RE: [BPQ32] BPQ Newbie....

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
      Jack,

      I should probably highlight this in the MailChat Docs - it has caught quite a few people out.

      "You must save the four main Configuration tabs, (BBS Params, ISP Interface, Chat Params and Housekeeping) even if you have not made any changes to that screen. You should then get a warning about Forwarding. This was intended for existing users upgrading, but will appear on a new install. Close BPQMailChat and restart it. You should then be able to set BBS Streams to the desired value, save, exit and restart."

      There are examples of all the bbs config screens in the documentation.

      The sample BPQ32 config will do for a start - just change the calls and the BTEXT INFO and CTEXT.

      If you just want to use Pactor, the port config needed is in the Pactor documentation.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
          Jack Chomley wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > Thanks for the hints......however I have now tried reinstalling 3
          > times, have cleaned registry and rebooted machine and I still get the
          > same problem on starting MailChat. It will not make the base directory
          > and just exits. I suspect that even after deinstallation, something
          > must be left behind on the PC that causes the problem on reinstall, am
          > using WIN XP Pro SP3. I have searched everywhere for any files I
          > thought may be left behind, but cannot see anything except prefetch
          > files in Windows......can't delete them.
          >
          > 73 Jack.
          >
          > At 07:41 AM 12/2/2009, you wrote:
          >

          >> Jack,
          >>
          >> I should probably highlight this in the MailChat Docs - it has caught
          >> quite a few people out.
          >>
          >> "You must save the four main Configuration tabs, (BBS Params, ISP
          >> Interface, Chat Params and Housekeeping) even if you have not made
          >> any changes to that screen. You should then get a warning about
          >> Forwarding. This was intended for existing users upgrading, but will
          >> appear on a new install. Close BPQMailChat and restart it. You should
          >> then be able to set BBS Streams to the desired value, save, exit and
          >> restart."
          >>
          >> There are examples of all the bbs config screens in the documentation.
          >>
          >> The sample BPQ32 config will do for a start - just change the calls
          >> and the BTEXT INFO and CTEXT.
          >>
          >> If you just want to use Pactor, the port config needed is in the
          >> Pactor documentation.
          >>
          >> 73
          >> John

          Hi Jack,

          If you open up your "Windows Explorer" and navigate your way to the
          BPQMailChat directory, once you are there, you will see the path in your
          top address bar, copy and paste that path into the "Base Directory"
          section of BPQMailChat config.

          You could manually enter the path into "Base directory", C:\Program
          Files\BPQ32\BPQMailChat
          and then click on save.

          Close BPQMailChat and then reopen to continue your config.

          Regards ..... Peter
        • Jack Chomley
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 1, 2009
            Thanks John & Peter,

            Found the problem......in the registry I found a weird entry relating
            to the Base Directory path and name.....every time I went to run the
            program it wanted to create the Base Directory with its name/path.
            Would not work, so I searched the registry for that path and found
            the entry, edited it out with my Registry Editor and restarted the
            program. Got the config screens, entered the Base Directory path and
            then did the other screens, saved all and restarted. Its now working
            8-) I just now need to read up on the config docs examples, to try
            and make it all work.

            73 Jack