FWIW - 75m NVIS testing in Connecticut

  • WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 7, 2009
      Since several of us on here are either active on or considering HF packet/pactor ports on our nodes, I figured you guys/gals might be interested in this.

      On Saturday, December 5th several hams up in Connecticut performed a semi-organized (middle of the day) statewide NVIS voice net test on 75 meters. While CT is a small state it has some very diverse terrain. This can make wide area VHF coverage, especially simplex a serious challenge. Sort of like the hills and valleys of Kentucky ;-)

      The results are interesting IMHO and likely of interest to anyone considering HF packet for EMCOMM situations. In short, NVIS works pretty darn good for backing up and extending your VHF coverage.

      Take a look if interested:

      http://www.remarkable.com/NVISnet.html

      73
      Jeff