Re: Winmor TNC Warning

  • Howard Z
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 4, 2010
      So...

      Where do we download the latest WINMOR TNC?

      Also, in BPQ Terminal after we attach to the port for WINMOR TNC, what are the commands we can type in? How do we connect to another BPQ WINMOR TNC capable station?

      Howard

      > The version of the WINMOR TNC on the WINMOR Yahoo group (4.1.11) is NOT
      > fully compatible with the latest BPQ32 winmor.dll..
      >
      > You need at least Version 1.0.0.1. There is scope for comfusion here, but
      > 4.1.11 is actually 0.4.1.11, and is lover than 1.0.0.1

    • Rick Muething
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 4, 2010

        Howard,/All,

        I have posted the latest WINMOR TNC on:

        And I have sent the latest to John Wiseman.

        The latest version of WINMOR TNC is 1.0.1.0

        Rick KN6KB

        href="http://www.spamfighter.com/len">http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len>

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
          Events move quickly...

          The email announcing the latest update included a link (http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/Using%20WINMOR.htm)  to a document that has a link to the version of the WINMOR TNC (1.0.0.1).that works with the releaaed  BPQ32 winmor.dll

          Section 3 of that documents details the BPQ32 specifc commands that can be issued after an ATTACH, in addtion to the commands that are documented in the "Spec for WINMOR TNC.doc" included with the WINMOR TNC distribution.

          Rick has recently made some changes to the TNC, and these may cause problems to the released version of winmor.dll. I am currently testing a new version, and will hopefully make it available later today. In the meantime, if you are using the version of winmor.dll in the current BPQ32 installer, please stick to version 1.0.0.1, downlaodable from

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
            Thanks Rick,

            Got it.

            Howard

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

            > Howard,/All,
            >

            > I have posted the latest WINMOR TNC on:

            > And I have sent the latest to John Wiseman.
            >

            > The latest version of WINMOR TNC is 1.0.1.0
            >

            > Rick KN6KB
            >

            > _____

          • Howard Z
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
              Ok,

              Let me see...

              I see where to specify the Audio In and Audio Out.
              That's done in Winmor and stored it Winmor's INI file.

              Where does one specify PTT?
              The COM port and RTS/DTR?
              This should be in the host program - i.e. BPQ ???

              Howard
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                From the BPQ32 WINMOR documentation:

                The driver supports PTT control via a serial port, using the DTR and/or RTS control lines, or ICOM CI-V commands, via the Rig Control Driver.

                and

                The WINMOR driver is configured via file BPQtoWINMOR.cfg.

                The first line defines which BPQ Port this config relates to, the IP address and Port of the WINMOR TNC, an optional PTT paameter, and an optional application for incoming WINMOR connects to be routed to. If PTT is omitted, VOX operation is assumed, and if the application is omitted, calls are connected to the Node command interpreter. You will need this if you want to accept calls from software that doesn't have a connect script, such as RMS Express.

                Typical first lines are:

                PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500                No PTT (ie use VOX), Connects to Command Handler
                PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 BBS            No PTT, route incoming connections to the BBS
                PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT DTR        PTT control via DTR Line, Connects to Command Handle
                PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT CI-V BBS   PTT cotrol via CI-V commands, route incoming connections to the BBS

                Other PTT options are PTT RTS, PTT DTRRTS

                From the Rig Control Driver Documentation

                RigControl.cfg

                #
                #	Config file for RigContol
                #
                #	One copy of RigControl can support more than one Serial interface.
                #
                #	The ICOM implemetation allows more than one rig to be attached to the same interface
                #
                #	The COM Line defines a Serial Connection, and the type of radio
                #
                #	For a Port that just provides PTT control via the serial port RTS or DTR Lines, use TYPE of PTTONLY
                #

                COM65 19200 PTTONLY

                # For PTT control, specify only a Name and a BPQ Port Number.

                RADIO IC7000 4

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010

                  Howard,

                  The host can also set the audio capture/playback and read the available sound cards from the TNC.

                  The host program takes care of the PTT …It receives a PTT True/PTT False signal from the WINMOR TNC

                  The host can chose to:

                  Ignore the PTT signals from the TNC and let the audio key the radio or sound card (e.g. SignaLink) via VOX

                  or

                  Key the radio via RS232 control port (Some radios). This would be the same port used for setting frequency, filter etc. Not all radios support serial port PTT keying but this is one of the cleanest ways if your radio does.

                  or

                  Key the radio via a dedicated RS232 port using DTR or RTS.

