Winmor TNC Warning

    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 3, 2010
      Message
      The version of the WINMOR TNC on the WINMOR Yahoo group (4.1.11) is NOT fully compatible with the latest BPQ32 winmor.dll..

      You need at least Version 1.0.0.1. There is scope for comfusion here, but 4.1.11 is actually 0.4.1.11, and is lover than 1.0.0.1

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 4, 2010
        So...

        Where do we download the latest WINMOR TNC?

        Also, in BPQ Terminal after we attach to the port for WINMOR TNC, what are the commands we can type in? How do we connect to another BPQ WINMOR TNC capable station?

        Howard

        > The version of the WINMOR TNC on the WINMOR Yahoo group (4.1.11) is NOT
        > fully compatible with the latest BPQ32 winmor.dll..
        >
        > You need at least Version 1.0.0.1. There is scope for comfusion here, but
        > 4.1.11 is actually 0.4.1.11, and is lover than 1.0.0.1

      • Rick Muething
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 4, 2010

          Howard,/All,

          I have posted the latest WINMOR TNC on:

          And I have sent the latest to John Wiseman.

          The latest version of WINMOR TNC is 1.0.1.0

          Rick KN6KB

          href="http://www.spamfighter.com/len">http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len>

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
            Message
            Events move quickly...

            The email announcing the latest update included a link (http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/Using%20WINMOR.htm)  to a document that has a link to the version of the WINMOR TNC (1.0.0.1).that works with the releaaed  BPQ32 winmor.dll

            Section 3 of that documents details the BPQ32 specifc commands that can be issued after an ATTACH, in addtion to the commands that are documented in the "Spec for WINMOR TNC.doc" included with the WINMOR TNC distribution.

            Rick has recently made some changes to the TNC, and these may cause problems to the released version of winmor.dll. I am currently testing a new version, and will hopefully make it available later today. In the meantime, if you are using the version of winmor.dll in the current BPQ32 installer, please stick to version 1.0.0.1, downlaodable from

            Where do we download the latest WINMOR TNC?

            Also, in BPQ Terminal after we attach to the port for WINMOR TNC, what are the commands we can type in? How do we connect to another BPQ WINMOR TNC capable station?

            Howard

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

            > The version of the WINMOR TNC on the WINMOR Yahoo group (4.1.11) is NOT
            > fully compatible with the latest BPQ32 winmor.dll..
            >
            > You need at least Version 1.0.0.1. There is scope for comfusion here, but
            > 4.1.11 is actually 0.4.1.11, and is lover than 1.0.0.1

          • Howard Z
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
              Thanks Rick,

              Got it.

              Howard

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Rick Muething" <rmuething@...> wrote:

              > Howard,/All,
              >

              > I have posted the latest WINMOR TNC on:

              > And I have sent the latest to John Wiseman.
              >

              > The latest version of WINMOR TNC is 1.0.1.0
              >

              > Rick KN6KB
              >

              > _____

            • Howard Z
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                Ok,

                Let me see...

                I see where to specify the Audio In and Audio Out.
                That's done in Winmor and stored it Winmor's INI file.

                Where does one specify PTT?
                The COM port and RTS/DTR?
                This should be in the host program - i.e. BPQ ???

                Howard
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                  Message
                  From the BPQ32 WINMOR documentation:

                  The driver supports PTT control via a serial port, using the DTR and/or RTS control lines, or ICOM CI-V commands, via the Rig Control Driver.

                  and

                  The WINMOR driver is configured via file BPQtoWINMOR.cfg.

                  The first line defines which BPQ Port this config relates to, the IP address and Port of the WINMOR TNC, an optional PTT paameter, and an optional application for incoming WINMOR connects to be routed to. If PTT is omitted, VOX operation is assumed, and if the application is omitted, calls are connected to the Node command interpreter. You will need this if you want to accept calls from software that doesn't have a connect script, such as RMS Express.

                  Typical first lines are:

                  PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500                No PTT (ie use VOX), Connects to Command Handler
                  PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 BBS            No PTT, route incoming connections to the BBS
                  PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT DTR        PTT control via DTR Line, Connects to Command Handle
                  PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT CI-V BBS   PTT cotrol via CI-V commands, route incoming connections to the BBS

                  Other PTT options are PTT RTS, PTT DTRRTS

                  From the Rig Control Driver Documentation

                  RigControl.cfg

                  #
                  #	Config file for RigContol
                  #
                  #	One copy of RigControl can support more than one Serial interface.
                  #
                  #	The ICOM implemetation allows more than one rig to be attached to the same interface
                  #
                  #	The COM Line defines a Serial Connection, and the type of radio
                  #
                  #	For a Port that just provides PTT control via the serial port RTS or DTR Lines, use TYPE of PTTONLY
                  #

                  COM65 19200 PTTONLY

                  # For PTT control, specify only a Name and a BPQ Port Number.

                  RADIO IC7000 4

                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010

                    Howard,

                    The host can also set the audio capture/playback and read the available sound cards from the TNC.

