Re: file location error 4.09u

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6 8:24 AM
      Mark

      Are you using BPQ32 with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface or the AGW
      interface? If you are using the OCX interface then you must have the
      BPQ32 files in the BPQ32 subdirectory of AR-Cluster as AR-Cluster
      writes the path as such. If you are using the OCX interface probably
      the easiest solution would be to reinstall the package into that
      specific directory. I would discuss the AGW interface, but it seems
      most likely that you are experiencing this problem when using the OCX
      interface...so lets attack that first.

      Ron, N5IN

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6 8:55 AM
        Mark,

        The "Using Config From" message is new. It is intended to make tracking down
        config problems easier.

        I've modified the config file search. What it is supposed to do is look
        first for the reg value "BPQ Directory". If that is not present it looks for
        "Config File Location". If that is not set, it looks in the current
        directory. This should be backward compatible with the old version, as
        AR-Cluster sets
        "Config File Location" to c:\program files\Ar-Cluster\BPQ32. If it fails to
        find the files, it looks like something is not working as I intended. Could
        you send me a dump of the registry tree "HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32" so I can
        investigate?

        There is a new program, SetRegistryPath in the release. If you run this from
        the directory containing your config files, it should set up the new
        registry entry.

        Regards,

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6 9:36 AM
          Folks,

          Looks like another foul-up from G8BPQ!

          The code is not doing what I intended. A new version will be released soon.

          It's probably worth explaining the reason for the change. There has always
          been a problem with running AR-Cluster and other BPQ applications, as
          AR-Cluster writes the "Config File Location" registry value every time it
          starts, so you can't put the BPQ files anywhere else. The new "BPQ
          Directory" key, apart from being a better description (it points to things
          other than the config file) gets round this problem, and lets you put your
          BPQ32 files wherever you like. I had intended the change to be backward
          compatible, but unfortunately messed it up.

          While I'm here, I'll document another change. Almost from the beginnings of
          BPQ32 there has been a problem whereby if you ran two or more BPQ
          applications, you could stop and restart the second and subsequent ones in
          any order, but if you closed the first one, the system would hang. This has
          now been fixed.

          73,
          John, G8BPQ

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6 10:57 AM
            John,
            SetRegistryPath fixed it. I originally tried setting the path using
            RegBPQ32.
            Thanks for the info. I knew it had to be something simple I missed.
            We should probably put that in the install docs somewhere.
            - Mark

            John Wiseman wrote:
            > Mark,
            >
            > The "Using Config From" message is new. It is intended to make tracking down
            > config problems easier.
            >
            > I've modified the config file search. What it is supposed to do is look
            > first for the reg value "BPQ Directory". If that is not present it looks for
            > "Config File Location". If that is not set, it looks in the current
            > directory. This should be backward compatible with the old version, as
            > AR-Cluster sets
            > "Config File Location" to c:\program files\Ar-Cluster\BPQ32. If it fails to
            > find the files, it looks like something is not working as I intended. Could
            > you send me a dump of the registry tree "HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32" so I can
            > investigate?
            >
            > There is a new program, SetRegistryPath in the release. If you run this from
            > the directory containing your config files, it should set up the new
            > registry entry.
            >
            > Regards,

          • Ron Stordahl
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6 11:21 AM
              Mark

              With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
              SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
              it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
              this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
              interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
              production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
              although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
              can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!

              This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
              yourself who try something we miss!

              Ron Stordahl, N5IN

            • Mark Harloff
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6 11:34 AM
                Ron,
                I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
                a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
                handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
                side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
                my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).

                Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
                will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
                (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
                allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
                services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
                wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.

                I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
                out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.

