Re: [BPQ32] Is John our single point of failure though?

  • Bill V WA7NWP
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
      > John provides me with the source code for safekeeping, with the
      > understanding that it will kept secure, for the very reason you have noted!
      >
      > I hope I never need it!

      Amen!

      This is exactly the contingency plan we need. I wonder if any
      similar plans are in place for HRD, javaAprs and agwpe...

      Bill
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
        Yes I started worrying about this a year or so ago when John advised me of his sailing and where he did it!  Being a land lubber and basically scared of big ocean waves I made this arrangement.  I appreciate that John is so rational!

        The point you make however, your reference to other widely used ham software, is well taken!  I am a satisfied user of DXBASE2007, with about 30,000 Q's in my log.  It came as a shock when the author announced just recently that he was closing his web site, stopping development and looking for a buyer for the project.  We have our fingers crossed that he will find someone!  We must realize that ham software won't keep food on the table, yet so many of us rely upon certain programs.

        Ron Stordahl, N5IN

        > John provides me with the source code for safekeeping, with the
        > understanding that it will kept secure, for the very reason you have noted!
        >
        > I hope I never need it!

        Amen!

        This is exactly the contingency plan we need. I wonder if any
        similar plans are in place for HRD, javaAprs and agwpe...

        Bill

      • Jerry - N9LYA
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009

          Hi Jeff.. I was not implying anything about open sourcing it either.. Just used them as examples of a couple programs I saw go away or could go away with no further development and one that could also go by the way side because they the WINLINK DEVELOPMENT Team keep it very very tight between the 4…

          Best 73 jerry n9lya

          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009

            Ron/John we all appreciate everything you guys  and the group does here for BPQ32 and the Ham Radio World.… Got to be the best software I have ever seen for these applications in Ham Radio and to see it still being developed is grand…..

            73 Jerry N9LYA

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
              > one that could also go by the way side
              > because they the WINLINK DEVELOPMENT Team keep it very very tight between
              > the 4…
              >
              > Best 73 jerry n9lya

              Didn't they promise to put the wl2k code in escrow as part of the
              agreement to use it as the standard for ARES?

              Bill
            • Jerry - N9LYA
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
                Hi Bill.. They very well may have... My information is from back in 2004 or
                so... When it was clearly stated that they felt such a thing could not
                possibly happen to all 4 at the same time... And there was no need to
                worry..
                Yes that very well could have changed since then..

                73 Jerry N9LYA

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
                  Let me be clear no ill will meant towards the WL2K dev team.. It is again
                  their decision to deal with such as they see fit and I was only going on
                  what I was told directly several years ago.. When questioning what would we
                  do in the event the Proprietary software was to no longer have developers..
                  for any reason..
                  73 jerry n9lya

                  > because they the WINLINK DEVELOPMENT Team keep it very very tight between
                  > the 4.
                  >
                  > Best 73 jerry n9lya

                  Didn't they promise to put the wl2k code in escrow as part of the
                  agreement to use it as the standard for ARES?

                  Bill

                • David Wagner WA2DXQ
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
                    The WL2K team made a deal with the ARRL to hold  the source code in case the team decides to stop..   There has been no
                    announcement that it changed.

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009

                      Hi David.. That is wonderful.. I also know in the beginning there was no input requested by the WL2K team and none accepted, No Alpha testing no beta testing outside of the team.  … Glad to see that the original stance ie 2004 was changed..

                      I see they beta tested some recent releases over the last year or so.…  That is good to see…

                      73 jerry

                      The WL2K team made a deal with the ARRL to hold  the source code in case the team decides to stop..   There has been no

                      announcement that it changed.

                      Dave

                      > because they the WINLINK DEVELOPMENT Team keep it very very tight between
                      > the 4.
                      >
                      > Best 73 jerry n9lya

                      Didn't they promise to put the wl2k code in escrow as part of the
                      agreement to use it as the standard for ARES?

                      Bill

                    • JJ

[...]

                        And there is Maiko, ve4klm, who is doing stellar work with jnos, both windows and linux (64-bit version not prime-time yet), and has done some work towards a gui for jnos too...//j
                        Cheers,

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 7, 2009
                          Hello Guy's

                          Ron N5IN has the source code for the BPQ32 Switch
                          and BPQ-MAILCHAT Server The BPQ-BBS will be fully compatible
                          with WL2K Programs Like RMS, I have already tested It with
                          RMS, works Fine.

                          Mike Melnik N9PMO
                          Web Site: www.n9pmo.com