BPQ Mail and Chat Server Mail Forwarding from/to Winlink

  • oh5rm
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 6, 2010
      I am trying to configure my HF-WINMOR BBS to exchange messages with Winlink. For that do I need a RMS Packet server in my PC without radio ports?(How to do that?) Does the RMS Packet server need any BPQ32 configuration?
      All hints wellcome.

      73 Jouko OH5RM
    • Sergej
      Message 2 of 27 , Apr 6, 2010
        Hello, Jouko!

        > I am trying to configure my HF-WINMOR BBS to exchange messages with
        > Winlink. For that do I need a RMS Packet
        > server in my PC without radio ports?(How to do that?) Does the RMS
        > Packet server need any BPQ32 configuration?
        > All hints wellcome.

        Perhaps you mean use of BPQMailChat bbs in winmor mode?

        If yes, you can exchange mail with central Winlink server by several ways:

        1) by link your HF Winmor BPQMailChat to other HF Winmor RMS;
        2) by link over VHF packet to neighbor VHF packet-RMS station;
        3) by link to local RMS-packet installed on your PC;
        4) by link to any packet RMS'es available in NET/ROM packet nodes network.

        No.1 and No.2 make you station independent from internet.
        No.3 and No.4 need internet connection on your radio service PC.

        73, Sergej
        uz2hz
      • oh5rm
        Message 3 of 27 , Apr 6, 2010
          Hello Sergej,

          Yes I mean use of BPQMailChat bbs in winmor mode
          In the first phase I have only one HF-Winmor port, no VHF.
          So No.2 and No.4 fall out.( Is No 4 possible over Internet?)
          I would operate mainly on 80m and there are no HF (or VHF) Winmor RMS close, so also No. 1 falls out.
          The only remaining is No.3, but how to realize it, that is the question. Internet connection is no problem.

          Jouko OH5RM

          Message 4 of 27 , Apr 6, 2010
            Jouko,

            You can run RMS Packet on the same PC as the BPQMailChat and WINMOR, and send messages to Winlink via the Internet.

            You need to define an application to BPQ32. I have:

            APPLICATIONS=RMS,CHAT,FBB,BBS

            APPL1CALL=GM8BPQ-10

            APPL1ALIAS=BPQRMS

            APPL1QUAL=0

            RMS doesn't have to be the first application.

            In RMS Packet, configure it to use the BPQ32 interface, and set the APPLMASK in RMS Packet to match the application that you have defined for RMS.

            See  http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ%20Mail%20and%20Chat%20Server%20RMS%20Forwarding.htm for details of how to configure forwarding to/from Winlink in BPQMailChat.

            Message 5 of 27 , Apr 6, 2010
              > The only remaining is No.3, but how to realize it, that is the
              > question. Internet connection is no problem.

              For this case you need to download RMS Packet program from
              http://www.winlink.org/SysopSoftware
              install it and use BPQ32 as interface.
              MailChat will exchange mail with RMS Packet locally and
              then via internet to cental Winlink server.

              >Is No 4 possible over Internet?

              Of course. This will create a NETROM link over Internet to one of other
              NETROM/BPQ32 nodes. You will have own BPQ32 node with possiblity
              to extend your facility in future. Think here in group are
              several sysop that will be happy to open link with you.

              73, Sergej
              uz2hz
            • oh5rm
              Message 6 of 27 , Apr 6, 2010
                John and Serge,

                Thanks for the help.
                Initial tests made with BPQTerminal connected to the BPQMail and it seems to work OK. Maybe tomorrow live tests on 80m WINMOR.

                Jouko OH5RM
              • oh5rm
                Message 7 of 27 , Apr 8, 2010
                  When testing the setup today forward was no more working to WINLINK.
                  Here copy of typical BPQMail Monitor window
                  <OH5RM-13 sp rms:oh5rm@...
                  >OH5RM-13 Enter Title (only):
                  <OH5RM-13 FWDTEST
                  >OH5RM-13 Enter Message Text (end with /ex or ctrl/z)
                  <OH5RM-13 MSG
                  <OH5RM-13 /ex
                  ?OH5RM-13 Routing Trace @ winlink.org, but local RMS user - leave here
                  >OH5RM-13 Message: 4 Bid: 4_OH5RM Size: 5
                  >OH5RM-13 de OH5RM>

                  I cannot understand why the message says ..."local RMS user, leave here". I dont know of any changes in configurations.

                  RMS Packet is working OK when connected directly.
                  Any help welcome.

