RE: [BPQ32] New BBS and Chat/Converse Software

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
      Charles,

      I'd love to see an all-ham netwrok, as in fact we had in the early 90's. However, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to produce a system which made it impossiblre to "cheat" Even if I disabled the obvious Internet facilities like AXIP/UDP and telnet, it would be possible to set up a serial port tunnel which looked to the software  like a KISS TNC, but actually went over the Internet. In the end I think it will have to come down to honesty and trust.

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
        John Wiseman wrote:
        Message
        Peter and the group,

        As the BBS is designed to work as a BPQ32 application, it will have access to the full node facilites, including ax/udp, that BPQ32 provides. Issues such as the Baycom drivers would be part of the base BPQ32 development, rather than the BBS software. I did in fact start looking at a Baycom Serial Modem driver last winter, and it should be possible to write one for the W2K/XP platform, but only for machines with real (ie not USB) serial ports, and these are getting more difficult to find. I do have a Baycom Parallel port 9600 modem, but I'm not sure if I have an interface spec for it.

        FIle Export/Import will be included in some form, but I haven't decided exactly what yet. Likewise I haven't decided yet what SMTP/Telnet facilites to include. I'd love to see an all amateur network with no need for linking over the Internet, but accept that is not possible at the moment. If we have to use the Internet, I don't feel telnet is the right choice, but as my software will have to interface to other systems it may be unavoidable.

        My original intention was not to include 7+ and related stuff such as REQFIL/REQIR, as I suppose I see the system as primarily for messaging rather than file transfer, but this has been mentioned by a few of you, so I hay reconsider.

        I'm not sure what you mean by with or without password structure.

        Hi John and the Group,

                                              What I was meaning by the password structure is that a sysop can configure the system
        to require a password to gain access or leave it open for anyone to login without a password.

        I run 4 radio ports here on my Linux BBS and it does not require any password for access, however, telnet is a different story, one needs a password to be able to do anything at all.

        I think the servers, 7+, Reqfil and Reqdir etc could be valuable tools for those who may want to setup the BBS
        for emergency work with default "paper forms" or files so to speak being able to be requested remotely without the need to actually talk to people to request forms etc.

        One of the biggest problems is of course that everyone has different ideas and uses for their BBS`s, Hi.

        Regards ..... Peter