RE: [BPQ32] AXIP MHeard by IPAD

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
      Message
      Mark,

      I'm very suprised that the call and IP address don't appear in the AXIP Mheard. It should include all packets that are passed to the node code. I'm on my boat at the moment, so can't test it, but will check next time I'm home. From what I recall, the only snag is that on at least one of my routers, the NAT code in the router results in the MHeard list containing the router address rarher than the real station's address.

      Having siad that, I have also seen the problem of NODES being received from unexpected places. I guess the real answer is to only accept messages from stations in the resolver list- there is not much point in processing a packet from a statiion you can't reply to!

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
        John Wiseman wrote:

        > Mark,
        >
        > I'm very suprised that the call and IP address don't appear in the AXIP
        > Mheard. It should include all packets that are passed to the node code.
        > I'm on my boat at the moment, so can't test it, but will check next time
        > I'm home. From what I recall, the only snag is that on at least one of
        > my routers, the NAT code in the router results in the MHeard list
        > containing the router address rarher than the real station's address.

        In the case of this one, it didn't for some
        reason. I haven't used it much so I'm not sure
        what it's done in the past. I will watch it and
        see if it shows the ipad the next time a 'rogue'
        node appears.

        > Having siad that, I have also seen the problem of NODES being received
        > from unexpected places. I guess the real answer is to only accept
        > messages from stations in the resolver list- there is not much point in
        > processing a packet from a statiion you can't reply to!

        Exactly. Tying the node list data to the IP
        resolver would solve that problem.

        Thanks John, enjoy the boat ! Wish we could here
        but the wx isn't quite warm enough (yet).

        - Mark

      • Mark Harloff
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
          Yes, it looks like it is.
          Thanks Jim (and Mike).

          - Mark K2CAN

          Jim WU3V AAM8AMT wrote:

          > This is Netherlands CB packet radio (probably)
          >
          > Jim

        • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
            >> Having said that, I have also seen the problem of NODES being received
            >> from unexpected places. I guess the real answer is to only accept
            >> messages from stations in the resolver list- there is not much point in
            >> processing a packet from a statiion you can't reply to!
            >
            > Exactly. Tying the node list data to the IP
            > resolver would solve that problem.

            Or, based on appropriate security criteria, add the IP of the nodes
            being received TO the IP Resolver. There are instances where either
            would be useful and it should be a configuration detail for sysop.

            For those on the 44 net or equivalent Amateur Hamachi VPN, it wouldn't
            be unreasonable to accept node connections from other stations with a
            similar home IP address.

            Other criteria could be use but I for now I'll leave it here.

            Bill - WA7NWP
          • Tony Corbett
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
              Hmm! I can see this function being very useful if it were to be implemented,
              however agree that it should be an on or off configurable item by the SysOp,
              perhaps off by default?

              de Tony
              G0WFV

              >> Having said that, I have also seen the problem of NODES being received
              >> from unexpected places. I guess the real answer is to only accept
              >> messages from stations in the resolver list- there is not much point in
              >> processing a packet from a statiion you can't reply to!
              >
              > Exactly. Tying the node list data to the IP
              > resolver would solve that problem.

              Or, based on appropriate security criteria, add the IP of the nodes
              being received TO the IP Resolver. There are instances where either
              would be useful and it should be a configuration detail for sysop.

              For those on the 44 net or equivalent Amateur Hamachi VPN, it wouldn't
              be unreasonable to accept node connections from other stations with a
              similar home IP address.

              Other criteria could be use but I for now I'll leave it here.

              Bill - WA7NWP

              06:34:00
            • Mark Harloff
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2009
                Tony has a good point. If it was implemented
                that way it probably would be best to have if
                OFF by default.

                - Mark K2CAN

                Tony Corbett wrote:

                > Hmm! I can see this function being very useful if it were to be implemented,
                > however agree that it should be an on or off configurable item by the SysOp,
                > perhaps off by default?
                >
                > de Tony
                > G0WFV

              • Tony Corbett
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
                  Hi,

                  How can I get my nodes list to include (some of the) nodes being broadcast
                  by neighbouring nodes?

                  Mine only seems to include the neighbouring nodes only, ie, no nodes more
                  than 1 hop away!

                  de Tony
                  G0WFV
                • Mark Harloff
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 23, 2009
                    Increase the distance between your MINQUAL and
                    QUALITY settings.

                    Be careful though Tony, you probably don't want
                    to include Nodes that are so many hops out that
                    they are unreachable.

                    - Mark K2CAN