Re: [BPQ32] kamxl

  • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
      Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list. I scored one last
      weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and
      I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

      Bill - WA7NWP

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009

        Information below applies to BPQ32 Only

        Setup for Kantronics 9612 and KAM, 9612 Plus & KAMXL allow for a higher COMM Port BAUD Rate, it has been found in the past 9612, 9612 PLUS and KAMXL must

        Use a COMM BUAD Rate of 19200 or above, if less there is a good chance all three will not communicate on both Radio Ports, one cure is to run the TNC in Full Duplex, must be edited in ports sections and TNC Placed in Full Duplex before entering Kiss Mode, I strongly recommend CD Software for the use of open squelch, on VHF/UHF Port please us the Following Commands:

        CD SOFT

        AB 19200

        IN KISS

        RESET

        Set COMM Port in device manager to same serial BAUD RATE as TNC

        I keep AGWPE on my computer to remove one or more of my 3 TNC’S out of KISS

        You should only use Hyper Term to enter Commands and KISS MODE, Free Version of AGWPE Commands are incorrect for most Kantronics TNC’S

        ; With the following definition BPQ32 accesses the TNC directly.

        PORT

         PORTNUM=1           ; Optional but sets port number if stated

         ID=BPQ 145.030 MHz  ; Displayed by PORTS command

         TYPE=ASYNC          ; Port is RS232 Com

         PROTOCOL=KISS             ; TNC is used in KISS mode

         FULLDUP=0           ; Only meaningful for KISS devices

         IOADDR=1            ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.

         SPEED=19200         ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED

         CHANNEL=A           ; Address if multichannel TNC

         PERSIST=64          ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)

         SLOTTIME=100        ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds

         TXDELAY=280         ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds

         TXTAIL=0            ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end

         QUALITY=0           ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on

                             ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route

                             ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts

         MINQUAL=191         ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or

                             ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value

                             ; of 0 sends everything.

         MAXFRAME=3          ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)

         FRACK=5000          ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds

         RESPTIME=2000             ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds

         RETRIES=10          ; Level 2 maximum retry value

         PACLEN=250          ; Default max packet length for this port

         UNPROTO=Node         ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]

         BCALL=N9PMO-2              ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to BBSCALL/APPL1CALL

         L3ONLY=0            ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port

         DIGIFLAG=1          ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only

         DIGIPORT=0          ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)

         USERS=0                    ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit

        ENDPORT

        PORT

         PORTNUM=2           ; Optional but sets port number if stated

         ID=BPQ 446.100 MHz  ; Displayed by PORTS command

         TYPE=ASYNC          ; Port is RS232 Com

         PROTOCOL=KISS             ; TNC is used in KISS mode

         FULLDUP=0           ; Only meaningful for KISS devices

         IOADDR=1            ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.

         SPEED=19200         ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED

         CHANNEL=B           ; Address if multichannel TNC

         PERSIST=64          ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)

         SLOTTIME=100        ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds

         TXDELAY=180         ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds

         TXTAIL=0            ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end

         QUALITY=192         ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on

                             ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route

                             ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts

         MINQUAL=191         ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or

                             ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value;

                             ; of 0 sends everything.

         MAXFRAME=3          ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)

         FRACK=2000          ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds

         RESPTIME=1000             ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds

         RETRIES=5           ; Level 2 maximum retry value

         PACLEN=250          ; Default max packet length for this port

         UNPROTO=Node        ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]

         BCALL=N9PMO-2              ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to BBSCALL/APPL1CALL

         L3ONLY=1            ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port

         DIGIFLAG=1          ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only

         DIGIPORT=0          ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)

         USERS=0             ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit

        ENDPORT

        Mike Melnik N9PMO

        Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

        Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list.  I scored one last

        weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and

        I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

        Bill - WA7NWP

        > I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode… It took some finagling to get it

        > to work the correct port… May have similar issue with BPQ32…

        <*> Your email settings:

            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:

            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

            mailto:BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com

            mailto:BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Jerry - N9LYA
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
          Bill... I will do some research and experimentation...
          I do know the difference in the KAMXL does NOT Apply to the KAM KAM PLUS
          KAM98 or KPC9612...

