file location error 4.09u

  • Mark Harloff
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
      When I uprev'd to 4.09u I ran into the following problem..

      When AR Cluster starts BPQ32 the dos screen for BPQ32 reports-

      'Using config from: C:\Program Files\AR-Cluster'

      This causes a runtime error IF the BPQ32 files are anywhere other than
      in the main AR subdirectory. (the error is produced if the files are in-
      C:\Program Files\AR-Cluster\BPQ32)

      This is the first version I have seen this line in. Any idea how to get
      BPQ32 to see the correct file directory when it is started by ARC?
      (the registry is config'd correctly to show the path to BPQ32)

      - Mark K2CAN
    • Ron Stordahl N5IN
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
        Mark

        Are you using BPQ32 with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface or the AGW
        interface? If you are using the OCX interface then you must have the
        BPQ32 files in the BPQ32 subdirectory of AR-Cluster as AR-Cluster
        writes the path as such. If you are using the OCX interface probably
        the easiest solution would be to reinstall the package into that
        specific directory. I would discuss the AGW interface, but it seems
        most likely that you are experiencing this problem when using the OCX
        interface...so lets attack that first.

        Ron, N5IN

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
          Mark,

          The "Using Config From" message is new. It is intended to make tracking down
          config problems easier.

          I've modified the config file search. What it is supposed to do is look
          first for the reg value "BPQ Directory". If that is not present it looks for
          "Config File Location". If that is not set, it looks in the current
          directory. This should be backward compatible with the old version, as
          AR-Cluster sets
          "Config File Location" to c:\program files\Ar-Cluster\BPQ32. If it fails to
          find the files, it looks like something is not working as I intended. Could
          you send me a dump of the registry tree "HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32" so I can
          investigate?

          There is a new program, SetRegistryPath in the release. If you run this from
          the directory containing your config files, it should set up the new
          registry entry.

          Regards,

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
            Folks,

            Looks like another foul-up from G8BPQ!

            The code is not doing what I intended. A new version will be released soon.

            It's probably worth explaining the reason for the change. There has always
            been a problem with running AR-Cluster and other BPQ applications, as
            AR-Cluster writes the "Config File Location" registry value every time it
            starts, so you can't put the BPQ files anywhere else. The new "BPQ
            Directory" key, apart from being a better description (it points to things
            other than the config file) gets round this problem, and lets you put your
            BPQ32 files wherever you like. I had intended the change to be backward
            compatible, but unfortunately messed it up.

            While I'm here, I'll document another change. Almost from the beginnings of
            BPQ32 there has been a problem whereby if you ran two or more BPQ
            applications, you could stop and restart the second and subsequent ones in
            any order, but if you closed the first one, the system would hang. This has
            now been fixed.

            73,
            John, G8BPQ

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
              John,
              SetRegistryPath fixed it. I originally tried setting the path using
              RegBPQ32.
              Thanks for the info. I knew it had to be something simple I missed.
              We should probably put that in the install docs somewhere.
              - Mark

              John Wiseman wrote:
              > Mark,
              >
              > The "Using Config From" message is new. It is intended to make tracking down
              > config problems easier.
              >
              > I've modified the config file search. What it is supposed to do is look
              > first for the reg value "BPQ Directory". If that is not present it looks for
              > "Config File Location". If that is not set, it looks in the current
              > directory. This should be backward compatible with the old version, as
              > AR-Cluster sets
              > "Config File Location" to c:\program files\Ar-Cluster\BPQ32. If it fails to
              > find the files, it looks like something is not working as I intended. Could
              > you send me a dump of the registry tree "HKLM\Software\G8BPQ\BPQ32" so I can
              > investigate?
              >
              > There is a new program, SetRegistryPath in the release. If you run this from
              > the directory containing your config files, it should set up the new
              > registry entry.
              >
              > Regards,

            • Ron Stordahl
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                Mark

                With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
                SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
                it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
                this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
                interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
                production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
                although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
                can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!

                This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
                yourself who try something we miss!

                Ron Stordahl, N5IN

              • Mark Harloff
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                  Ron,
                  I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
                  a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
                  handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
                  side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
                  my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).

                  Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
                  will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
                  (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
                  allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
                  services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
                  wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.

                  I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
                  out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.

                  - Mark K2CAN

                  Ron Stordahl wrote:
                  > Mark
                  >
                  > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
                  > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
                  > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
                  > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
                  > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
                  > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
                  > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
                  > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all this!!!
                  >
                  > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
                  > yourself who try something we miss!
                  >
                  > Ron Stordahl, N5IN
                • Ron Stordahl
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 6, 2006
                    With a program which offers the OCX interface, such as AR-Cluster, there
                    is no reason not to use it. Because I simultaneously run UI-View32 and
                    UI-DX Bridge, both of which use the AGWPE iterface (UI-DX Bridge
                    requires it), I elected to use the AGWtoBPQ interface on all three of
                    them. This also allowed me to extensively test the AGWtoBPQ interface,
                    and as I said, I run it exclusively on my production system. However I
                    would encourage you to use the OCX interface instead...from a testing
                    standpoint this would be very helpful.

