TNC-X in BPQ32 ?

  • Charlie Davy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
      As per the subject...

      http://www.tnc-x.com/

      Been looking at these for a while, they appear on the COM port (or USB appearing as a COM port) as a KISS device and work under AGW and any app that'll talk in KISS mode - theoretically that should make them work in BPQ...

      Anyone using them on this group ?

      At the puny asking price, I'm tempted to get one just to play with as it'd come in handy anyway and reading the source-code made for good bedtime reading ;)

      --
      Charlie - M0PZT
    • Hank Oredson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
        I have a couple of them on air. They work well.
        Clean board layout, easy to stuff and solder.
        Mounted one inside a 100W Mitrek.

          ... Hank - W0RLI

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
          > I have a couple of them on air. They work well.
          > Clean board layout, easy to stuff and solder.
          > Mounted one inside a 100W Mitrek.
          >
          > ... Hank - W0RLI

          Thanks for than, Hank.

          As I suspected, a neat little unit with decent documentation. I have all the PIC gear (breadboard programmer, compiler etc) so I'll probably get one or two to play with and roll a few of my own later on down the line.

          I'm also looking at trying out a couple of 433.92MHz data modules out. For our non-UK friends, they are licence-free devices that you can use for security, telemetry etc and run up to 19k2. They just happen to be slap-bang in the middle of our 70cm band. RF output is mW but for well-sited links they'd do quite well. I've got some Parallax units on the way, only $60US for a TX/RX pair.

          Also worth a look is http://www.radiometrix.com/

          --
          Charlie - M0PZT
        • Jack Chomley
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
            You could also look at the ER400TRS from LPRS

            www.lprs.co.uk

            73 Jack VK4JRC

          • wavetel@internode.on.net
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
              Charlie,

              Looks like a few are using them. I have a TNC-x on a Win 98Se machine under BPQ32 . It also works with AGW and also have used it under Linux 2.6 Kernel .. They are pretty good .

              Tony  Hunt Vk5ah
            • Karl
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
                I bought one of the TNC-X kits and it worked great right out of the box. For the price and not having to worry about the TNC droping out of KISS its great. I use it strait with BPQ no other interface ....

                Karl
                KB8DM

                --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, wavetel@... wrote:

                > Charlie,
                >
                > Looks like a few are using them. I have a TNC-x on a Win 98Se
                > machine under BPQ32 . It also works with AGW and also have used it
                > under Linux 2.6 Kernel .. They are pretty good .
                >
                > Tony Hunt Vk5ah

              • Charlie Davy
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
                  Thank you Karl and Tony for your comments... These units seem like the ideal solution, plus an excuse to warm-up the soldering iron. I've never had much of a problem with BSX and Tiny2's dropping out of KISS mode - just a lack of actual TNC hardware, never really investigated PICs until 2006 - now I'm hooked.

                  It's amazing to think that PICs have been used in AX25 for over 10yrs yet hardly anyone (at least here in the UK) is doing much with them. Most the people I know are using PICs for repeater controllers.

                  --
                  Charlie - M0PZT
                • Enki
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
                    Charlie Davy wrote:
                    > It's amazing to think that PICs have been used in AX25 for over 10yrs yet hardly anyone (at least here in the UK) is doing much with them. Most the people I know are using PICs for repeater controllers.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Charlie - M0PZT

                    An Atmel ATtiny2313 plus a quad OpAmp makes a very good 9600bps
                    baseband modem (G3RUH). A SPI FRAM would be needed to run KISS.

                    An Atmel ATmega48 plus a quad OpAmp makes a very good 1200bps AFSK
                    modem, running DSP filters on RX and tone generation via PWM on TX.
                    A SPI FRAM would be needed to run KISS.

                    The PC interface could be RS232 or USB using just one more IC.

                    Mark Jordan, PY3SS