          I just have simply forgotten what I did to get it to work.. I will work on a
          print out of the KAMXL's Display function and post it along with my MSYS
          Settings...

          In case they apply to BPQ32... I am sure it would as best I remember the
          parameter I had to play with was one set in THE TNC...

          73 jerry

          Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list. I scored one last
          weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and
          I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

          Bill - WA7NWP

          > I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode. It took some finagling to get
          it
          > to work the correct port. May have similar issue with BPQ32.

        • ke7xo
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
            this probably isn't what you're after, as I use bpq w/agw...

            but for what it's worth, here is the ports portion for my XL...

            Richard

            PORT
            PORTNUM=2
            ID= 144.39
            TYPE=EXTERNAL
            DLLNAME=BPQtoAGW.DLL
            IOADDR=2EEA
            CHANNEL=B
            QUALITY=0
            MINQUAL=0
            MAXFRAME=4
            FRACK=5000
            RESPTIME=1000
            RETRIES=10
            PACLEN=236
            UNPROTO=BPQ32
            L3ONLY=1
            DIGIFLAG=0
            DIGIPORT=0
            USERS=0
            ENDPORT

            PORT
            PORTNUM=3
            ID= 10.149.3
            TYPE=EXTERNAL
            DLLNAME=BPQtoAGW.DLL
            IOADDR=2EEA
            CHANNEL=C
            QUALITY=0
            MINQUAL=0
            MAXFRAME=2
            FRACK=5000
            RESPTIME=1000
            RETRIES=10
            PACLEN=126
            UNPROTO=BPQ32,GATE,WIDE2-1
            L3ONLY=1
            DIGIFLAG=0
            DIGIPORT=0
            USERS=0
            ENDPORT

          • rickh6155@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 18 , May 3
              Mike, I have been helping AB0AF-Dave in Hemet, CA for the past few weeks setting up his
              KAM XL, and, although a bit dated, everything he set up is identical to your recommendation
              with the exception of IOADDR changed to COMPORT.  His issue is that whenever his XL
              transmits simultaneously, as in beaconing, his HF side locks up, won't decode or transmit
              anything.  The VHF side appears to be unaffected.  He has followed your recommendations
              regarding abaud rate speed of 19,200 (I think he actually uses 38,400), FULLDUP set to ON
              prior to placing the XL into KISS mode, etc.  He notes that if he leaves his HF radio off, such
              as when 20 meters is dead at night, the XL appears to function normally.  It's only when his
              HF rig is on.  He's checked RF issues, ferrite beads, changed to a different radio than he
              normally uses for HF, plus a whole host of other stuff he's tried.  Prior to running BPQ, his
              XL was set up in the usual fashion as a KA-Node on VHF and HF ports, functioning perfectly.
              It's only when he runs BPQ that this issue crops up.

              Any other pointers or recommendations you can think of?

              We're desperate!

              73 - Rick
              KE0GB

            • Don Poaps
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3
                Rick

                Tomorrow I'll be putting on my kam xl. Is it possible to still RUN Ka node and still run BPQ.

                LATER

                Don

                --
                Don Poaps
                New Westminster, BC

                Winlink: va7qu@...
                Subject://wl2k

              • rickh6155@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3
                  Good deal, Don.  I got an update from Dave who reminded me that this is more a 'port specific' issue,
                  than a band (HF vs VHF) issue.  If he swaps the port assignment, the lockup happens on his VHF
                  side.  Also, by lockup, he reminded me that it still receives on that port, just doesn't transmit.

                  He's trying some experiments with jumpering the Watchdog Timer.

