Re: BPQ32 remains "running" via WinFBB

  • Charlie Davy
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 23, 2009
      Thanks, John and Mike...

      Mike: I'm not sure what you mean by "Memory in hold" - do you mean the really small "Program to hold in memory" BPQ32 window ? That's definitely been closed ;)

      John: I couldn't find much about your suggestion, but your hint of "wowexec.exe" gave me a workaround.... It runs under "lsass.exe" so I can shut "wowexec.exe" that way - Messy but a short-term solution.

      Despite being brought-up in MS-DOS, I've forgotten all about EMS, XMS and Interrupts ;)

      Thanks,
      --
      Charlie - M0PZT
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 24, 2009
        Message
        Charlie,

        I'm not sure where lsass.exe fits in the picture, but I run wfbb via a shortcut which starts runfbb, and in the Advanced box under properties, there is a checkbox "Rin in separate memory space". WIth that checked, wfbb gets its own copies of ntvdm.exe and wowexec.exe  (the former is NT/XP's Virtual DOS Emulator, and the latter the 16 bit Windows subsystem)., which close when wfbb exits, freeing all resources. Without "Run in separate memory space", all 16bit windows apps share the same ntvdm and wowexec, which don't close when the program terminates. Tfwin/bpqded16 stays loaded, and holds bpq32.dll in memory.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 24, 2009
          Message

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 24, 2009
            > I'm not sure where lsass.exe fits in the picture, but I run wfbb
            > via a shortcut which starts runfbb, and in the Advanced box under
            > properties, there is a checkbox "Rin in separate memory space".

            Thanks, John - found it... Works like a charm ;)

            re: lsass.exe - The wowexec.exe that I was manually shutting-down was contained "within" it..

            ie:

            lsass.exe
            wowexec.exe

            in the TaskManager list.

            The memory tickbox solves all that, as predicted...

            Regards,
            --
            Charlie - M0PZT