                  We did not key the radio in the TNC since if you are using a radio control port for PTT keying it would cause a port conflict. Best done in the host.

                  Rick KN6KB

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                    Here is a portion of my bpqcfg.txt file
                    the Winmore is the third port I have defined here:

                    PORT
                    PORTNUM=3
                    ID=WINMOR Port 1
                    TYPE=EXTERNAL
                    PROTOCOL=WINMOR
                    DLLNAME=WINMOR.DLL
                    PORTCALL=CALL ; Optional - set if you want to accept connects to a call other than the Node Call.
                    ;INTERLOCK=n; ; Optional - set if you have two ports sharing the same radio.
                    ; Set the same Interlock value on both ports.
                    QUALITY=0
                    ENDPORT

                    Here is my BPQtoWINMOR file:
                    Note that I must enter PORT 3 or else the BPQ WINMOR TNC window will not appear. But actually the PTT port is COM8 - so I have no place to enter COM8

                    ; Config file for BPQtoWINMOR
                    ;
                    ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500
                    ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 BBS
                    ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT DTR
                    ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT CI-V BBS
                    PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT RTS
                    CWID True
                    DEBUGLOG True
                    LOG True
                    BW 1600
                    DRIVELEVEL 88
                    MODE AUTO
                    ROBUST False
                    SHOW True
                    BUSYLOCK True

                    Last, but not least, here is the WINMOR TNC.ini file

                    [WINMOR TNC Form]
                    TCP Control Port=8500
                    MyCallsign=N3ZH
                    MyGridsquare=FM19MB
                    StartMinimized=False
                    DebugLog=True
                    CaptureDevice=Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)-6a
                    PlaybackDevice=Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)-a3
                    ResponseDelay=100
                    LeaderExtension=0
                    Top=295
                    Left=42

                    BTW, BPQ32 BLOWS up every time.
                    I run the BPQ terminal, enter attach 3, then C followed by a callsign - then blows up.

                    Howard
                  • Art Bertheaume
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                      Howard
                      The "port" in BPQtoWinmor refers to the Winmor port you have set for winmor in BPQCFG.txt.

                      You will need to define the serial port(com port) in Rigcontrol.cfg

                      Art, N9ZZK

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                        Howard,

                        You probably should remove the PORTCALL line from bpqcfg.txt

                        You also need a rigcontrol.cfg containing:

                        COM8 19200 PTTONLY

                        RADIO XXXX  3

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 8, 2010
                          OK,
                          I got the Winmor TNC working with BPQ32

                          I can open the BPQTerminal program
                          1. type attach 3
                          2. type c callsign
                          and the Winmor TNC will transmit trying to connect.

                          But, now the big picture question - what can we do with it?

                          I have the impression that this extends BPQ & VHF Packet to HF via Winmor.
                          1. This will mean sending out beacon text announcing the BPQ BBS, ARcluster, and RMS
                          2. Accepting connect requests with the appropriate callsign for
                          2a. WinFbb connects
                          2b. RMS Packet connects
                          2c. ARcluster connects

                          Am I right?
                          I am waiting for a beacon via Winmor via my HF radio.

                          Howard

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 8, 2010
                            At the moment Winmor in connected (ARQ) mode is mainly used for BBS<>BBS forwarding, for both Packet BBS system and RMS/WL2K. There is some keyboard to keyboard activity using FEC mode. Although it could be used for interactive access to an application such as AR Cluster, it is not optimised for that.

                            As I understand it, beaconing on HF is not regarded as a very friendly think to do. But WINMOR stations always send an ID after a connection, which will appear in your MHeard list.

                            John G8BPQ

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 9, 2010
                              In the bpqcfg.txt file, what is an easy way to disable Winmor without deleting all the PORT...ENDPORT ?

                              Howard
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 9, 2010
                                Put

                                /*
                                PORT
                                .
                                .
                                .
                                .
                                ENDPORT
                                */

                                round the definition.

                                In the bpqcfg.txt file, what is an easy way to disable Winmor without deleting all the PORT...ENDPORT ?

                                Howard

                              • Jerry - N9LYA
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 9, 2010
                                  Put a ; in front of each line from port and endport and each line between. Then rerun bpqcfg and re-read bpqcfg into the system.. 73 jerry

                                  ; port
                                  ;
                                  ;
                                  ;