                  KE0GB - Rick

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3
                    Rick KE0GB

                    First I assume you created 2 Ports for the KAM Plus, both either 19200 or
                    38400
                    First Port config Channel A
                    Second Port Config Channel B

                    Shut down all BPQ32 Programs or use the Sysop command STOPPORT n and any
                    other program like AGWPE on the same port.

                    Take the TNC out of KISS Mode.

                    I/OADDR= or COMPORT= will work, remember you are using only one COM port
                    It is the Channel A, B etc. that the TNC will communicate with BPQ, in Don's
                    case
                    He is only using the VHF port last time I talked with him.

                    For HF in the bpq32.cfg port
                    TXD=40
                    TXTAIL=10
                    PACL=80 (No Higher)
                    FRACK=8000
                    RESPTIME=1500
                    MAXFRAME=2 (No Higher)

                    I would limit the amount of nodes you send on HF, Sysops don't like large
                    broadcasts
                    You can limit the HF port or any port by setting the MINQUAL= the same as
                    QUALITY=
                    You will send your Node & Sub calls plus neighboring node calls (very few) I
                    usually
                    Set the MINQUAL=one above the QUALITY= For RF you will send 1 neighboring
                    node call along with your node call and sub call (application calls)

                    Using a terminal for the TNC check the AB if you entered 38400 manually it
                    should reply the same, (It Must Match what you have set in BPQ32 Port config
                    (Both Ports)
                    Confirm you have taken the TNC out of Full duplex both ports, AB should read
                    something like 38400,N,8,1
                    Disable Full Duplex on both ports this will cause problem as there is not
                    TXD or TXTAIL or Hang, packets will collide.

                    Enter CD SOFT (open squelch on VHF Port)
                    Enter INT KISS
                    Enter RESET

                    At this point the terminal should not be able to talk to the TNC, close the
                    terminal program.

                    Check the above setting in BPQ32.CFG make sure to change to FULLDUP=0
                    SPEED=38400 or what you have chosen, Kantronics will tell you to use the
                    fastest BAUD rate your computer & program can handle.

                    Save File, start programs as usual, if you have further problems let me
                    know, feel free to email me direct.

                    Be patient, I usually don't read my emails until night, I am just too busy
                    in the shop.

                    Hope this solves the problems.

                    73

                    Mike Melnik-N9PMO
                    BPQ32 Yahoo Group moderator

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 4
                      Finally VA7DGP  is now back on RF. The Kam XL is beaconing through BPQ32 Beacon setup. I'm able to log in using OutpostPM via my soundcard from TS2000. I don't know why my TNC-X quit it was a very good tnc but I'm a helping camper now.

                      Locally the KA-Node use these SSID va7dgp-8 and 497dgp as an alias. I know how to do it.
                      Would I need to add

                      BTEXT    va7dgp-8
                      myalias 497dgp
                      BEACON   EVERY 20 (disabled)/EVERY 0 (disabled)

                      Or just let the BPQ Beacon do it's thing

                      This is what I have in Beacon setup

                      VA7DGP   BURNABY/NEW WESTMINISTER BBS
                      VA7DGP-10 WINLINK GATEWAY
                      va7dgp-11 chat

                      497DGP

                      73

                      Don Poaps
                      New Westminster, BC
                      VA7DGP DATA
                      VA7QU   VOICE

                      Winlink: va7qu@...

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 5
                        Mike:  First, this part of the  thread is regarding the KAM xl running in dual-port mode, that Dave-AB0AF
                        has been having issues with on getting it to stay operational on Port 2, whether it's configured for HF or
                        VHF, it still locks out the transmit side of that port only while leaving Port 1 unaffected.  From what he's told me, whenever the KAM XL seems to transmit simultaneously on both ports, such as when broadcasting a beacon, is when it happens, and can only be cleared up by turning the KAM XL off and back on.

                        I myself at my station here, have been using a KAM+ in HF-only with great success by disabling the VHF
                        port using the MAXUSERS command set to 1/0.  This was by recommendation from Kantronics, and the KAM+ has served me well now for the better part of a year.

