BPQ32, RMS Packet & WinLink, some thoughts

  • WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 70 , Dec 7, 2009
      Comments inserted below....

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO

      > Each Pactor port only supports one connect at a time.
      >
      > The KAM VHF port supports up to 10 sessions (with the code about to be
      > released).

      Nice, very nice. Will make the KAM's a nice option for those for which Pactor 1 will suffice for their HF link needs versus the bigger $$$$ for the SCS modems. A nice option for folks looking for something a bit more robust than HF packet without breaking the bank so bad. With this and a KAM-XL you can have HF 300bd or Pactor 1 on TNC port 1, then 1200 or 9600 on TNC Port 2, pretty darn nice!

      How well the KAM's do Pactor 1 versus the SCS modem is probably a good question. I've heard mixed reports that the KAM-XL is just as good at P1??? Obviously you're stuck at Pactor 1 speeds, but for many that may be just fine when you get it for about half the cost.

      > I'm not sure what you are saying regards RMS packet. The whole point of
      > adding BPQ32 support to RMS Packet is to give all users (HF or VHF)
      > access to the Winlink system. Either as a keyboard user, or using a B2
      > protocol compatible client to forward mail. Why not mention it?

      That was half tongue in cheek. Basically if you have a HF port on BPQ32 node and RMS Packet running on top of it..you have at least basic HF access to WinLink (via the node). How usable this is with airmail and so forth?

      I THINK the WinLink "leadership" has wanted to keep HF entry point access somewhat constrained/controlled. RMS Packet was focused on VHF/UHF access. For HF they have the RMS HF software and don't openly offer it for download, see here:

      http://www.winlink.org/SysopSoftware

      Specifically note the following on their web page above:

      "RMS HF software distribution is currently limited to existing WL2K HF stations."

      They may not be too fond of what we're doing? Do we really care, grin? The WinLink leadership can be a tad "odd" about things and with a doze of "control factor" from what I've seen. Granted I think they're going to open the gates more as WINMOR matures, so maybe that "attitude" is changing. Maybe I've misread their intentions.

      Obviously depending on the range of your HF port, you might get into the 3rd party content issues and so forth. Foreign stations coming in on your HF port, pulling up RMS and tx/rx messages. Again not necessarily a bad thing, but something a HF node sysop needs to be aware of if RMS Packet is running on the node.

      The other angle of this is if word spreads that your node offers this, you could wind up with a very BUSY HF port due to WinLink folks piling onto it! Maybe I'm overly concerned here or missing something on what the pactor port can/can not do, but I do think it's something to consider if you have RMS Packet running on your BPQ32 node.

      Message 70 of 70 , Dec 9, 2009
        Message
        A user is having problems getting the VHF port of a KAM+ working with the Pactor dirver. I've only tested it with a KAM XL, and was wonderig if anyone has it working with other versions of the KAM.

        Thanks,