Re: [BPQ32] MFJ-1270C

  • Edward Tune
    Message 1 of 27 , May 29, 2009
      OK, sounds good. Hope you find the help you need....
      I'm out...

      On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 9:21 AM, James Wagner <ka7ehk@...> wrote:

      A KISS chip does not solve issues like receive and transmit audio levels.

      Jim Wagner
      KA7EHK

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009

        I've decided to write a BBS and Chat (Converse) program specifically designed to interface to BPQ32. Although there are a number of perfectly adequate BBS programs about, none interface to BPQ32 particularly cleanly, and very few are still supported.

        My current outline spec follows, but I'd welcome any suggestions on features you would like to see. The BBS and Chat features will probably be in the same program, but either may be disabled if not required.

        BBS.

        Basic Mailbox Functions (handling personal mail and bulletins).

        All configuration via dialogs (no files to edit);

        MBL/RLI standard forwarding and FBB-compatible compressed forwarding over ax.25 and netrom.

        POP3 and SMTP servers, allowing a standard Internet mail client (e.g. Outlook) to send messages to, and receive messages from the BBS. This will initially only accept connections from the local host, but could be extended (e.g. to accepting connects from the local LAN) if I can be convinced that it would not be a major security/SPAM risk.

        Ability to send locally input messages to an Internet email account, and receive responses back from the recipient.

        Chat Server.

        Networked chat/converse node,  similar to FastChat, but with named topics

        Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.

        73, John G8BPQ

      • K.O. Higgs
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
          GREAT NEWS!!!! When do we start??

          K.O. N0KFQ

          --

          K.O. Higgs
          n0kfq@...
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
            Re: [BPQ32] New BBS and Chat/Converse Software

            Thank. You!
            I've been looking for a bbs software to replace the old dos fbb my ares group has been using as the machine is almost dead.
            Sounds great let me know when your ready to beta test!

            Brian Cochran, WC4J
            703-965-6011
            Wc4j@...
            www.wc4j.com
            DX Telnet Cluster dxc.wc4j.net
            OO OOC OES AEC VE
            BPOE 2512
            SAL Post 139
            ICS Certified
            100 200 300 400 700 800 1 7 22 154 208 230 235 241 242 244 275 317

             Set via my BlackBerry 8703 Wireless Leash

[...]

             <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=15699127/grpspId=1705063108/msgId=1976/stime=1243624092/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

          • D Calder
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009

              Awesome. What do you need from us for help. I’ll chip in what’s needed.

              n4zkf

              n4zkf@...

              www.n4zkf.com

[...]

            • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                You're my hero! Guess we'll have to buy you a case of your favorite beer ;-)

                I'd be gun shy of the POP/SMTP exposure.

                Heck, just a good modern (aka actively developed) version of FBB compatible BBS software without the bugs, built to run on Win32, TCP/IP savvy, and native support for BPQ32 would be a wonderful start IMHO.

                I'm sure the BBS guru's can probably help with a list of long standing issues and "love to haves" for you.

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO

                > I've decided to write a BBS and Chat (Converse) program specifically
                > designed to interface to BPQ32. Although there are a number of perfectly
                > adequate BBS programs about, none interface to BPQ32 particularly
                > cleanly, and very few are still supported.
                >
                > My current outline spec follows, but I'd welcome any suggestions on
                > features you would like to see. The BBS and Chat features will probably
                > be in the same program, but either may be disabled if not required.
                >
                > BBS.
                >
                > Basic Mailbox Functions (handling personal mail and bulletins).
                >
                > All configuration via dialogs (no files to edit);
                >
                > MBL/RLI standard forwarding and FBB-compatible compressed forwarding
                > over ax.25 and netrom.
                >
                > POP3 and SMTP servers, allowing a standard Internet mail client (e.g.
                > Outlook) to send messages to, and receive messages from the BBS. This
                > will initially only accept connections from the local host, but could be
                > extended (e.g. to accepting connects from the local LAN) if I can be
                > convinced that it would not be a major security/SPAM risk.
                >
                > Ability to send locally input messages to an Internet email account, and
                > receive responses back from the recipient.
                >

                > Chat Server.
                >
                > Networked chat/converse node, similar to FastChat, but with named
                > topics
                >

                > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
                >
                > 73, John G8BPQ
                >

                > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=15699127/grpspId=1705063108/
                > msgId=1976/stime=1243624092/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

              • KG5KS - Kenny Thompson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                  Great news John!!  We Appreciate you doing this.  I use FBB PBBS, BPQ32, RMS- Packet on Win 2000 pro machine.  Be nice to get an integrated package.

