Alternative e-mail gateway?

  • Sergej
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 7, 2009
      Hello group!

      Dear John, what you think about alternative e-mail gateway,
      please read follow how it can work:

      * can use any e-mail account;
      * not need personal e-mail domain/server;
      * no gmail additional program need.

      When user send SP SMTP, message will be converted to
      smtp format and send to e-mail recipient;

      When gating to BBS, an e-mail sender should send e-mail to
      some address assigned to this gateway, put subject line as
      always and put in first line of his e-mail body full BBS H-address
      of person he wants to sent P-mail.
      Gateway check mails from POP3 box, look for first string
      of e-mail body and if there exist PKT H-address (by having "@" sign
      and ending with .EU , .AS , .SA , .NA , .OC , .MDLE suffixes), if
      this signs not presend in first line of e-mail body, just ignore that
      e-mails or put to some "hold place" where sysop can review.

      If PKT H-address is present in first e-mail line, gateway should
      convert message to packet BBS recipient with address signed in
      first string of e-mail body.

      This style gateway was success operated at some South Africa
      BBS years ago. Think it was run with LinFBB with some custom
      additions.

      73, Sergej
      uz2hz / ut1hzm
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 8, 2009
        Hi Sergej,

        Thanks for the suggestion. I think that would work ok, but as the current system seems to work and be reasonablly easy to set up, then I'm inclined to leave it as it is, at least for now. Maybe whan the main development is complete I can look at adding options like this.