                  73 Jouko OH5RM

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "oh5rm" <oh5rm@...> wrote:

                  > John and Serge,
                  >
                  > Thanks for the help.
                  > Initial tests made with BPQTerminal connected to the BPQMail and it seems to work OK. Maybe tomorrow live tests on 80m WINMOR.
                  >
                  > Jouko OH5RM

                • Kenneth Jacobs
                  Message 8 of 27 , Apr 8, 2010
                    Hello Jouko,

                    If you are sending a message to a user@... who also has a
                    mailbox on the bbs, the bbs does not send the message to the RMS. It
                    simply places it in the mailbox for the user.

                    Try sending a message to an address for somebody who is not a user on
                    the BBS...it should go through fine.

                    Ken KD6PGI
                    Hood River County ARES
                    AEC - Digital

                    Message 9 of 27 , Apr 8, 2010
                      Jouko,

                      This is a bug in mailchat. It should keep message to yourcall@..., but not others.

                      I'm on my boat at the momemt, but will look into it when I get back

                      Message 10 of 27 , Apr 8, 2010
                        Oops...just noticed that you were trying to send to an your callsign at
                        an outside email address...that should have gone through. John is right,
                        there is a bug there.

                        Ken KD6PGI
                        Hood River County ARES
                        AEC - Digital

                        On 4/8/2010 11:30 AM, Kenneth Jacobs wrote:
                        > Hello Jouko,
                        >
                        > If you are sending a message to a user@... who also has a
                        > mailbox on the bbs, the bbs does not send the message to the RMS. It
                        > simply places it in the mailbox for the user.
                        >
                        > Try sending a message to an address for somebody who is not a user on
                        > the BBS...it should go through fine.
                        >
                        > Ken KD6PGI
                        > Hood River County ARES
                        > AEC - Digital
                        >
                        > On 4/8/2010 11:13 AM, oh5rm wrote:
                        >>

                        >> When testing the setup today forward was no more working to WINLINK.
                        >> Here copy of typical BPQMail Monitor window
                        >> <OH5RM-13 sp rms:oh5rm@...<mailto:oh5rm%40sral.fi>
                        >> >OH5RM-13 Enter Title (only):
                        >> <OH5RM-13 FWDTEST
                        >> >OH5RM-13 Enter Message Text (end with /ex or ctrl/z)
                        >> <OH5RM-13 MSG
                        >> <OH5RM-13 /ex
                        >> ?OH5RM-13 Routing Trace @ winlink.org, but local RMS user - leave here
                        >> >OH5RM-13 Message: 4 Bid: 4_OH5RM Size: 5
                        >> >OH5RM-13 de OH5RM>
                        >>
                        >> I cannot understand why the message says ..."local RMS user, leave
                        >> here". I dont know of any changes in configurations.
                        >>
                        >> RMS Packet is working OK when connected directly.
                        >> Any help welcome.
                        >>
                        >> 73 Jouko OH5RM
                        >>
                        >> --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com<mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "oh5rm"
                        >> <oh5rm@...> wrote:
                        >> >

                        >> > John and Serge,
                        >> >
                        >> > Thanks for the help.
                        >> > Initial tests made with BPQTerminal connected to the BPQMail and it
                        >> seems to work OK. Maybe tomorrow live tests on 80m WINMOR.
                        >> >
                        >> > Jouko OH5RM

                      • oh5rm
                        Message 11 of 27 , Apr 8, 2010
                          OK, good to know, because I have tried during the day everything possible, but it keeps the messages from all senders to all addresses and will not forward anything to WL.

                          The mystery however is why it worked OK in the first tests. But after system restart there came this problem.

                          Jouko OH5RM

                          Message 12 of 27 , Apr 8, 2010
                            Hummm....I just tried sending a message to rms/kd6pgi@... using
                            the BPQ BBS console. It went to the RMS fine and was delivered to my
                            email box just as it should.

                            Ken KD6PGI
                            Hood River County ARES
                            AEC - Digital

                            On 4/8/2010 11:51 AM, John Wiseman wrote:

                            > Jouko,
                            >
                            > This is a bug in mailchat. It should keep message to
                            > yourcall@... <mailto:yourcall%40winlink.org>, but not others.
                            >
                            > I'm on my boat at the momemt, but will look into it when I get back

                          • oh5rm
                            Message 13 of 27 , Apr 8, 2010
                              Hmmmm... Really strange.
                              Which version are you Ken using? Have you tried rms:kd6pgi ?
                              I think I first used ...m but now have two times un/installed and using the latest...n.
                              It then looks like there in sw is some flag not to send to RMS and when it once is set it cannot be resetted, not even by new installation????? In some "hidden" file??