                    The host program takes care of the PTT …It receives a PTT True/PTT False signal from the WINMOR TNC

                    The host can chose to:

                    Ignore the PTT signals from the TNC and let the audio key the radio or sound card (e.g. SignaLink) via VOX

                    or

                    Key the radio via RS232 control port (Some radios). This would be the same port used for setting frequency, filter etc. Not all radios support serial port PTT keying but this is one of the cleanest ways if your radio does.

                    or

                    Key the radio via a dedicated RS232 port using DTR or RTS.

                    We did not key the radio in the TNC since if you are using a radio control port for PTT keying it would cause a port conflict. Best done in the host.

                    Rick KN6KB

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                      Here is a portion of my bpqcfg.txt file
                      the Winmore is the third port I have defined here:

                      PORT
                      PORTNUM=3
                      ID=WINMOR Port 1
                      TYPE=EXTERNAL
                      PROTOCOL=WINMOR
                      DLLNAME=WINMOR.DLL
                      PORTCALL=CALL ; Optional - set if you want to accept connects to a call other than the Node Call.
                      ;INTERLOCK=n; ; Optional - set if you have two ports sharing the same radio.
                      ; Set the same Interlock value on both ports.
                      QUALITY=0
                      ENDPORT

                      Here is my BPQtoWINMOR file:
                      Note that I must enter PORT 3 or else the BPQ WINMOR TNC window will not appear. But actually the PTT port is COM8 - so I have no place to enter COM8

                      ; Config file for BPQtoWINMOR
                      ;
                      ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500
                      ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 BBS
                      ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT DTR
                      ;PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT CI-V BBS
                      PORT 3 127.0.0.1 8500 PTT RTS
                      CWID True
                      DEBUGLOG True
                      LOG True
                      BW 1600
                      DRIVELEVEL 88
                      MODE AUTO
                      ROBUST False
                      SHOW True
                      BUSYLOCK True

                      Last, but not least, here is the WINMOR TNC.ini file

                      [WINMOR TNC Form]
                      TCP Control Port=8500
                      MyCallsign=N3ZH
                      MyGridsquare=FM19MB
                      StartMinimized=False
                      DebugLog=True
                      CaptureDevice=Line 1 (Virtual Audio Cable)-6a
                      PlaybackDevice=Line 2 (Virtual Audio Cable)-a3
                      ResponseDelay=100
                      LeaderExtension=0
                      Top=295
                      Left=42

                      BTW, BPQ32 BLOWS up every time.
                      I run the BPQ terminal, enter attach 3, then C followed by a callsign - then blows up.

                      Howard
                    • Art Bertheaume
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                        Howard
                        The "port" in BPQtoWinmor refers to the Winmor port you have set for winmor in BPQCFG.txt.

                        You will need to define the serial port(com port) in Rigcontrol.cfg

                        Art, N9ZZK

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 5, 2010
                          Message
                          Howard,

                          You probably should remove the PORTCALL line from bpqcfg.txt

                          You also need a rigcontrol.cfg containing:

                          COM8 19200 PTTONLY

                          RADIO XXXX  3

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 8, 2010
                            OK,
                            I got the Winmor TNC working with BPQ32

                            I can open the BPQTerminal program
                            1. type attach 3
                            2. type c callsign
                            and the Winmor TNC will transmit trying to connect.

                            But, now the big picture question - what can we do with it?

                            I have the impression that this extends BPQ & VHF Packet to HF via Winmor.
                            1. This will mean sending out beacon text announcing the BPQ BBS, ARcluster, and RMS
                            2. Accepting connect requests with the appropriate callsign for
                            2a. WinFbb connects
                            2b. RMS Packet connects
                            2c. ARcluster connects

                            Am I right?
                            I am waiting for a beacon via Winmor via my HF radio.

                            Howard

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 8, 2010
                              Message
                              At the moment Winmor in connected (ARQ) mode is mainly used for BBS<>BBS forwarding, for both Packet BBS system and RMS/WL2K. There is some keyboard to keyboard activity using FEC mode. Although it could be used for interactive access to an application such as AR Cluster, it is not optimised for that.

                              As I understand it, beaconing on HF is not regarded as a very friendly think to do. But WINMOR stations always send an ID after a connection, which will appear in your MHeard list.

                              John G8BPQ

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 9, 2010
                                In the bpqcfg.txt file, what is an easy way to disable Winmor without deleting all the PORT...ENDPORT ?

                                Howard
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 9, 2010
                                  Message
                                  Put

                                  /*
                                  PORT
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  .
                                  ENDPORT
                                  */

                                  round the definition.

                                  In the bpqcfg.txt file, what is an easy way to disable Winmor without deleting all the PORT...ENDPORT ?

                                  Howard

                                • Jerry - N9LYA
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 9, 2010
                                    Put a ; in front of each line from port and endport and each line between. Then rerun bpqcfg and re-read bpqcfg into the system.. 73 jerry

                                    ; port
                                    ;
                                    ;
                                    ;