                    One complication is as I recall AR-Cluster (when using the OCX
                    interface) starts BPQ32, and BPQ32 is likely to go to end if you close
                    AR-Cluster. It's possible that if you are also running AGWtoBPQ.exe
                    this may not happen...I have not tried that. If you find out let us know.

                    As I said it is possible to use both at once, i.e. AR-Cluster can
                    interface with OCX, and by running AGWtoBPQ.exe in the same folder you
                    can at the same time interface with that to other programs via tcp.

                    The combinations seem endless, making testing a little difficult...

                    Ron Stordahl, N5IN

                    Mark Harloff wrote:
                    > Ron,
                    > I'm not sure the AGWtoBPQ interface would help me here since I only use
                    > a kiss port and an AXIP port to link the switch to a FlexDigi which
                    > handles all the RF side and an XRouter node which handles the internet
                    > side. If you think using the AGWto BPQ interface would be beneficial in
                    > my situation, I am all ears (or eyes in this case, hi).
                    >
                    > Now that the TelnetServer within BPQ32 has been made more versatile, I
                    > will be eliminating the XRouter setup and will use BPQ32 as a Node
                    > (instead of just application support as I have in the past). That will
                    > allow me to use just two computers instead of three to provide the same
                    > services. I'll probably be putting the lastest releases through a pretty
                    > wide range of tests so be prepared for lot's of feedback.
                    >
                    > I understand about the 'beta' releases and am more than happy to help
                    > out with testing and de-bugging whenever I can, my pleasure.
                    >
                    > - Mark K2CAN
                    >

                    > Ron Stordahl wrote:
                    > > Mark
                    > >
                    > > With the just published beta it should not be necessary to use
                    > > SetRegistryPath.exe with AR-Cluster using the OCX interface. However
                    > > it's been a while since I used the OCX interface with ARC, so I missed
                    > > this on the prior beta. For quite some time I have used the AGWtoBPQ
                    > > interface instead with AR-Cluster. In fact I run the beta on my
                    > > production N5IN AR-Cluster system with that interface. I prefer it,
                    > > although there is no compelling reason to abandon the OCX. In fact both
                    > > can be used at once! I tremble when I think of how to explain all
                    > this!!!
                    > >
                    > > This is what beta is all about...and why we appreciate people like
                    > > yourself who try something we miss!
                    > >
                    > > Ron Stordahl, N5IN

                  • Roger Cooke
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                      Hi John.

                      Glad to see you are returning to the scene again!
                      I am looking to run two networked computers, one
                      running FBB and the other running my Satgate, which
                      needs to talk to FBB, and also the AR-Cluster node.
                      This will have to be accessed over the network from
                      FBB.

                      I was wondering if BPQ32 will cater for this? I was
                      going to try the old 4.08 but did not think it would
                      be too successful with the Cluster as well on the
                      Satgate machine.

                      The RF feed for the Cluster node will be on the
                      Satgate machine, with it's own 70Mhz radio.

                      73 de Roger, G3LDI

                      ---------------------------------

                      Terms of Service.

                      ---------------------------------

                    • David Calder
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                            I'm up for hearing about this one! I have run FBB with BPQ for 16 years. I also have a DX node on the same
                            network. I would like the RF people to be able to connect to the BPQ node and select BBS or DX for the
                            cluster and take them there.

                            Right now I just have the node going to the FBB bbs. I'm still running 4.08A! The cluster is all telnet.

                            73 Dave

                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                          Hi Roger - nice to hear from you after all these years!

                          Ok Dave. There are lots of options. You can run 'old' DOS BPQ applications in 2K/XP systems using BPQ1632. See the files section for the software. Version 7.01 of WinFBB will interface directly to BPQ32. I'm about to release a replacement for TFWIN and TFWIN32/TF2AGW which will allow 16 or 32bit versions of WFBB to use BPQ32.  If you are still running AK1A cluster that will work fine using BPQ1632. Or you can upgrade to either free or commercial Windows Cluster programs such as DXNet or AR-Cluster. Any of these would allow the user to select either BBS or DX.

                          I don't know much about SatGate - how does that link to FBB?

                          Regards,

                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 7, 2006
                            I run AR cluster. I'm running FBB under windows 98 with BPQ on a machine by itself. While I run the AR
                            cluster on a machine running Windows 2003 Server enterprise.

                            Dave