                - Mark K2CAN

                Ron Stordahl wrote:
                > Mark
                >
                > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
                > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
                > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
                > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
                > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
                > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
                > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
                > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!
                >
                > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
                > yourself who try something we miss!
                >
                > Ron Stordahl, N5IN
              • Ron Stordahl
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6 11:50 AM
                  With a program which offers the OCX interface, such as AR-Cluster, there
                  is no reason not to use it. Because I simultaneously run UI-View32 and
                  UI-DX Bridge, both of which use the AGWPE iterface (UI-DX Bridge
                  requires it), I elected to use the AGWtoBPQ interface on all three of
                  them. This also allowed me to extensively test the AGWtoBPQ interface,
                  and as I said, I run it exclusively on my production system. However I
                  would encourage you to use the OCX interface instead...from a testing
                  standpoint this would be very helpful.

                  One complication is as I recall AR-Cluster (when using the OCX
                  interface) starts BPQ32, and BPQ32 is likely to go to end if you close
                  AR-Cluster. It's possible that if you are also running AGWtoBPQ.exe
                  this may not happen...I have not tried that. If you find out let us know.

                  As I said it is possible to use both at once, i.e. AR-Cluster can
                  interface with OCX, and by running AGWtoBPQ.exe in the same folder you
                  can at the same time interface with that to other programs via tcp.

                  The combinations seem endless, making testing a little difficult...

                  Ron Stordahl, N5IN

                  Mark Harloff wrote:
                  > Ron,
                  > I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
                  > a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
                  > handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
                  > side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
                  > my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).
                  >
                  > Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
                  > will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
                  > (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
                  > allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
                  > services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
                  > wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.
                  >
                  > I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
                  > out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.
                  >
                  > - Mark K2CAN
                  >

                  > Ron Stordahl wrote:
                  > > Mark
                  > >
                  > > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
                  > > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
                  > > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
                  > > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
                  > > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
                  > > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
                  > > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
                  > > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all
                  > this!!!
                  > >
                  > > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
                  > > yourself who try something we miss!
                  > >
                  > > Ron Stordahl, N5IN

                • Roger Cooke
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7 8:15 AM
                    Hi John.

                    Glad to see you are returning to the scene again!
                    I am looking to run two networked computers, one
                    running FBB and the other running my Satgate, which
                    needs to talk to FBB, and also the AR-Cluster node.
                    This will have to be accessed over the network from
                    FBB.

                    I was wondering if BPQ32 will cater for this? I was
                    going to try the old 4.08 but did not think it would
                    be too successful with the Cluster as well on the
                    Satgate machine.

                    The RF feed for the Cluster node will be on the
                    Satgate machine, with it's own 70Mhz radio.

                    73 de Roger, G3LDI

                    ---------------------------------

                    Terms of Service.

                    ---------------------------------

                  • David Calder
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 7 8:28 AM
                          I'm up for hearing about this one! I have run FBB with BPQ for 16 years. I also have a DX node on the same
                          network. I would like the RF people to be able to connect to the BPQ node and select BBS or DX for the
                          cluster and take them there.

                          Right now I just have the node going to the FBB bbs. I'm still running 4.08A! The cluster is all telnet.

                          73 Dave

                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 7 8:55 AM
                        Hi Roger - nice to hear from you after all these years!

                        Ok Dave. There are lots of options. You can run 'old' DOS BPQ applications in 2K/XP systems using BPQ1632. See the files section for the software. Version 7.01 of WinFBB will interface directly to BPQ32. I'm about to release a replacement for TFWIN and TFWIN32/TF2AGW which will allow 16 or 32bit versions of WFBB to use BPQ32.  If you are still running AK1A cluster that will work fine using BPQ1632. Or you can upgrade to either free or commercial Windows Cluster programs such as DXNet or AR-Cluster. Any of these would allow the user to select either BBS or DX.

                        I don't know much about SatGate - how does that link to FBB?

                        Regards,

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 7 9:09 AM
                          I run AR cluster. I'm running FBB under windows 98 with BPQ on a machine by itself. While I run the AR
                          cluster on a machine running Windows 2003 Server enterprise.

                          Dave