Re: DSTAR - was PROTOCOL=KISS PROTOCOL=NONE?

  • Howard Z
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 18 8:33 PM
      I'll try again next week.

      I'll have to see about getting the right cable. 9pin female to female with pins 2 and 3 reversed.

      Howard

      > Howard,
      >
      > Did you try it with a serial cable between the machines, to make sure the
      > setup is correct?
      >
      > The message exchange is likely to be compressed so will look like jibberish.
      >
      > It may be worth monitoring the serial links (I use portmon -
      > <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx>
      > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx). This may
      > show if the link isn't completely transparent, or is dropping data.
      >
      > Regards,

    • Jerry - N9LYA
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 19 1:56 AM

        Null Modem Cable..

        http://www.jameco.com

        href="http://www.spamfighter.com/len">http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len>
        > .
        > The Professional version does not have this message.

      • la7um
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 20 7:06 PM
          Howard. You kind of touch the same question I did ask some days ago on the new Winlink Programs reflector. Good. A "RMS DStar DV"is of value.

          Maybe John can support it in BPQ, and then also in Linux. Or the other way around. This will solve the issue. Like in Airmail. The Winlink programmers are of course heavily occupied with the WINMOR task at the time beeing.

          73 de la7um Finn

          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 21 7:42 AM
            John is of the opinion that if D-Star radios will pass all bytes without any modification nor filtering, then there is no need for BPQ changes.

            If the two D-Star radios are "considered" KISS TNCs by their respective software (BPQ/RMSPacket on one end, and Paclink on the other end), John thinks it should work just fine.

            Similar to having a null-modem-RS232 cable connecting two computers running BPQ.

            Probably I'll try again early next week - first with a simple cable to see that Paclink is setup correctly.

            Howard
          • Bill V WA7NWP
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 22 9:47 AM
              > John is of the opinion that if D-Star radios will pass all bytes without any modification nor filtering, then there is no need for BPQ changes.

              Note that this "serial stream" the D-Star provides has no "packeting"
              or error detection.. I believe the D-Rats scheme was to build the
              D-Star connectivity on top of XMODEM packets...

              Bill - WA7NWP
            • la7um
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 22 8:36 PM
                One problem may be that D-Star has no HW handshake. So the nullmodem cable transpoorting is only a tx, rx and ground, needing Xon , Xoff software handshake.
                I dont remember how flexible this connection in KISS between 2 pcs are, thinking of this handshake.
                Maybe it doesnt matter. The frames must be made not to big, so not ALL the stream has to be resent because of bit-error.
                Hm... How was this done by Airmail?
                73 de la7um Finn

                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 23 9:47 AM
                  Message
                  Hi Folks,

                  I'm working in a PACTOR interface for BPQ32, but I don't have a SCS Controller to to test with. I wonder if anyone has a spare controller they could put on the end of a serial tunnel for me to try?  Or even one that is not used all the time.

                  Thanks,
                  John

                • Richard
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 23 10:15 AM
                    I have a ptc-IIex available...

                    contact me at    ke7xo@...

                    Richard

                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 23 12:45 PM

                      Hi John..

                      I have one I am using part time.. Tell me how to put it on a serial tunnel and I will make it happen…

                      Jerry

                      I'm working in a PACTOR interface for BPQ32, but I don't have a SCS Controller to to test with. I wonder if anyone has a spare controller they could put on the end of a serial tunnel for me to try?  Or even one that is not used all the time.

                      Thanks,

                      John

                    • Jack Chomley
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 23 1:20 PM
                        At 03:47 AM 11/24/2009, you wrote:

                        Hi Folks,

                        I'm working in a PACTOR interface for BPQ32, but I don't have a SCS Controller to to test with. I wonder if anyone has a spare controller they could put on the end of a serial tunnel for me to try?  Or even one that is not used all the time.

                        Thanks,
                        John

                        John,

                        IF you are considering doing the code for one of these.....

                        http://www.scs-ptc.com/shop/products/modems/tracker-dsp-tnc

                        I have one I can loan you, they work very well on HF Packet/APRS etc ;-)

                        73,

                        Jack VK4JRC

                      • Jim WU3V
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 24 11:00 PM
                          John I have a spare unit I can setup for you, they sometimes need to be reset (power cycled) and I can gove you a mechanism to do that remotely.

                          Jim wu3v

                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 24 11:01 PM
                            Message
                            I also h

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 25 12:29 AM
                              Message
                              Thanks, Jim. I've get a unit to test with, but will be soon be looking for alpha testers for the software, Watch this space!