                  Thank you
                  73
                  Kenny
                  ARS KG5KS

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                    Wondering if Outpost or Winpack programs also could be used with BPQ32?

                    Appreciate all of your hard work John.

                    Thank you
                    73
                    Kenny
                    ARS KG5KS

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                      John:

                      Could the Converse server integrate with both the NOS Converse server 'AND' the xrouter converse scheme ?

                      It looked as if Paula had intended that... I think..

                      I seem to remember that using Xrouter chat, if you entered a room number with a negative number, like room # -98 you were to be linking with the NOS converse room 98.

                      I also seem to remember that someone else that an Xrouter system was linked to had to actaully do the linking of the servers. Xrouter alone could not link the two chat systems.

                      It would be nice if there was a way to integrate the two.

                      Just wishful thinking

                      Bill
                      KG6BAJ - Grass Valley

                      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                        Hi John.

                        Great news ! :)

                        Is Unproto beacon also supported for use with TsTHwin and Winpack ?

                        73's Danny PD0SNK
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                          Bill,

                          At the moment the protocol is compatible with Hank W0RLI's Roundtable server, but not the NOS converse system. This may change, or maybe a gateway could be produced to link the systems. I'll bear this in mind.

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                            I'll add that to the feature list.

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                              Winpack can be used with the bpq switch, and forwarding betwen the new BBS and Winpack shouldn't be a problem.

                              As I understand it, Outpost is a "front end" for existing Packet BBS programs, giving an email client like interface. This won't be necessary, as you will be able to use a normal email client directly to the bbs, but it would probably work, or be easily made to work.

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                                Excellent news John!
                                My short wish list:
                                - White Pages server.
                                - Remote request directory and file server.
                                - Interface to the SCS PCT line of tnc's (more of a node feature).
                                - Rig control for HF scanning and forwarding.
                                - Logging of all system transactions (for separate metrics analysis).
                                - Echo server.

                                How exciting....

                                73, Duane N7QDN

                                > I've decided to write a BBS and Chat (Converse) program specifically
                                > designed to interface to BPQ32. Although there are a number of perfectly
                                > adequate BBS programs about, none interface to BPQ32 particularly
                                > cleanly, and very few are still supported.
                                >
                                > My current outline spec follows, but I'd welcome any suggestions on
                                > features you would like to see. The BBS and Chat features will probably
                                > be in the same program, but either may be disabled if not required.
                                >
                                > BBS.
                                >
                                > Basic Mailbox Functions (handling personal mail and bulletins).
                                >
                                > All configuration via dialogs (no files to edit);
                                >
                                > MBL/RLI standard forwarding and FBB-compatible compressed forwarding
                                > over ax.25 and netrom.
                                >
                                > POP3 and SMTP servers, allowing a standard Internet mail client (e.g.
                                > Outlook) to send messages to, and receive messages from the BBS. This
                                > will initially only accept connections from the local host, but could be
                                > extended (e.g. to accepting connects from the local LAN) if I can be
                                > convinced that it would not be a major security/SPAM risk.
                                >
                                > Ability to send locally input messages to an Internet email account, and
                                > receive responses back from the recipient.
                                >

                                > Chat Server.
                                >
                                > Networked chat/converse node, similar to FastChat, but with named
                                > topics
                                >

                                > Any comments/suggestions would be appreciated.
                                >
                                > 73, John G8BPQ
                                >

                                > <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=15699127/grpspId=1705063108/
                                > msgId=1976/stime=1243624092/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                              • gervais
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                                  Re: [BPQ32] New BBS and Chat/Converse Software
                                  hi John
                                  it will also depends on How do we install it,the bbs?
                                  can BPQ32 be part of the BBS package?

                                  it will be interesting to see it.
                                  Great news

                                  73/s
                                  gervais,ve2ckn
                                  BBS VE2RXY

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                                    Hi John and the group,

                                    Excellent news to hear, I will be following progress very closely.

                                    I would also like to see native dumb Modem ( Baycom ) drivers for serial
                                    ports and possibly parallel ports.