                        Dave, and apparently others who have subsequently informed me after reading this portion fo the thread,
                        has had this issue with his KAM xl that prevents him from dual-port use.

                        I've just been trying to help Dave-AB0AF get introduced to BPQ and run his KAM xl in dual-port mode
                        with some measure of success, short of just resetting it my turning it off and back on.   He has followed
                        all the guidelines presented here in the group to the "Tee", as well as other recommendations read else-
                        where, and, unfortunately, I have no KAM XL here to run a side-by-side test of what he's experiencing.

                        We appreciate all your input and understand thoroughly that you are extremely busy and will accept any
                        reccommendation regardless how much time it takes.

                        Thanks, my friend and 73!

                        Rick - KE0GB
                      • la7um
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 8
                          Hi, Some sideways info: I run a KAM-XL setup as two port 1200B in a RMS Packet pretending to be KPC4.
                          This works excellent. 2 ports.

                          MARK 1250 and Space 2150.
                          HBAUD 1200/1200
                          This is a kompromise between the common 1200/2200 and KPC9612+s 1300/2100.

                          KAM+ and KPC 4 use a command CD Software/Software for being able running open squelch.
                          KAM XL needs CD Internal/Internal for doing the same.

                          If you don't the tnc will not xmit with an open squelch

                          XMITOK ON or CONOK ON I believe is also necessarry on some of those boxes.

                          You may of those Kantronics  need setting INTFACE TERM before being able making any advance setting.
                          This for getting those boxes out of Newuser mode.  Don't remember if that NEW USER mode exists in KAM XL though.

                          I Have set MAXUSERS 10/10
                          Users 10/10

                          The box is running on another site, so I cant check for actual settings.
                          Rock solid. Needs fresh battery.
                          Good luck.
                          LA7UM Finn / LA3F-10
                        • Don Poaps

                            Message 13 of 18 , May 8
                              Yes Don.
                              But many, including RMS Packet Software, does not know that KAM-XL can run 2 1200B VHF/UHF ports simultanuously in one instance of RMS Packet. Just pretend being the legacy KPC4 after manually fixing some parameters.
                              If choosing KAM-XL as TNC it shows up as a ONE port TNC for for 1200B packet.
                              You need manually adjust some default parameters, and then name the box KPC4. (In RMS Packet)
                              Works like a charm.

                              This trick is not possible using a KAMe or KAM+, since their HF-port filters does not exceed 300B, they really has only one possible 1200B port.
                              No such limitation with the versatile KAM-XL.

                              The box probably could even be adjusted to 9600B on the HF port.
                              Just rename the box as KPC9612+ in RMS Packet after manual parameter settings.
                              This I have not tried myself, so not knowing the quality for links or details for that purpose.

                              Finn LA7UM

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 9
                                Don, and Rick, who I first intended my posting for... if checking the subject text.

                                KAM-XL in TERMINAL mode has Port 1 being HF (Can be changed to 1200B), and Port 2 VHF 1200B.

                                Different than any older Kantronics the terminal command CD  in KAM XL must be set to INTERNAL/INTERNAL for making the box willing to XMIT using an open squelch.   This is different than before when CD had to be SOFTWARE/SOFTWARE for making it willing to XMIT with an open squelch.

                                MAXUSER 10/10
                                USER 10/10
                                CONOK ON/ON

                                When entering  HOST MODE as in a typical standalone RMS Packet, the VHF port is switched and numbered PORT 1, and the HF port is numbered PORT 2 ( also if running it with changed speed and mark/space/shift modem parameters and named as KPC4).

                                This switching of Port numberings also go for using the box in KISS or XKISS Mode.

                                Standard VHF 1200B Port is always considered PORT 1 except when being in Terminal mode.

                                Hope this may help

                                73 de LA7UM Finn / LA3F(-10)