                              Jouko OH5RM

                              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

                              > Hummm....I just tried sending a message to rms/kd6pgi@... using
                              > the BPQ BBS console. It went to the RMS fine and was delivered to my
                              > email box just as it should.
                              >
                              > Ken KD6PGI
                              > Hood River County ARES
                              > AEC - Digital

                            • Kenneth Jacobs
                              Message 14 of 27 , Apr 9, 2010
                                Hello Jouko,

                                I am running the very latest version...and we use the RMS feature very
                                heavily in our area.

                                I just sent a test message to you using BBS console and addressed to
                                rms:oh5rm@.......the same address listed in your original post. I am
                                not sure what would happen if you used only rms:kd6pgi as we have never
                                tried that. However, BPQMail will not send a message to RMS if the
                                callsign@... is also listed as a user on the BBS. It simply
                                leaves the message on the BBS for that user to pickup.

                                I assume on your BBS you have a user setup as RMS. That should be marked
                                as a BBS, but NOT marked to poll RMS. You only set the poll RMS checkbox
                                for the users you would like to poll winlink traffic.

                                How is your forwarding setup for the RMS?

                                Ken KD6PGI
                                Hood River County ARES
                                AEC - Digital

                                On 4/8/2010 11:38 PM, oh5rm wrote:

                                > Hmmmm... Really strange.
                                > Which version are you Ken using? Have you tried rms:kd6pgi ?
                                > I think I first used ...m but now have two times un/installed and using
                                > the latest...n.
                                > It then looks like there in sw is some flag not to send to RMS and when
                                > it once is set it cannot be resetted, not even by new installation?????
                                > In some "hidden" file??
                                >
                                > Jouko OH5RM
                                >
                                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, Kenneth
                                > Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hummm....I just tried sending a message to rms/kd6pgi@... using
                                > > the BPQ BBS console. It went to the RMS fine and was delivered to my
                                > > email box just as it should.
                                > >
                                > > Ken KD6PGI
                                > > Hood River County ARES
                                > > AEC - Digital

                              • oh5rm
                                Message 15 of 27 , Apr 9, 2010
                                  Yes RMS WAS marked poll RMS. By removing it all seems to work OK.
                                  I was so sure I did read somewhere it should be set that I din't try that alternative, but everything else during two days, HI
                                  Thanks for the patience and help.

                                  Jouko OH5RM

                                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Jacobs <kd6pgi@...> wrote:

                                  > Hello Jouko,
                                  >
                                  > I am running the very latest version...and we use the RMS feature very
                                  > heavily in our area.
                                  >
                                  > I just sent a test message to you using BBS console and addressed to
                                  > rms:oh5rm@... same address listed in your original post. I am
                                  > not sure what would happen if you used only rms:kd6pgi as we have never
                                  > tried that. However, BPQMail will not send a message to RMS if the
                                  > callsign@... is also listed as a user on the BBS. It simply
                                  > leaves the message on the BBS for that user to pickup.
                                  >
                                  > I assume on your BBS you have a user setup as RMS. That should be marked
                                  > as a BBS, but NOT marked to poll RMS. You only set the poll RMS checkbox
                                  > for the users you would like to poll winlink traffic.
                                  >
                                  > How is your forwarding setup for the RMS?
                                  >

                                  > Ken KD6PGI
                                  > Hood River County ARES
                                  > AEC - Digital
                                  >
                                  > On 4/8/2010 11:38 PM, oh5rm wrote:
                                  > >

                                  > > Hmmmm... Really strange.
                                  > > Which version are you Ken using? Have you tried rms:kd6pgi ?
                                  > > I think I first used ...m but now have two times un/installed and using
                                  > > the latest...n.
                                  > > It then looks like there in sw is some flag not to send to RMS and when
                                  > > it once is set it cannot be resetted, not even by new installation?????
                                  > > In some "hidden" file??
                                  > >
                                  > > Jouko OH5RM
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, Kenneth
                                  > > Jacobs <kd6pgi@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Hummm....I just tried sending a message to rms/kd6pgi@ using
                                  > > > the BPQ BBS console. It went to the RMS fine and was delivered to my
                                  > > > email box just as it should.
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Ken KD6PGI
                                  > > > Hood River County ARES
                                  > > > AEC - Digital

                                • kevinld76
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                    I am trying to configure the forwarding option for the user RMS I created as the documentation states but I feel I have missed something. Messages just will not forward out to the CMS. Can anyone provide me with a screen shot of what their configuration looks like for this?

                                    Thanks!

                                  • Dave
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015
                                    • 1 Attachment
                                    • 246 KB

                                    On 12/14/2015 10:59 AM, kevinld76@... [BPQ32] wrote:

                                    I am trying to configure the forwarding option for the user RMS I created as the documentation states but I feel I have missed something. Messages just will not forward out to the CMS. Can anyone provide me with a screen shot of what their configuration looks like for this?

