BPQ32 and the orignal KAM

  • kc5cnt
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
      Hello folks,

      After a recommendation by a great friend, I decided to upgrade my Msys BBS to BPQ32. I believe that I have it configured correctly but I am not getting TX/RX on either channel of the KAM. I shut down BPQ32 to test the tnc with paket 6.2 and I connected to the local node. Below I have attached my bpqcfg.txt file for your evaluation. Do I need to run BPQTNC2 or VCOMconfig, as I understood those were need when a virtual port was used?

      73 de KC5CNT, Russ

      Oh and I also tried a KPC-3 on port one and it reacted the same way. Both TNCs are 4800,8,N,1

      */ This ends a multi-line comment

      HOSTINTERRUPT=127 ; Interrupt used for BPQ host mode support
      EMS=0 ; Doesn't use EMS RAM
      DESQVIEW=0 ; DesqView unused
      NODECALL=KC5CNT-7 ; Node callsign
      NODEALIAS=ILFELD ; Node alias (6 characters max)
      BBSCALL=KC5CNT ; Replaced by APPL1CALL following APPLICATIONS=
      BBSALIAS=IFRBBS ; Replaced by APPL1ALIAS following APPLICATIONS=
      IDMSG: ; UI broadcast text from NODECALL to fixed dest ID
      ILFELD/KC5CNT San Miguel County
      *** ; Denotes end of IDMSG text
      BTEXT: ; UI broadcast text from BCALL to destination UNPROTO=
      Node: KC5CNT-7
      BBS: KC5CNT
      CHAT Server: KC5CNT-14
      *** ; Denotes end of BTEXT text
      INFOMSG: ; The INFO command text follows:
      Type ? for Help BPQ32_410M_2009DEC25
      Type BBS To Access The KC5CNT Full Service-BBS:
      Type INCHAT TO Access The Kc5CNT-14 CHAT Server:
      *** ; Denotes end of INFOMSG text
      CTEXT: ; The CTEXT text follows:
      Type BBS To Access The KC5CNT Full Service-BBS:
      Type INCHAT TO Access The KC5CNT-14 CHAT Server:
      *** ; Denotes end of CTEXT text
      FULL_CTEXT=0 ; 0=send CTEXT to L2 connects to NODEALIAS only
      ; 1=send CTEXT to all connectees

      ; Network System Parameters:

      OBSINIT=6 ; Initial obsolescence set when a node is included
      ; in a received nodes broadcast. This value is then
      ; decremented by 1 every NODESINTERVAL.
      OBSMIN=4 ; When the obsolescence of a node falls below this
      ; value that node's information is not included in
      ; a subsequent nodes broadcast.
      NODESINTERVAL=15 ; Nodes broadcast interval in minutes
      IDINTERVAL=60 ; 'IDMSG' UI broadcast interval in minutes, 0=OFF
      BTINTERVAL=45 ; The BTEXT broadcast interval in minutes, 0=OFF
      L3TIMETOLIVE=25 ; Max L3 hops
      L4RETRIES=10 ; Level 4 retry count
      L4TIMEOUT=60 ; Level 4 timeout in seconds s/b > FRACK x RETRIES
      L4DELAY=10 ; Level 4 delayed ack timer in seconds
      L4WINDOW=4 ; Level 4 window size
      MAXLINKS=63 ; Max level 2 links
      MAXNODES=128 ; Max nodes in nodes table
      MAXROUTES=64 ; Max adjacent nodes
      MAXCIRCUITS=128 ; Max L4 circuits
      MINQUAL=168 ; Minimum quality to add to nodes table
      BUFFERS=255 ; Packet buffers - 255 means allocate as many as
      ; possible, normally about 130, depending upon other
      ; table sizes.

      ; TNC default parameters:
      PACLEN=250 ; Max packet size (236 max for net/rom)
      TRANSDELAY=1 ; Transparent node send delay in seconds

      ; Level 2 Parameters:

      ; T1 (FRACK), T2 (RESPTIME) and N2 (RETRIES) are now in the PORTS section

      T3=120 ; Link validation timer in seconds
      IDLETIME=720 ; Idle link shutdown timer in seconds

      ; Configuration Options:

      AUTOSAVE=1 ; Saves BPQNODES.dat upon program exit
      BBS=1 ; 1 = BBS support included, 0 = No BBS support
      NODE=1 ; Include switch support
      HIDENODES=1 ; If set to 1, nodes beginning with a #
      ; require a 'N *' command to be displayed.
      ENABLE_LINKED=A ; Controls processing of *** LINKED command
      ; Y = allows unrestricted use
      ; A = allows use by application program
      ; N = disabled
      ; AX25 port definitions:

      PORT ; 145.010 MHz User Port
      PORTNUM=1 ; Optional but sets port number if stated
      ID=BPQ 145.010 ; Displayed by PORTS command
      TYPE=ASYNC ; Port is RS232 Com
      PROTOCOL=KISS ; TNC is used in KISS mode
      FULLDUP=0 ; Only meaningful for KISS devices
      IOADDR=1 ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.
      SPEED=4800 ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED
      CHANNEL=A ; A for single channel TNC, A or B for multichannel
      PERSIST=230 ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)
      SLOTTIME=100 ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds
      TXDELAY=500 ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds
      TXTAIL=0 ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end
      QUALITY=192 ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on
      ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route
      ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts
      MINQUAL=168 ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or
      ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value
      ; of 0 sends everything.
      MAXFRAME=3 ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)
      FRACK=5000 ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds
      RESPTIME=1000 ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds
      RETRIES=5 ; Level 2 maximum retry value
      PACLEN=236 ; Default max packet length for this port
      UNPROTO=Node: ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]
      BCALL=KC5CNT-7 ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to APPL1CALL
      L3ONLY=0 ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port
      DIGIFLAG=1 ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only
      DIGIPORT=0 ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)
      USERS=0 ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit
      ENDPORT

