Re: [BPQ32] New BBS and Chat/Converse Software

  • Peter Mallett
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
      Hi John and the group,

      Excellent news to hear, I will be following progress very closely.

      I would also like to see native dumb Modem ( Baycom ) drivers for serial
      ports and possibly parallel ports.

      A method to export a mail.in file ready to email or perhaps an smtp
      client to automate the process when it is necessary to email a BBS
      forward if the partners BBS is down for an extended length of time.

      A built in 7+ server

      A full Node with AXUDP facilities like Xrouter does as I haven`t seen
      any progress on that front for some years now and it`s looking more like
      we are not going to see any more updates.

      Can be run either _with_ or without _password_ structure.

      I am sure there are a whole lot more things but thats me for now.

      Looking forward to seeing it develop, if you would like a tester in NZ,
      don`t hesitate to yell.

      Regards ..... Peter
    • Charles Brabham
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
        Is it possible to have a special version, identifiable on the air by version number perhaps, that has no provision for non-ham forwarding or access?

        I am part of a group that is trying to put together an all-ham digital network, completely independent of non-ham resources. The rationale is:

        "Amateurs radio operators are the only group of private individuals in the world who have the ways and means to fund, build and maintain a worldwide communications network, independent of the internet and commercial or government entities. This is our own mount Everest, that only we may climb 'because it is there' only for ham radio operators like ourselves."

        A special, all-ham version of the software would be useful for ensuring compliance by HRN participants, eliminating controversy and doubt. - We would simply require the use of the special software. As it is, we experience problems with hams who pretend to be using radio when in fact they do not. - We'd like to see what can be done with radio, and a special radio-only version of the software would be good for this.

        I am not suggesting that this be the only version released, this is a request for a special-purpose version of the software for use by members of a new, all-ham network.

        Take it easy!

        73 DE Charles, N5PVL

      • Lynn
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
          I for one think that would be wonderful. I can't imagine the work that
          is required.
          It seems to me that with a renewed interest in packet and its use in
          emergency communications,
          a new packet packet that works with a proven platform is greatly needed.

          I wish there was some way I (or we) could help, John.

          Lynn - KB3FN
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
            Peter and the group,

            As the BBS is designed to work as a BPQ32 application, it will have access to the full node facilites, including ax/udp, that BPQ32 provides. Issues such as the Baycom drivers would be part of the base BPQ32 development, rather than the BBS software. I did in fact start looking at a Baycom Serial Modem driver last winter, and it should be possible to write one for the W2K/XP platform, but only for machines with real (ie not USB) serial ports, and these are getting more difficult to find. I do have a Baycom Parallel port 9600 modem, but I'm not sure if I have an interface spec for it.

            FIle Export/Import will be included in some form, but I haven't decided exactly what yet. Likewise I haven't decided yet what SMTP/Telnet facilites to include. I'd love to see an all amateur network with no need for linking over the Internet, but accept that is not possible at the moment. If we have to use the Internet, I don't feel telnet is the right choice, but as my software will have to interface to other systems it may be unavoidable.

            My original intention was not to include 7+ and related stuff such as REQFIL/REQIR, as I suppose I see the system as primarily for messaging rather than file transfer, but this has been mentioned by a few of you, so I hay reconsider.

            I'm not sure what you mean by with or without password structure.

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
              Charles,

              I'd love to see an all-ham netwrok, as in fact we had in the early 90's. However, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to produce a system which made it impossiblre to "cheat" Even if I disabled the obvious Internet facilities like AXIP/UDP and telnet, it would be possible to set up a serial port tunnel which looked to the software  like a KISS TNC, but actually went over the Internet. In the end I think it will have to come down to honesty and trust.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
                John Wiseman wrote:
                Message
[...]

                                                      What I was meaning by the password structure is that a sysop can configure the system
                to require a password to gain access or leave it open for anyone to login without a password.

                I run 4 radio ports here on my Linux BBS and it does not require any password for access, however, telnet is a different story, one needs a password to be able to do anything at all.

                I think the servers, 7+, Reqfil and Reqdir etc could be valuable tools for those who may want to setup the BBS
                for emergency work with default "paper forms" or files so to speak being able to be requested remotely without the need to actually talk to people to request forms etc.

                One of the biggest problems is of course that everyone has different ideas and uses for their BBS`s, Hi.

                Regards ..... Peter