                                    Thanks!

                                    Do you have user RMS configured as a BBS?

                                  • Dave
                                    Message 18 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015
                                      Oh yes, if you want to poll for incoming messages, you also need to check the "request reverse" box.

                                      On 12/14/2015 10:59 AM, kevinld76@... [BPQ32] wrote:

                                      I am trying to configure the forwarding option for the user RMS I created as the documentation states but I feel I have missed something. Messages just will not forward out to the CMS. Can anyone provide me with a screen shot of what their configuration looks like for this?

                                      Thanks!

                                    • Kevin Davidson
                                      Message 19 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                        I seem to have everything correct based on your sample but when I send a personal message addressed to an @... is simply comes back to the SYSOP.

                                        Message 20 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                                          Do you have the user account in BPQ-Mail authorized for  Permit Email and possible SSID?

                                          73 Bill

                                          N9ACQ

                                        • Kevin Davidson
                                          Message 21 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                            Yes those are both selected. I am at a loss here. I am new to this and its definitely thrown me for a loop. Its odd because the messages always make their way back to the SYSOP bbs account.

                                            Message 22 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015
                                              are you sending the message to yourself?
                                              Try using a different e-mail address.
                                              Dave

                                              Message 23 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                                Ive tried sending messages to various @... addresses as well as a standard email address. I am wondering if my config file is this issue somewhere.

                                                Message 24 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                                                  The BPQ port definitions, User definitions and forwarding scripts are all interrelated. I would need the BPQ32.config, BPQMail.cfg files and screen shots of the user definitions and forwarding configuration for each user.

                                                  73 Bill

                                                  N9ACQ

                                                  Message 25 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015
                                                    Can you send me the LOG_BBS output for when you queued the message. I may be
                                                    able to see from that what is going on.

                                                    Message 26 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                                    personal message addressed to an @winlink.org is simply comes back to the

                                                    Message 27 of 27 , Dec 14, 2015

                                                      Kevin,

                                                      151214 11:30:45 |RMS       RMS Disconnected

                                                      151214 11:32:44 ?          Msg 60 Routing Trace To RMS Via KD5WVV@...

                                                      151214 11:32:44 ?          Message @ winlink.org, but local RMS user - leave here

                                                      The message to KD5WVV is not sent, as you are set up to collect messages for him from the CMS, so there is no point in sending it, as it will immediately be sent back

                                                      151214 11:37:43 ?          Msg 61 Routing Trace To RMS Via KD5WVW@...

                                                      151214 11:37:43 ?          Routing Trace to RMS Matches BBS RMS

                                                      The message to KD5WVW is queued to go to the CMS

                                                      151214 11:37:52 |RMS       Connecting to BBS RMS

                                                      151214 11:37:52 <RMS       *** CONNECTED

                                                      151214 11:37:52 >RMS       CMS

                                                      151214 11:37:53 <RMS       Trying sandiego.winlink.org

                                                      151214 11:37:53 <RMS       *** N5CST Connected to CMS

                                                      151214 11:37:53 <RMS       [WL2K-3.2-B2FWIHJM$]

                                                      151214 11:37:53 <RMS       ;PQ: 55915554

                                                      151214 11:37:53 <RMS       SanDiego CMS via N5CST >

                                                      151214 11:37:53 >RMS       ;FW: N5CST KD5WVV|88623291

                                                      151214 11:37:53 >RMS       [BPQ-1.4.65.1-B2FIHJM$]

                                                      151214 11:37:54 >RMS       ;PR: 07490805

                                                      151214 11:37:54 ?RMS       B2 From KD5WVV

                                                      151214 11:37:54 ?RMS       B2 From Finally KD5WVV

                                                      151214 11:37:54 |          Compressed Message Comp Len 173 Msg Len 196 CRC 585e

                                                      151214 11:37:54 ?RMS       B2 From KD5WVV

                                                      151214 11:37:54 ?RMS       B2 From Finally KD5WVV

                                                      151214 11:37:54 |          Compressed Message Comp Len 171 Msg Len 190 CRC f92c

                                                      151214 11:37:54 >RMS       FC EM 59_N5CST 196 173 0

                                                      151214 11:37:54 >RMS       FC EM 61_N5CST 190 171 0

                                                      151214 11:37:54 >RMS       F> 35

                                                      151214 11:37:54 <RMS       *** [1] Secure login failed - account password does not match. - Disconnecting (184.180.253.197)

                                                      151214 11:37:54 >RMS       *** Protocol Error - Line should start with 'F'

                                                      151214 11:37:55 |RMS       RMS Disconnected

                                                      You connect to the CMS, but there is a password authentication error. You probably have the wrong password set for N5CST.

                                                      73, John