      PORT ; 14.098 Mhz Port
      PORTNUM=2 ; Optional but sets port number if stated
      ID=BPQ 14.098 MHz ; Displayed by PORTS command
      TYPE=ASYNC ; Port is RS232 Com
      PROTOCOL=KISS ; TNC is used in KISS mode
      FULLDUP=0 ; Only meaningful for KISS devices
      IOADDR=1 ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.
      SPEED=4800 ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED
      CHANNEL=b ; A for single channel TNC, A or B for multichannel
      PERSIST=200 ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)
      SLOTTIME=100 ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds
      TXDELAY=760 ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds
      TXTAIL=5 ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end
      QUALITY=0 ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on
      ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route
      ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts
      MINQUAL=168 ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or
      ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value
      ; of 0 sends everything.
      MAXFRAME=1 ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)
      FRACK=8000 ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds
      RESPTIME=1000 ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds
      RETRIES=10 ; Level 2 maximum retry value
      PACLEN=64 ; Default max packet length for this port
      UNPROTO=Nodes: ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]
      BCALL=KC5CNT-7 ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to APPL1CALL
      L3ONLY=0 ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port
      DIGIFLAG=1 ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only
      DIGIPORT=0 ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)
      USERS=1 ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit
      ENDPORT

      ROUTES: ; Locked routes (31 maximum)
      *** ; Denotes end of locked routes
      /*
      Applications:

      Up to 8 applications are supported, which are expressed as positional
      parameters. Each parameter may be empty, i.e. ',,' or if not empty, up to 12 bytes in length. Applications beginning with a * are not shown in the valid commands display in response to an entry of '?'. There are two types of applications, local and remote. Local applications are those running on the same machine and are associated with an applications mask. A local application is entered as a user defined command, such as 'DX', 'BBS' or 'MYDX'. A remote application is in the form 'command/C call(or alias)', for example DX/C N5IN. When a user enters the user defined command 'DX' the node issues a 'C N5IN' attempting a connection to the N5IN dxcluster on a remote system.

      Associated with each positional parameter is an applications mask:
      Position: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
      Decimal Mask: 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128
      Hexadecimal Mask: 0x1,0x2,0x4,0x8,0x10,0x20,0x40,0x80
      Binary Mask: 00000001,00000010,00000100,00001000,
      00010000,00100000,01000000,10000000
      */

      APPLICATIONS=INCHAT,BBS

      ; In this example no applications are supported.

      APPL1CALL=KC5CNT-14
      APPL1ALIAS=INCHAT
      APPL1QUAL=255
      APPL2CALL=KC5CNT
      APPL2ALIAS=BBS
      APPL2QUAL=255

      /*
      APPLnCALL/APPLnALIAS defines 'call's and alias's associated with the
      positional parameters in APPLICATIONS=. N may assume values of [1,8].
      These calls/alias's announce themselves in node broadcasts unless their associated APPLnQUAL=0. APPL1CALL,APPL1ALIAS and APPL1QUAL, i.e. for n=1, replace the earlier defined BBSCALL/BBSALIAS/BBSQUAL if stated. The 'call's may include any of the characters A-Z 0-9, up to 6 characters in length, and optionally an SSID. Thus APPL4CALL=ABCDEF as well as APPL4CALL=AA0AAA-13 are valid. A connection to the APPLnCALL='call' will execute the nth positional parameter in the APPLICATIONS= parameter list. APPLnQUAL defines a multiplier (APPLnQUAL/256) which sets the quality of the associated application relative to the node quality. This setting may be used to limit the spread of the associated application information through the network to your desired service area. APPLnQUAL ranges from 0 through 255. If set to 0, nodes broadcasts for the associated application will be
      suppressed.
      */
    • Edward Tune
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
        Just a thought as you have probably already done this, are you sure the TNC is in KISS mode before you turn it over to the node?

        I could be wrong but I think 6.2 leaves it in HOST mode. Something to check anyway!

        73, Otto, KV7J

      • K.O. Higgs
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
        • 1 Attachment
        • 3 KB
        I am using two KAM's with my BPQ32 system. Attached is a copy of the parameters for one of the KAMs..

        K.O. N0KFQ

        --

        K.O. Higgs
        n0kfq@...

      • kc5cnt
        Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
          Hey Otto,

          The firmware is 2.85 and I enabled the kiss setting then perm. On the KPC-3, it had the latest firmware for the straight 3 and is in kiss mode.

          73 de Russ KC5CNT

          Message 5 of 5 , Mar 4, 2010
            Russ,

            You don't need BPQTNC2 or VCOMConfig.

            I loaded your config here, and it is sending the right packets on the serial port.

            I suggest you double check that the TNC is in KISS mode. If you run Portmon (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx) with Options/Show Hex you can check that you are sending to the TNC, and that any packets received off-air are formatted correctly (Starting and ending HEX  C0).

            Good luck!

            John G8BPQ