Packet Nets In So Cal

  • deangelo_f
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 15, 2009
      Can anyone tell me if their are any Packet nets in southern California?
      if not are their any nodes that i can hop on to join a net?

      forgive my ignorance, I'm new to packet.

      Thanks

      KG6YGD
    • WA4ZKO
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2009
        Since no one came back to you, I'll share what I know about the SoCal packet scene. Used to be out there several times a year (mostly San Diego), but not so much any more.

        A lot of the SoCal packet infrastructure has pretty much disappeared over the last couple years. I think this was due to a variety of reasons like lack of use and rising costs to keep stuff on the air that saw little or no use. The last two economic downturns didn't help either.

        SoCal with their somewhat unique EMCOMM needs used to be a pure hotbed of packet radio activity. At one time you could find packet active on EVERY band from 6m to 23cm and some HF. Sad in a way, be nice if they could resurrect some of it.

        About 2 years ago the big K6VE Packet BBS out in Los Angeles faded away. That LA BBS site formed a bit of a hub on many bands and when it went of the air a lot of surrounding infrastructure got cut off and just faded away. After that I think the surrounding packet infrastructure just kind of slowly collapsed.

        What remains? Not much from what I can tell. APRS and WinLink is about it with a few exceptions. In the greater LA area there is some WinLink activity on 145.6500 1200 baud and 431.100 9600 baud.

        In LA, I believe they have a basic node (LAX) on 145.030 1.2kb up at Mt. Washington where the LA BBS used to be just north of downtown. That's a pretty good spot between a couple of the valleys. Unless you have something blocking the path you should be able to hit it. I was out in Woodland Hills back during the summer and it was still on the air.

        Looks like Matt, N6MAT is one of the few remaining packet "movers & shakers" out there. He has a BBS on several ports off to your west in the Thousand Oaks area. I think he has ports on 2m, 220, and maybe HF. The HF ports might be forwarding only though. You might try hooking up with him and/or connecting via the Mt. Washington site on 145.030 1200 baud.

        There used to be some nice nodes around San Diego on 6m (51.1?? ?kb), 145.0100 1200 baud and 439.0500 9.6k, but I think they are gone or in need of repair. Used to be able to telnet into the area via aa6qn.sytes.net but that has been down for about a year now.

        You best bet is probably to hook up with Matt N6MAT for a more accurate picture of what is/isn't on the air currently.

        Maybe someone will get a BPQ32 based system running out there? I (and others) would probably like to have a path into SoCal.

        Hope this helps.

        73
        Jeff
        WA4ZKO
        http://twitter.com/wa4zko

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "deangelo_f" <deangelo.fernandez@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone tell me if their are any Packet nets in southern California?
        > if not are their any nodes that i can hop on to join a net?
        >
        > forgive my ignorance, I'm new to packet.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > KG6YGD

      • Jerry - N9LYA
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2009

          Yes.. Matt N6MAT is Net Manager of one of our SKIPNETS … He is in Newbury Park CA…

          He has links into other networks in that area…

          His email is good at qrz…

          73 Jerry Kutche N9LYA

          ARRL Net Manager Indiana Section – Packet Net

          HF Skipnet Coordinator

          IP Coordinator Indiana

          Packet Coordinator Indiana

          http://www.n9lya.com

          http://www.w9otr.org

          http://www.indianapacketcouncil.org

          http://www.mitchellwx.com

          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hspacket/ High Speed Packet Group

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "deangelo_f" <deangelo.fernandez @...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me if their are any Packet nets in southern California?
          > if not are their any nodes that i can hop on to join a net?
          >
          > forgive my ignorance, I'm new to packet.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > KG6YGD

        • Jerry - N9LYA
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23, 2010

            Has anyone gotten back to u I know of one.. 73 jerry