BPQ32 works on Windows Server 2008 64 bit

  • ng7m
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2009
      Many may find this interesting, i'm running BPQ on Windows Server 2008 64bit and it's working just fine.

      With the 64bit version the 32 bit code of BPQ and other programs i'm running execute via the WoW (Windows on Windows) 32 bit emulation... BPQ code is obvioulsy 32 bit code.

      I'm also running AR-Cluster and AGW PE Pro on this same setup... all of this code is working fine through the 32bit WoW emulation. AR-Cluster and AGWPE have been running fine like this for months. Very, very reliable on the server class machine I use.

      One thing of interest is that when BPQ was installed with Ron's installer, the bpq32.dll was automatically installed here:

      C:\Windows\SysWOW64

      So the OS knows you are installing 32 bit code and it takes care of the location of the install.

      Ron mentioned that there have been questions about running BPQ on Vista, so this should give us a good idea that it would work where Windows 2008 is using a similar Vista OS kernal.

      Regards

      mg NG7M
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2009
        mg

        You are the first to report that BPQ32 runs on Windows Server 2008.  I had heard that WS2008 was 'Vista like', however clearly it goes beyond Vista in having the WoW 32 bit emulation mode.  The installer I use is the NSIS system http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

        It installs bpq32.dll in the appropriate (depending upon the particular OS from Win95 thru XP).  Apparently it knows also where this belongs in WS2008, and maybe Vista too.  Credit the NSIS package with the needed smarts.

        But what all this comes down to is the relentless move to Vista and then Windows 7.  I do not look forward to the changes which will likely have to be made in BPQ32 and likely also the installer.  I have several ham programs which fail to work in Vista and so far I am hiding my head in the sand as I reverted to XP!

        Ron, N5IN

        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2009
          Ron,

          Just an FYI, BPQ32 runs on Win 7 fine. I have
          been running it on the 64 bit version here for a
          little over a month.

          - Mark K2CAN

          Ron Stordahl wrote:

          > mg
          >
          > You are the first to report that BPQ32 runs on Windows Server 2008. I
          > had heard that WS2008 was 'Vista like', however clearly it goes beyond
          > Vista in having the WoW 32 bit emulation mode. The installer I use is
          > the NSIS system http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
          > <http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page>
          >
          > It installs bpq32.dll in the appropriate (depending upon the particular
          > OS from Win95 thru XP). Apparently it knows also where this belongs in
          > WS2008, and maybe Vista too. Credit the NSIS package with the needed
          > smarts.
          >
          > But what all this comes down to is the relentless move to Vista and then
          > Windows 7. I do not look forward to the changes which will likely have
          > to be made in BPQ32 and likely also the installer. I have several ham
          > programs which fail to work in Vista and so far I am hiding my head in
          > the sand as I reverted to XP!
          >
          > Ron, N5IN

        • Eric Carling
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2009

            It seems to be all good news as far as Windows 7 is concerned.

            I was running Vista and BPQ32 ran fine in that so long as I didn’t use agwtobpq.exe which would run but frequently crash. Now I am running Windows 7 RC1 with the optional ‘XP Mode’ (a kind of virtual XP to make 7 completely backwards compatible for apps that had trouble with Vista). With this all components of BPQ run just fine (well, after 5 days testing anyway).

            Anyone running XP now but who has to eventually contemplate changing OS (eg new computer), I suggest bypassing Vista and waiting for the official release of Windows 7. It’s supposed to be out last quarter 2009 or early 2010.

            Eric G0CGL.

            Message 5 of 8 , May 1, 2009

              Which version of 08 are you using? Standard or what? I use 2003 enterprise and wouldn’t mind going up.

              Thanks,

              73 Dave

              Dave Calder

              n4zkf@...

              www.n4zkf.com

              Message 6 of 8 , May 1, 2009
                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "ng7m" <m.matthew.george@...> wrote:

                > Many may find this interesting, i'm running BPQ on Windows Server 2008 64bit and it's working just fine.
                >
                > With the 64bit version the 32 bit code of BPQ and other programs i'm running execute via the WoW (Windows on Windows) 32 bit emulation... BPQ code is obvioulsy 32 bit code.
                >
                > I'm also running AR-Cluster and AGW PE Pro on this same setup... all of this code is working fine through the 32bit WoW emulation. AR-Cluster and AGWPE have been running fine like this for months. Very, very reliable on the server class machine I use.
                >
                > One thing of interest is that when BPQ was installed with Ron's installer, the bpq32.dll was automatically installed here:
                >
                > C:\Windows\SysWOW64
                >
                > So the OS knows you are installing 32 bit code and it takes care of the location of the install.
                >
                > Ron mentioned that there have been questions about running BPQ on Vista, so this should give us a good idea that it would work where Windows 2008 is using a similar Vista OS kernal.
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > mg NG7M

                This is also the thing with windows 7 witch also uses the WoW.
                In windows 7 there is a windows XP implented.
                So programs made for XP should also run fine in Windows 7.

                You need the PRO/ultimate version of 7 for this to work.

                73's Danny
              • Matthew George
                Message 7 of 8 , May 1, 2009
                  Hi Dave, it's been a while... it's the Enterprise Standard version if memory serves me correct.  For this type of stuff i'm sure you would be good with any version.

                  mg NG7M

                  Which version of 08 are you using? Standard or what? I use 2003 enterprise and wouldnÂ’t mind going up.

                  Thanks,

                  73 Dave

                  Dave Calder

                  n4zkf@n4zkf. com

                  www.n4zkf.com

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2009

                                                    Yes it has. Thanks, but I do a ton of other things with the box other than bpq. That’s why I run the Enterprise version of 03.

                                                    What I’m using works fine, I guess I need to just keep my $$$ in my pocket and let it do its thing.

                                                    I am running a quad 64 so I’d like to go to 64 bit on a couple of programs that get hammered a lot.

                                                    thanks, 73 Dave