RE: [BPQ32] Digipeating Example

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 13, 2009
      Message
      BPQ32 Digipeating does not have the concept of different aliases for different port combinations.

      If you set up cross port digiing - eg Port 1 has DIGIPORT=2 and Port 2 has DIGIPORT=1, then all digi packets addresses to any of the calls received on one port will be relayed on the other port. As Sergej says, normally connecting to and from the node will be more efficient.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 13, 2009
        A couple general comments...

        > BPQ32 Digipeating does not have the concept of different aliases for different port combinations.

        That is no doubt a situation where a focused digipeating tool like
        Digi_ned shines. We've had a couple interesting APRS/Other digi's set
        up where packets could go in on one port with one alias and come out
        on the other port showing a different aliase.

        For example, Port 1, on 2 meters, would recognize the aliase: UHF.
        If it heard it, it would send it out the Port 2 on 440 MHz. The
        packet coming out of Port Two would not show "UHF" but rather the
        tagged as used alias "VHF*". Likewise if a packet on 440 was sent
        with the path UHF, it would be digipeated out the 2 meter port showing
        the tagged alias "UHF*". This allowed fairly transparent digipeating
        between two channels.

        Eventually we'd like to get back to that and since the main APRS
        channel will likely be involved we'll probably be using digi_ned..

        > If you set up cross port digiing - eg Port 1 has DIGIPORT=2 and Port 2 has DIGIPORT=1, then all digi packets addresses to any of the calls received on one port will be relayed on the other port.

        Thanks - that' a good example we can try tonight.

        > As Sergej says, normally connecting to and from the node will be more efficient.

        That would be open to discussion... I've found the one-hop
        connections VIA a digi to be faster and less packets then using a
        node. Once the number of hops gets to 2 or more, then the node
        technology kicks in and makes the circuit more reliable.

        73
        Bill - WA7NWP

      • Charles Brabham
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 13, 2009
          The problem with digipeating is that it lacks the intelligence of a node connect. That is, digipeated frames are much more likely to collide with other activity on the frequency.

          It has nothing to do with the number of hops you utilize except of course that multiple digipeated hops multiplies your chances of colliding with somebody else's packets. - But that increased probability of collisions is still there with a single hop.

          That's why we stopped using digipeating and advanced to the more intelligent node system in the early days of Packet.

          Do not confuse dipipeating as it is known and implemented in the USA, by the way, with 'digis' in Europe which by our standards are actually more like nodes.

          73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

          Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at HamRadioNet.Org !