Fast Chat Setup

  • Stephen
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 27 5:17 PM
      I am looking for someone who has setup fastchat with BPQ I have downloaded the fastchat program but I not sure were to start to make it work with BPQ. I have read the posting but this has not helped me.
      If you have it working I would be interested in finding how to make it work.
      Thanks
      Stephen
      VE9SC/VE9MPF
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 28 2:20 AM
        Stephen,

        Make sure you have the latest (1st April) BPQ32 release.

        Extract bpq1632.exe from BPQ32\RelatedFiles\BPQ1632\BPQ1632.zip to Fastchat directory.

        Extract bpq1632.dll from BPQ32\RelatedFiles\BPQ1632\BPQ1632.zip to Windows\System32 directory.

        From Fastchat directory, run bpq1632.exe

        Run Fastchat.exe. Params are Start Stream Number, Number of Streams, Application Mask, Sysop Name, Display Mode. I use:

        FASTCHAT.EXE 40 10 2 John C

        (Chat is Appication 2).

        I suggest you set the Properties on fastchat.exe to "Close on Exit" (Right Click, Slect Properties, Program), and create a batch file to run bpq1632 and fastchat. If you run it from a command prompt, you will have to close the command window once fastchat exits to release the connection to bpq32.

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 28 10:42 AM
          First thank you for the info.
          I have looked everywhere I could, but was not having much luck. I will give it a try in the next couple of days and advise.
          I thank you for the reply.
          Stephen
          VE9SSC/VE9MPF

          > Stephen,
          >
          > Make sure you have the latest (1st April) BPQ32 release.
          >
          > Extract bpq1632.exe from BPQ32\RelatedFiles\BPQ1632\BPQ1632.zip to Fastchat
          > directory.
          >
          > Extract bpq1632.dll from BPQ32\RelatedFiles\BPQ1632\BPQ1632.zip to
          > Windows\System32 directory.
          >
          > From Fastchat directory, run bpq1632.exe
          >
          > Run Fastchat.exe. Params are Start Stream Number, Number of Streams,
          > Application Mask, Sysop Name, Display Mode. I use:
          >
          > FASTCHAT.EXE 40 10 2 John C
          >
          > (Chat is Appication 2).
          >
          > I suggest you set the Properties on fastchat.exe to "Close on Exit" (Right
          > Click, Slect Properties, Program), and create a batch file to run bpq1632
          > and fastchat. If you run it from a command prompt, you will have to close
          > the command window once fastchat exits to release the connection to bpq32.

        • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 28 11:33 AM

            > From Fastchat directory, run bpq1632.exe

            Does Fastchat connect to other Fastchat (or similar) chat servers or
            is it standalone?

            I'm assuming it would be accessed from the net by standard BQP telnet?

            Thanks,
            Bill - WA7NWP
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 28 12:06 PM
              Bill,

              FastChat is a standalone system.

              It is accessed as any other BPQ32 application - via ax.25 or NETROM connections. These could be, but don't need to be, via telnet.

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 28 6:43 PM
                I have it working it was very easy to setup with your instructions. I update to the April 1 release and the rest was as you stated. I made a bat file to start it and it works great.
                If anyone would like to try it just let me know. I will set you up.
                My node is telnet ve9mpf-7.dyndns.org 8010
                If requires username & password but if you email I will set it up
                Email ve9sc@...
                Thanks again John I looked everywhere on how to set this up. I am going to take your email and made a help doc for all with your permission then post it.
                I am like a kid in a candy store when I get something to work.
                Next I have to get DX-Spider to work with AGW & BPQ but that can be another project.
                Take care all if I can help anyone just let me know.
                73
                VE9SC/VE1MPF/VE9MPF
                Stephen

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 28 11:44 PM
                  Stephen,

                  I'm pleased to hear it is working. Please feel free to create some documentation.

                  Spider works directly to BPQ32 - you don't need AGW (unless for some special hardware - such as sound card modems)

                  --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

                  > Bill,
                  >
                  > FastChat is a standalone system.
                  >
                  > It is accessed as any other BPQ32 application - via ax.25 or NETROM
                  > connections. These could be, but don't need to be, via telnet.

                • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 29 12:33 PM

                    > Bill,
                    >
                    > FastChat is a standalone system.

                    Hmm... This means there are no 'convers' conferenced chat systems
                    for a BPQ32 setup. It might be interesting to try a JNOS
                    configuration that's tuned to be only a chat client. It will talk to
                    other convers servers -- if there are any still running out there
                    somewhere...

                    Bill
                  • Jim WU3V AAM8AMT
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 29 1:25 PM
                      Bill maybe we should all make it so!

                      > Hmm... This means there are no 'convers' conferenced chat systems
                      > for a BPQ32 setup. It might be interesting to try a JNOS
                      > configuration that's tuned to be only a chat client. It will talk to
                      > other convers servers -- if there are any still running out there
                      > somewhere...
                      >

                      > Bill

                    • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 30 11:34 AM
                        On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Jim WU3V AAM8AMT <james@...> wrote:

                        > Bill maybe we should all make it so!

                        We shall... We're planning on heading over the pass to meet my
                        folks (from Kevin) in Missoula this weekend. I'll have a little
                        playing time so will try to get a trimmed JNOS working by BPQ.

                        73
                        Bill