RE: [BPQ32] Telnet Login

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
      Rod,

      I would not like a system open the the Internet without passwords. How would the authorites react if you made no attempt to stop non licenced people sending data over amateur radio?

      I don't see how you could operate without a user name - how is the system supposed to know who has connected?

      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009

          Rod

          I think John summed it up real well, how are you going to control NON-Hams

          From entering your system, also keep in mind one could use your own call sign

          And you may not be to happy how they use your call sign, sending messages

          Etc. in the mid 90’s we had a poor excuse for a amateur radio operator that

          Used several operators’ call signs, sending messages etc. attempting to delete

          Or Kill messages from PMS and BBS’S, we would think that all radio operators

          Are honest and 99% are but there is always that 1% that thinks he is smarter

          then others, and never grew up from the 11 Meter age.

          I only bring this up for your own protection.

          73

          Mike Melnik N9PMO

          Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
            Rod, I believe Mike is right about this... you may want to give
            this some serious thought.

            73, K.O. N0KFQ

            --

            K.O. Higgs
            n0kfq@...
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
              Rod,

              I use the BPQ telnet on my node and have it set up just as Mike described. I ask people that wish to use the telnet port for the callsign they wish to use, and a password. I feel it is my responsibility as a sysop to verify the legitmacy of that callsign since it is coming through my system. When I get a request, Just go to QRZ.com and look up the call.. I then enter it into the table with the following

              USER={UserCall},{UserPassword},{UserCall}

              That way when a user logs in the prompt will ask for the callsign and password. The third parameter is the call that goes out to the node and it should be the same as the user. Just remember if it is not specified, it is YOUR node call.

              It really is pretty simple. I then just sent the user the Host Name and port so they can set up whatever telnet software they have. At present I have 24 USERS with at least 10 actively using it. Most of the active users are road warriors that take lap tops on business trips and want to keep in touch with their buds back home.

              Karl
              KB8DM

              > Rod
              >

              > I think John summed it up real well, how are you going to control NON-Hams
              >
              > From entering your system, also keep in mind one could use your own call
              > sign
              >
              > And you may not be to happy how they use your call sign, sending messages
              >
              > Etc. in the mid 90's we had a poor excuse for a amateur radio operator that
              >
              > Used several operators' call signs, sending messages etc. attempting to
              > delete
              >
              > Or Kill messages from PMS and BBS'S, we would think that all radio operators
              >

              > Are honest and 99% are but there is always that 1% that thinks he is smarter
              >

              > then others, and never grew up from the 11 Meter age.
              >
              > I only bring this up for your own protection.
              >

              > 73
              >

              > Mike Melnik N9PMO
              >
              > Web Site: <http://www.n9pmo.com> www.n9pmo.com

            • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "vk2dot" <vk2dot@...> wrote:

                > Hi all, I am a little confused with the answers.
                >
                > 1: I have at present 70% of my users come thro the internet via port 23. A J command gives me a list of calls and/or ip addresses with a time stamp attached.

                I'd suggest using another non-standard port number for stuff exposed to the internet. If nothing else, a bit of security through obscurity. 7300, 7373 pretty common choices by hams, but you can set it to others. I do suggest you research what other software could use that particular port now and in the future to avoid potential port conflicts. I've got a list of common port usage this if you need it.

                Thanks to John, BPQ Telnet can be set to listen on your choice of port (big kudos to John). He also included date/time/ip address logging in recent versions (big big kudos from me John).

                > 2: I do not like the idea of a user logging in & using my callsign.

                There's no need to allow it in the first place, you can setup logins for each user, see Mike's reply. Or maybe I'm just not that trusting, grin.

                > 3: It looks like one needs an entry for every user to login via port 23.

                That's correct. Unless you're really really trusting, I would think you would want it that way.

                > 4: Looks like one will fall back to linux node software, to solve the problem - until bpq32 has a solution like XRouter. I was hopeing that bpq32 would work ok, everything else looks good. One used to run bpq years ago before XRouter came out. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

                How exactly does XRouter handle this issue?

                The only gotcha I see with BPQ32's implementation is that I guess it's possible to run up against the 249 limit on a busy/big system? Maybe, if that's possible in the real world of packet radio, John could work it up to allow more or allow more than one instance of Telnet Server to run at once (guess you'd need to use more than one telnet port and config file).

                Maybe it would help if there was a way in BPQ32 telnet server to recognize "internal" LAN IP's from internet IP's and relax security for internal users. Say just allow the login/pwd to be the users callsign and it doesn't have to be pre-setup. Then as I think about this, maybe even that's not a good idea.

                The 249 limit might be a gotcha. If you've got more than one node with internet access, nothing says you can't "distribute" the user load across the different nodes. Say 249 users on Node A's telnet server, then another 249 users on Node B's telnet and so on.

                Of course it might be nice to have a copy of the same user/pwd/call list on each node for redundancy and allow the users to login on whatever node they want to use. If your nodes set on different internet connections from different ISP's, then you've bought yourself some nice redundancy.

                Just my thoughts on this.

                73
                Jeff
                WA4ZKO

              • D.Calder
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009

                  Someone who wants to do something that is not right will just port scan the IP, find an open port and play.

                  Un-fortunately, the unscrupulous kind, will find a way in.

                  Dave Calder

                  n4zkf@...

                  www.n4zkf.com

                  www.n9pmo.com

                • Charlie Davy
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
                    Jeff,

                    > How exactly does XRouter handle this issue?

                    Guest access in XRouter will not permit you to make any downlink connections - You can look at Status, Info, Ports etc but not "go anywhere".

                    --
                    Charlie - M0PZT
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 31, 2009
                      The limit is only 249 because I could'nt imagine anyone wanting more. When I have a few minutes to spare I'll change it.