BTEXT, IDMSG and UI Frames

  • Charlie Davy
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 24, 2009
      I'm just looking at the system I've built up here and am not sure about the BTEXT, IDMSG and UI Mail frames from WinFBB... I've got UNPROTO=FBB in each Port definition, yet BEACON1.SYS in the FBB config is set to ! MAIL - yet the mail beacon reverts to FBB ?

      22:20:25R GB7ZZZ>FBB Port=1 <UI C>:
      133 !!

      22:21:31R GB7ZZZ>FBB Port=1 <UI C>:
      GB7ZZZ BBS - Chelmsford Essex JO01FS : 18 active messages
      Mail for: M0PZT

      22:22:37R M0PZT-1>ID Port=1 <UI C>:
      !5145.12N/00026.60En CHELMS 10m/2m/70cm Network Node

      I understand that BPQ is overriding the UNPROTO address, but surely if one is already defined, it shouldn't be changed ? I was under the assumption that beacons were sent to ID and MailFor and Message beacons went to MAIL and FBB respectively.

      I was expecting:

      1) A Node Beacon to ID
      2) A BBS Beacon to ID
      2) A MailFor Beacon to MAIL
      3) A Message # alert to FBB

      Or is there a "standard" way of doing this ? ie: turning-off BTEXT and combining 1+2 to form 1 main beacon text, for example....

      Regards,
      --
      Charlie - M0PZT
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009
        Charlie,

        This is a limitation caused by the way FBB interfaces to BPQ32. It thinks it is talking to a DED mode TNC, which only has one port. Applications using BPQ32 have two ways to generate beacons, one where the application constructs the complete message, including the Address Header, and the other where the App provides the text, and BPQ32 uses it's UNPROTO setting for the addresses. When I write the BPQDED routines I had the choice, but if I'd used the Unproto string from FBB, you wouldn't be able to set a different DIGI path for each port, The consensus at the time was that the way it works now was the best option, but I'd be willing to look into other ways of handling it if this is a serious problem.

        The ID message is always sent to ID - this is node by the BPQ32, not the application.

        BTEXT, if specified. is always sent to the PORT UNPROTO address, again by BPQ32, not the application.

        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009
          John,
          Thanks for the clarification - I'll just merge the BBS+Node Beacon into 1 generic bit of text, I think.

          Finally - with regards to FBBWin16 and BPQ32 - what's the Mux setting actually for ? I note that I'm supposed to set it to however many BPQ ports I have, but even with a value of "1" (and 7 BPQ ports), everything still works. UI frames are going out on all ports, connections can be made etc...

          Confused of Chelmsford ;)

          Regards,
          --
          Charlie - M0PZT
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009
            Ok, Charlie.

            I don't know what the MUX param does on a TFWIN port. I think Mike N9PMO suggested setting it to the number of BPQ Radio ports - perhaps he knows what it does. But if it is working, I suggest you just leave it alone!

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009

              Good Morning Charlie & John

              The MUX in FBB should be set to the number of ports allocated in BPQCFG.TXT

              So as not to receive Busy from the BBS.

              Mike Melnik N9PMO

              Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009
                I don't find a MUX parameter in my bpqcfg.txt.....
                Where is it located?

                73, K.O.

                --

                K.O. Higgs
                n0kfq@...
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009
                  > I don't find a MUX parameter in my bpqcfg.txt.....
                  > Where is it located?

                  It's not a BPQ32 config parameter, but an FBB one - part of the "Ports" settings. the Mux setting doesn't appear to be doing much in my case, then. I initiated 4 connections via the switch using various test callsigns (1 direct via BPQ Terminal and 3 via BPQ's Telnet app) and with a Mux value of "1" and 7 BPQ ports, did not receive a "Busy" from the BBS.

                  I do recall FBB not liking it set to 9 for some reason.

                  As I said earlier, it's all working but my Mux setting is contrary to what I've read online and what Mike is saying ;-(

                  --
                  Charlie - M0 (no relation to the other) PZT
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009

                    K.O

                    The MUX (Multi Channel) is in the Port.sys you can edit one of two ways:

                    In Port.sys

                    TNC NbCh Com MultCh Pacln Maxfr NbFwd MxBloc M/P-Fwd Mode Freq

                     0   0    0   0      0     0     0     0      00/01   ----  File-fwd.

                     1   7    8   5      230   3     7     30     00/15   DUY   BPQ

                    From FBB for Windows\WinFBB Configuration\Ports configuration, Mux=

                    Save, Exit, File, Scan System Files

                    You will see my MUX=5 4 Radio Ports, 1 AXIP Port allocated in bpqcfg.txt

                    Mike Melnik N9PMO

                    Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

                    --

                    K.O. Higgs
                    n0kfq@centurytel. net

                  • K.O. Higgs
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009
                      Okay.... hmmm.. been running that set at zero.

                      73, K.O.

                      --

                      K.O. Higgs
                      n0kfq@...
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009

                        K.O

                        The only time the MUX comes into play would be as an example:

                        You have Nb Ch 2, lets say you have two ports allocated in bpqcfg.txt

                        2 stations are connected at the same time on one port, if MUX=0 and a

                        third station would try to connect on the second port he more then

                        likely would receive a Busy from N0KFQ.

                        Originally the MUX= was used for Multi Port TNC’S when FBB communicated

                        Direct with the TNC or DSRI cards and more then one port had to be allocated

                        For a TNC or DSRI Cards, similar when BPQ Code was used, we had to allocate

                        Separate ports in FBB for each in BPQ Code.

                        John was unable to modify the existing BPQ selection in WFBB, but was able

                        To re-write the TFWIN.DLL and the WA8DED.DLL (BPQDED32.DLL)

                        used for the Ports Configuration to communicate with BPQ32.

                        The last release of the TFWIN.DLL as you know now stops the high Processor usage,

                        now 3-6% instead of 100% in 16 BIT Versions of WFBB.

                        Mike Melnik N9PMO

                        Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 25, 2009
                          Thanks, Mike, for clearing that up..