                                    A method to export a mail.in file ready to email or perhaps an smtp
                                    client to automate the process when it is necessary to email a BBS
                                    forward if the partners BBS is down for an extended length of time.

                                    A built in 7+ server

                                    A full Node with AXUDP facilities like Xrouter does as I haven`t seen
                                    any progress on that front for some years now and it`s looking more like
                                    we are not going to see any more updates.

                                    Can be run either _with_ or without _password_ structure.

                                    I am sure there are a whole lot more things but thats me for now.

                                    Looking forward to seeing it develop, if you would like a tester in NZ,
                                    don`t hesitate to yell.

                                    Regards ..... Peter
                                  • Charles Brabham
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                                      Is it possible to have a special version, identifiable on the air by version number perhaps, that has no provision for non-ham forwarding or access?

                                      I am part of a group that is trying to put together an all-ham digital network, completely independent of non-ham resources. The rationale is:

                                      "Amateurs radio operators are the only group of private individuals in the world who have the ways and means to fund, build and maintain a worldwide communications network, independent of the internet and commercial or government entities. This is our own mount Everest, that only we may climb 'because it is there' only for ham radio operators like ourselves."

                                      A special, all-ham version of the software would be useful for ensuring compliance by HRN participants, eliminating controversy and doubt. - We would simply require the use of the special software. As it is, we experience problems with hams who pretend to be using radio when in fact they do not. - We'd like to see what can be done with radio, and a special radio-only version of the software would be good for this.

                                      I am not suggesting that this be the only version released, this is a request for a special-purpose version of the software for use by members of a new, all-ham network.

                                      Take it easy!

                                      73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                                    • Lynn
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 23, 2009
                                        I for one think that would be wonderful. I can't imagine the work that
                                        is required.
                                        It seems to me that with a renewed interest in packet and its use in
                                        emergency communications,
                                        a new packet packet that works with a proven platform is greatly needed.

                                        I wish there was some way I (or we) could help, John.

                                        Lynn - KB3FN
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
                                          Peter and the group,

                                          As the BBS is designed to work as a BPQ32 application, it will have access to the full node facilites, including ax/udp, that BPQ32 provides. Issues such as the Baycom drivers would be part of the base BPQ32 development, rather than the BBS software. I did in fact start looking at a Baycom Serial Modem driver last winter, and it should be possible to write one for the W2K/XP platform, but only for machines with real (ie not USB) serial ports, and these are getting more difficult to find. I do have a Baycom Parallel port 9600 modem, but I'm not sure if I have an interface spec for it.

                                          FIle Export/Import will be included in some form, but I haven't decided exactly what yet. Likewise I haven't decided yet what SMTP/Telnet facilites to include. I'd love to see an all amateur network with no need for linking over the Internet, but accept that is not possible at the moment. If we have to use the Internet, I don't feel telnet is the right choice, but as my software will have to interface to other systems it may be unavoidable.

                                          My original intention was not to include 7+ and related stuff such as REQFIL/REQIR, as I suppose I see the system as primarily for messaging rather than file transfer, but this has been mentioned by a few of you, so I hay reconsider.

                                          I'm not sure what you mean by with or without password structure.

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
                                            Charles,

                                            I'd love to see an all-ham netwrok, as in fact we had in the early 90's. However, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to produce a system which made it impossiblre to "cheat" Even if I disabled the obvious Internet facilities like AXIP/UDP and telnet, it would be possible to set up a serial port tunnel which looked to the software  like a KISS TNC, but actually went over the Internet. In the end I think it will have to come down to honesty and trust.

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jun 24, 2009
                                              John Wiseman wrote:
                                              Message
[...]

                                                                                    What I was meaning by the password structure is that a sysop can configure the system
                                              to require a password to gain access or leave it open for anyone to login without a password.

                                              I run 4 radio ports here on my Linux BBS and it does not require any password for access, however, telnet is a different story, one needs a password to be able to do anything at all.

                                              I think the servers, 7+, Reqfil and Reqdir etc could be valuable tools for those who may want to setup the BBS
                                              for emergency work with default "paper forms" or files so to speak being able to be requested remotely without the need to actually talk to people to request forms etc.

                                              One of the biggest problems is of course that everyone has different ideas and uses for their BBS`s, Hi.

                                              Regards ..... Peter