DXSpider sysop needed to test BPQ32

  • Ron Stordahl N5IN
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 20 8:59 AM
      A DXSpider sysop is needed to test the new beta release of BPQ32.
      Ideally this would be one who is running the Windows version of
      DXSpider where BPQ32 could reside on the same machine.

      Ron, N5IN
    • scarroll@mchsi.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20 9:12 AM
        Ron,

        You must be reading my mind, as I was just getting ready to draft an email.
        Over the past weekend, I was able to get BPQ32 working like a champ (with your
        recommendations) and it's been running 3 RF ports without a problem. The one
        thing I do miss though is the remote monitoring of unproto frames that AGWPE
        gave me. Perhaps in the near future the BPQTerminal will allow logging in from
        ANY remote ip address over the internet. The AGWTerm program was very helpful
        in that regard. Mind you, I have replaced AGWPE with BPQ32 (w/DXSpider for
        Windows). Of course, I could always run both and still use AGWTerm... however,
        in my setup AGWPE isn't necessary. Running W98SE on the computer, so I had to
        manually do the .OCX registration, etc. But, so far it's working fine. Hope
        that information helps, let me know what else I can tell you.

        73, Steve - K2SC
      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20 10:26 AM
          Steve

          Would you be able to provide a write up which I could include in future
          documentation about how to configure DXSpider for use with BPQ32? I
          suppose it would be brief, the idea of the new BPQ32 is in that
          application is it a simple replacement for AGWPE, probably only
          requiring a change in the port number (either configuring DXSpider to
          use port 8001, or changing AGWtoBPQ to use 8000 (in which case the new
          BPQ32 should just 'drop in')). I am also interested in your startup
          procedure.

          You are correct in that you cannot use AGWTerm...for monitoring, as
          currently BPQ32 lacks that aspect of it's interface, but this is
          something John may add. BPQTerminal does have a monitor window, however
          it lacks multiple connect windows. I think the lack of multiple connect
          windows in BPQTerminal is why you would wish to use AGWTerm...? At
          this point you can regain this capability by configuring your ports to
          use AGWPE. I have done so, but primarily to exercise the BPQtoAGW.dll
          interface.

          Apparently the originally released AGWtoBPQ.exe did not suffer from the
          'callsign registration' issue reported in the case of Digi_ned? You
          will want to try the latest AGWtoBPQ.exe just released today which you
          will find in the archive in folder BPQ32_409r_Beta_20050920 in the files
          section. The new .exe has a date of 9/19/2005 6:57PM and reports it's
          revision as 0.15 Beta Sept 2005.

          Ron, N5IN

          scarroll@... wrote:
          > Ron,
          >
          > You must be reading my mind, as I was just getting ready to draft an
          > email.
          > Over the past weekend, I was able to get BPQ32 working like a champ
          > (with your
          > recommendations) and it's been running 3 RF ports without a problem.
          > The one
          > thing I do miss though is the remote monitoring of unproto frames that
          > AGWPE
          > gave me. Perhaps in the near future the BPQTerminal will allow logging
          > in from
          > ANY remote ip address over the internet. The AGWTerm program was very
          > helpful
          > in that regard. Mind you, I have replaced AGWPE with BPQ32 (w/DXSpider
          > for
          > Windows). Of course, I could always run both and still use AGWTerm...
          > however,
          > in my setup AGWPE isn't necessary. Running W98SE on the computer, so I
          > had to
          > manually do the .OCX registration, etc. But, so far it's working fine.
          > Hope
          > that information helps, let me know what else I can tell you.
          >
          > 73, Steve - K2SC

        • Ron Stordahl N5IN
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 20 12:02 PM
            For some reason Johns' reply didn't make it to the BPQ32 group, and
            so I am reproducing it as it contains useful information, and I want
            to keep it 'in the log'. -- Ron

            Steve,

            BPQTerminal did have a remote access facility, but it has been moved
            into a
            new program, BPQTelnetServer. With this, you can connect to a BPQ node
            remotely, using any telnet client, and monitor port activity (send
            command
            "\\\ MON ON"). At the moment it will monitor all traffic, but if
            needed I
            could add some filtering options. Also I will probably add emulation
            of the
            AGW monitor system later this year.

            Regards,

            John

          • Stephen J Carroll
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 21 3:41 AM
              Ron,

              I will put together a few notes on using BPQ32 and DXSpider, although as you noted it's pretty much a "plug & play" drop-in replacement for AGWPE. John's reply about using BPQTelnetServer to monitor unproto packets helps enormously.

              Unfortunately, I'm headed out of town this morning... so the write-up will have to wait until I return.

              Thanks for all your work !!!

              73, Steve - K2SC