RE: [BPQ32] Chat Server

    Message 1 of 10 , May 5 7:11 AM
      Thanks, Hank.

      Is there any loop detection mechanism?

      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Hank Oredson
      Sent: 05 May 2009 15:03
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [BPQ32] Chat Server

      Here's the protocol for the RoundTable chat server:

      // Copyright (C) 1987 - 2008
      // H. N. Oredson

      // RoundTable server.

      // Protocol version.

      #define FORMAT       1
      #define FORMAT_O     0   // Offset in frame to format byte.
      #define TYPE_O       1   // Offset in frame to kind byte.
      #define DATA_O       2   // Offset in frame to data.

      // Protocol Frame Types.

      #define id_join   'J'    // User joins RT.
      #define id_leave  'L'    // User leaves RT.
      #define id_link   'N'    // Node joins RT.
      #define id_unlink 'Q'    // Node leaves RT.
      #define id_data   'D'    // Data for all users.
      #define id_send   'S'    // Data for one user.
      #define id_topic  'T'    // User changes topic.
      #define id_user   'I'    // User login information.

      // RT protocol version 1.
      // First two bytes are FORMAT and Frame Type.
      // These are followed by text fields delimited by blanks.
      // Note that "node", "to", "from", "user" are callsigns.

      // ^AQ<node> <node>               - Node leaves.

      // Connect protocol:

      // 1. Connect to node.
      // 2. Send *RTL
      // 3. Receive OK. Will get disconnect if link is not allowed.
      // 4. Go to it.

      // Disconnect protocol:

      // 1. If there are users on this node, send an id_leave for each user,
      //    to each node you are disconnecting from.
      // 2. Disconnect.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 5 7:27 AM
        Yes there is loop detection, it's fairly simple.
        Can dig out the code for that if wanted.

        This is the same protocol used by the origional RoundTable
        implemented in my old MB ... there is still one of those
        running in our network ;-)

        Message 3 of 10 , May 5 9:35 AM
          Here's the source for the old Linux linked convers system server.
          This is the same system JNOS interacts with. I'm not familiar with
          any documents actually describing the protocol.

          <http://radio.linux.org.au/pkgdetail.phtml?sectpat=packet&ordpat=subsection&descpat=&pkgid=66>

          JNOS source will also probably be a good reference.

          I don't know if this works with the Round Table system Hank mentioned.

          73
          Bill - WA7NWP

          On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 1:31 AM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am writing a windows based replacement for the FastChat server that a few
          > of you are using. I would like to add a facilitty to link servers together,
          > and it seems sensible to be compatible with oither systes. Does anyone have
          > a spec for the NOS convers linking protocol?
        • Peter - ZL2BAU
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
          Hi John,

          Had 3 crashes with version 103 and also found this with the
          Chat server.

          Regards ..... Peter
        • vk2na
          Message 5 of 10 , Jan 31, 2014
            My chat server (core dumps) when I get asked to Please enter your name>

            My Applications line is:

            APPLICATION 2,CHAT,,VK2NA-2,CHTNEW,255

            It appears as a node.

            In the ChatServer settings I have not configured a link to another chat server yet.

            Any suggestions on what I may have not set up correctly.

            De Dave VK2NA
            Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2014

              Dave,

              It is a recently introduced bug that I found and fixed last night. Try downloading the latest from

              https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/linbpq                (x86 Linux)

              or

              https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/pilinbpq              (Raspberry PI)

              Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2014

                Thanks John,

                Yes... working.  Cheers.  Appreciate the help.

                de Dave

                VK2NA

              • K7ILO
                Message 8 of 10 , Feb 2, 2014

                  Hey John.

                  I have been meaning to bring this to your attention but have been tied down with a lot of things to take care of.

                  When I log in to admin the mail server using the web access in macbpq, macbpq shuts  down and when I got to that machine, I see a Bus error warning.

                  At the moment, I am using Version 6.0.4.55 but I have seen this in earlier versions.

                  Any ideas?

                  Thanks John.

                  Harold

                  K7ILO