PROTOCOL=KISS PROTOCOL=NONE?

  • Howard Z
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 14, 2009
      Hi,

      Usually I use PROTOCOL=KISS.

      Is it possible to turn off KISS and have only the actual application's bytes come out of the COM port to the TNC?

      Is there a PROTOCOL=NONE?

      What are the PROTOCOL options?

      Howard
    • Howard Z
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 15, 2009
        Hmm.. No comments yet. I'll get more specific as to what I want to use this for.

        I can run a COM port from my computer to my D-Star radio. This radio does not have a "TNC" but it will transmit and receive data. Just send it data and it will transmit it - and another D-Star radio will receive it. There is no KISS protocol.

        Airmail2000 supports D-Star, and some people have been using Airmail for keyboard-chatting, but there is no RMS support for D-Star.

        My RMS uses BPQ. If BPQ can talk to what it thinks is a TNC - but without using KISS protocol with it, then I might be able to run a D-Star Winlink RMS station. Not only this, but also a D-Star BBS too? That's the real beauty of BPQ that a single TNC/Radio can be shared among several applications.

        Another approach is to stop using BPQ and try play around with WINLINK's aps files to define a TNC that has absolutely no commands - just data is sent and received.

        Howard

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Howard Z" <Howard_Z@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Usually I use PROTOCOL=KISS.
        >
        > Is it possible to turn off KISS and have only the actual application's bytes come out of the COM port to the TNC?
        >
        > Is there a PROTOCOL=NONE?
        >
        > What are the PROTOCOL options?
        >
        > Howard

      • Sergej
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 15, 2009
          Hello, Howard.

          > Hmm.. No comments yet. I'll get more specific as to what I want to use this for.

          > I can run a COM port from my computer to my D-Star radio. This
          > radio does not have a "TNC" but it
          > will transmit and receive data. Just send it data and it will
          > transmit it - and another D-Star radio
          > will receive it. There is no KISS protocol.

          Here not own any D-STAR radios yet, but if its COM port is work
          as dumb/transparent modem, its should carry KISS frames too.

          I am know ISM band 433MHz short distance COM-port radiomodems -
          its a dumb-type modems, i.e. any data/protocol over serial
          port can be transfered.

          Have you tryed?

          73, Sergej
          uz2hz
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 15, 2009
            Howard,

            Sorry for the delay in replying - I'm away from home and relying on Internet Cafe's etc.

            As Sergej said - if the radio provides a transparent byte stream then kiss will run over it  - after all you can link 2 bpq32 nodes with a simple serial to serial link between kiss ports .

            73,
            john

            Hmm.. No comments yet. I'll get more specific as to what I want to use this for.

            I can run a COM port from my computer to my D-Star radio. This radio does not have a "TNC" but it will transmit and receive data. Just send it data and it will transmit it - and another D-Star radio will receive it. There is no KISS protocol.

            Airmail2000 supports D-Star, and some people have been using Airmail for keyboard-chatting, but there is no RMS support for D-Star.

            My RMS uses BPQ. If BPQ can talk to what it thinks is a TNC - but without using KISS protocol with it, then I might be able to run a D-Star Winlink RMS station. Not only this, but also a D-Star BBS too? That's the real beauty of BPQ that a single TNC/Radio can be shared among several applications.

            Another approach is to stop using BPQ and try play around with WINLINK's aps files to define a TNC that has absolutely no commands - just data is sent and received.

            Howard

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "Howard Z" <Howard_Z@.. .> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Usually I use PROTOCOL=KISS.
            >
            > Is it possible to turn off KISS and have only the actual application' s bytes come out of the COM port to the TNC?
            >
            > Is there a PROTOCOL=NONE?
            >
            > What are the PROTOCOL options?
            >
            > Howard

          • Howard Z
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 16, 2009
              Well, I gave it a try this evening.

              Laptop with BPQ to IC2200H in d-star data mode - running RMS Packet.

              Desktop with Paclink using "Generic Kiss" TNC with its aps file mostly commented out to IC-91AD in d-star data mode.

              It looks like the RMS is receiving information properly - knows it is connected and displays the correct callsign of the Paclink user.

              However, it seems like Paclink is not receiving any meaningful data. If I quickly abort the Paclink link, and Click on Help and Simple terminal, I can see jibberish being received from the IC-91AD radio.

              The IC91AD radio uses 38400 baud, and the IC2200H radio uses 9600 baud. The radios automatically XMT when data is received from the computers.

              Well, this experiment is not all that important. It's not like there are dozens of d-star radio owners here who want to hook them up to Paclink and connect to my RMS. However I am scratching my head about why it is not functioning as planned.

              Howard

              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 17, 2009
                Howard,

                Did you try it with a serial cable between the machines, to make sure the setup is correct?

                The message exchange is likely to be compressed so will look like jibberish.

                It may be worth monitoring the serial links (I use portmon - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx). This may show if the link isn't completely transparent, or is dropping data.

