RE: [BPQ32] file location error 4.09u

    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
      Mark,

      The "Using Config From" message is new. It is intended to make tracking down
      config problems easier.

      I've modified the config file search. What it is supposed to do is look
      first for the reg value "BPQ Directory". If that is not present it looks for
      "Config File Location". If that is not set, it looks in the current
      directory. This should be backward compatible with the old version, as
      AR-Cluster sets
      "Config File Location" to c:\program files\Ar-Cluster\BPQ32. If it fails to
      find the files, it looks like something is not working as I intended. Could
      you send me a dump of the registry tree "HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32" so I can
      investigate?

      There is a new program, SetRegistryPath in the release. If you run this from
      the directory containing your config files, it should set up the new
      registry entry.

      Regards,

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
        Folks,

        Looks like another foul-up from G8BPQ!

        The code is not doing what I intended. A new version will be released soon.

        It's probably worth explaining the reason for the change. There has always
        been a problem with running AR-Cluster and other BPQ applications, as
        AR-Cluster writes the "Config File Location" registry value every time it
        starts, so you can't put the BPQ files anywhere else. The new "BPQ
        Directory" key, apart from being a better description (it points to things
        other than the config file) gets round this problem, and lets you put your
        BPQ32 files wherever you like. I had intended the change to be backward
        compatible, but unfortunately messed it up.

        While I'm here, I'll document another change. Almost from the beginnings of
        BPQ32 there has been a problem whereby if you ran two or more BPQ
        applications, you could stop and restart the second and subsequent ones in
        any order, but if you closed the first one, the system would hang. This has
        now been fixed.

        73,
        John, G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
          John,
          SetRegistryPath fixed it. I originally tried setting the path using
          RegBPQ32.
          Thanks for the info. I knew it had to be something simple I missed.
          We should probably put that in the install docs somewhere.
          - Mark

          John Wiseman wrote:
          > Mark,
          >
          > The "Using Config From" message is new. It is intended to make tracking down
          > config problems easier.
          >
          > I've modified the config file search. What it is supposed to do is look
          > first for the reg value "BPQ Directory". If that is not present it looks for
          > "Config File Location". If that is not set, it looks in the current
          > directory. This should be backward compatible with the old version, as
          > AR-Cluster sets
          > "Config File Location" to c:\program files\Ar-Cluster\BPQ32. If it fails to
          > find the files, it looks like something is not working as I intended. Could
          > you send me a dump of the registry tree "HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32" so I can
          > investigate?
          >
          > There is a new program, SetRegistryPath in the release. If you run this from
          > the directory containing your config files, it should set up the new
          > registry entry.
          >
          > Regards,

        • Ron Stordahl
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
            Mark

            With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
            SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
            it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
            this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
            interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
            production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
            although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
            can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!

            This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
            yourself who try something we miss!

            Ron Stordahl, N5IN

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              Ron,
              I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
              a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
              handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
              side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
              my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).

              Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
              will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
              (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
              allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
              services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
              wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.

              I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
              out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.

              - Mark K2CAN

              Ron Stordahl wrote:
              > Mark
              >
              > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
              > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
              > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
              > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
              > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
              > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
              > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
              > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!
              >
              > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
              > yourself who try something we miss!
              >
              > Ron Stordahl, N5IN
            • Ron Stordahl
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                With a program which offers the OCX interface, such as AR-Cluster, there
                is no reason not to use it. Because I simultaneously run UI-View32 and
                UI-DX Bridge, both of which use the AGWPE iterface (UI-DX Bridge
                requires it), I elected to use the AGWtoBPQ interface on all three of
                them. This also allowed me to extensively test the AGWtoBPQ interface,
                and as I said, I run it exclusively on my production system. However I
                would encourage you to use the OCX interface instead...from a testing
                standpoint this would be very helpful.

                One complication is as I recall AR-Cluster (when using the OCX
                interface) starts BPQ32, and BPQ32 is likely to go to end if you close
                AR-Cluster. It's possible that if you are also running AGWtoBPQ.exe
                this may not happen...I have not tried that. If you find out let us know.

                As I said it is possible to use both at once, i.e. AR-Cluster can
                interface with OCX, and by running AGWtoBPQ.exe in the same folder you
                can at the same time interface with that to other programs via tcp.

                The combinations seem endless, making testing a little difficult...

                Ron Stordahl, N5IN

                Mark Harloff wrote:
                > Ron,
                > I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
                > a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
                > handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
                > side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
                > my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).
                >
                > Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
                > will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
                > (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
                > allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
                > services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
                > wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.
                >
                > I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
                > out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.
                >
                > - Mark K2CAN
                >

                > Ron Stordahl wrote:
                > > Mark
                > >
                > > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
                > > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
                > > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
                > > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
                > > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
                > > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
                > > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
                > > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all
                > this!!!
                > >
                > > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
                > > yourself who try something we miss!
                > >
                > > Ron Stordahl, N5IN

              • Roger Cooke
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                  Hi John.

                  Glad to see you are returning to the scene again!
                  I am looking to run two networked computers, one
                  running FBB and the other running my Satgate, which
                  needs to talk to FBB, and also the AR-Cluster node.
                  This will have to be accessed over the network from
                  FBB.

                  I was wondering if BPQ32 will cater for this? I was
                  going to try the old 4.08 but did not think it would
                  be too successful with the Cluster as well on the
                  Satgate machine.

                  The RF feed for the Cluster node will be on the
                  Satgate machine, with it's own 70Mhz radio.

                  73 de Roger, G3LDI

                  ---------------------------------

                  Terms of Service.

                  ---------------------------------

                • David Calder
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                        I'm up for hearing about this one! I have run FBB with BPQ for 16 years. I also have a DX node on the same
                        network. I would like the RF people to be able to connect to the BPQ node and select BBS or DX for the
                        cluster and take them there.

                        Right now I just have the node going to the FBB bbs. I'm still running 4.08A! The cluster is all telnet.

                        73 Dave

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                      Hi Roger - nice to hear from you after all these years!

                      Ok Dave. There are lots of options. You can run 'old' DOS BPQ applications in 2K/XP systems using BPQ1632. See the files section for the software. Version 7.01 of WinFBB will interface directly to BPQ32. I'm about to release a replacement for TFWIN and TFWIN32/TF2AGW which will allow 16 or 32bit versions of WFBB to use BPQ32.  If you are still running AK1A cluster that will work fine using BPQ1632. Or you can upgrade to either free or commercial Windows Cluster programs such as DXNet or AR-Cluster. Any of these would allow the user to select either BBS or DX.

                      I don't know much about SatGate - how does that link to FBB?

                      Regards,

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                        I run AR cluster. I'm running FBB under windows 98 with BPQ on a machine by itself. While I run the AR
                        cluster on a machine running Windows 2003 Server enterprise.

                        Dave