                Regards,

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

                > Howard,
                >
                > Sorry for the delay in replying - I'm away from home and relying on
                > Internet Cafe's etc.
                >
                > As Sergej said - if the radio provides a transparent byte stream then
                > kiss will run over it - after all you can link 2 bpq32 nodes with a
                > simple serial to serial link between kiss ports .
                >

                > 73,
                > john

              • Howard Z
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 18, 2009
                  I'll try again next week.

                  I'll have to see about getting the right cable. 9pin female to female with pins 2 and 3 reversed.

                  Howard

                  > Howard,
                  >
                  > Did you try it with a serial cable between the machines, to make sure the
                  > setup is correct?
                  >
                  > The message exchange is likely to be compressed so will look like jibberish.
                  >
                  > It may be worth monitoring the serial links (I use portmon -
                  > <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx>
                  > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896644.aspx). This may
                  > show if the link isn't completely transparent, or is dropping data.
                  >
                  > Regards,

                • Jerry - N9LYA
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 19, 2009

                    Null Modem Cable..

                    http://www.jameco.com

                    href="http://www.spamfighter.com/len">http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len>
                    > .
                    > The Professional version does not have this message.

                  • la7um
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 20, 2009
                      Howard. You kind of touch the same question I did ask some days ago on the new Winlink Programs reflector. Good. A "RMS DStar DV"is of value.

                      Maybe John can support it in BPQ, and then also in Linux. Or the other way around. This will solve the issue. Like in Airmail. The Winlink programmers are of course heavily occupied with the WINMOR task at the time beeing.

                      73 de la7um Finn

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 21, 2009
                        John is of the opinion that if D-Star radios will pass all bytes without any modification nor filtering, then there is no need for BPQ changes.

                        If the two D-Star radios are "considered" KISS TNCs by their respective software (BPQ/RMSPacket on one end, and Paclink on the other end), John thinks it should work just fine.

                        Similar to having a null-modem-RS232 cable connecting two computers running BPQ.

                        Probably I'll try again early next week - first with a simple cable to see that Paclink is setup correctly.

                        Howard
                      • Bill V WA7NWP
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 22, 2009
                          > John is of the opinion that if D-Star radios will pass all bytes without any modification nor filtering, then there is no need for BPQ changes.

                          Note that this "serial stream" the D-Star provides has no "packeting"
                          or error detection.. I believe the D-Rats scheme was to build the
                          D-Star connectivity on top of XMODEM packets...

                          Bill - WA7NWP
                        • la7um
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 22, 2009
                            One problem may be that D-Star has no HW handshake. So the nullmodem cable transpoorting is only a tx, rx and ground, needing Xon , Xoff software handshake.
                            I dont remember how flexible this connection in KISS between 2 pcs are, thinking of this handshake.
                            Maybe it doesnt matter. The frames must be made not to big, so not ALL the stream has to be resent because of bit-error.
                            Hm... How was this done by Airmail?
                            73 de la7um Finn

                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 23, 2009
                              Hi Folks,

                              I'm working in a PACTOR interface for BPQ32, but I don't have a SCS Controller to to test with. I wonder if anyone has a spare controller they could put on the end of a serial tunnel for me to try?  Or even one that is not used all the time.

                              Thanks,
                              John

                            • Richard
                              Message 14 of 19 , Nov 23, 2009
                                I have a ptc-IIex available...

                                contact me at    ke7xo@...

                                Richard

                                Message 15 of 19 , Nov 23, 2009

                                  Hi John..

                                  I have one I am using part time.. Tell me how to put it on a serial tunnel and I will make it happen…

                                  Jerry

                                  I'm working in a PACTOR interface for BPQ32, but I don't have a SCS Controller to to test with. I wonder if anyone has a spare controller they could put on the end of a serial tunnel for me to try?  Or even one that is not used all the time.

                                  Thanks,

                                  John

                                • Jack Chomley
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 23, 2009
                                    At 03:47 AM 11/24/2009, you wrote:

                                    Hi Folks,

                                    I'm working in a PACTOR interface for BPQ32, but I don't have a SCS Controller to to test with. I wonder if anyone has a spare controller they could put on the end of a serial tunnel for me to try?  Or even one that is not used all the time.

                                    Thanks,
                                    John

                                    John,

                                    IF you are considering doing the code for one of these.....

                                    http://www.scs-ptc.com/shop/products/modems/tracker-dsp-tnc

                                    I have one I can loan you, they work very well on HF Packet/APRS etc ;-)

                                    73,

                                    Jack VK4JRC

                                  • Jim WU3V
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 24, 2009
                                      John I have a spare unit I can setup for you, they sometimes need to be reset (power cycled) and I can gove you a mechanism to do that remotely.

                                      Jim wu3v

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 24, 2009
                                        I also h

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 25, 2009
                                          Thanks, Jim. I've get a unit to test with, but will be soon be looking for alpha testers for the software, Watch this space!