RE: [BPQ32] kamxl

  • Jerry - N9LYA
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009

      I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode… It took some finagling to get it to work the correct port… May have similar issue with BPQ32… I might be able to help.. But some of the items were set in the TNC and some in MSYS.. and I off hand do not remember.. I just know I had to reverse something…

      73 Jerry N9LYA

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
        Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list. I scored one last
        weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and
        I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

        Bill - WA7NWP

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009

          Information below applies to BPQ32 Only

          Setup for Kantronics 9612 and KAM, 9612 Plus & KAMXL allow for a higher COMM Port BAUD Rate, it has been found in the past 9612, 9612 PLUS and KAMXL must

          Use a COMM BUAD Rate of 19200 or above, if less there is a good chance all three will not communicate on both Radio Ports, one cure is to run the TNC in Full Duplex, must be edited in ports sections and TNC Placed in Full Duplex before entering Kiss Mode, I strongly recommend CD Software for the use of open squelch, on VHF/UHF Port please us the Following Commands:

          CD SOFT

          AB 19200

          IN KISS

          RESET

          Set COMM Port in device manager to same serial BAUD RATE as TNC

          I keep AGWPE on my computer to remove one or more of my 3 TNC’S out of KISS

          You should only use Hyper Term to enter Commands and KISS MODE, Free Version of AGWPE Commands are incorrect for most Kantronics TNC’S

          ; With the following definition BPQ32 accesses the TNC directly.

          PORT

           PORTNUM=1           ; Optional but sets port number if stated

           ID=BPQ 145.030 MHz  ; Displayed by PORTS command

           TYPE=ASYNC          ; Port is RS232 Com

           PROTOCOL=KISS             ; TNC is used in KISS mode

           FULLDUP=0           ; Only meaningful for KISS devices

           IOADDR=1            ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.

           SPEED=19200         ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED

           CHANNEL=A           ; Address if multichannel TNC

           PERSIST=64          ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)

           SLOTTIME=100        ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds

           TXDELAY=280         ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds

           TXTAIL=0            ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end

           QUALITY=0           ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on

                               ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route

                               ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts

           MINQUAL=191         ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or

                               ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value

                               ; of 0 sends everything.

           MAXFRAME=3          ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)

           FRACK=5000          ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds

           RESPTIME=2000             ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds

           RETRIES=10          ; Level 2 maximum retry value

           PACLEN=250          ; Default max packet length for this port

           UNPROTO=Node         ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]

           BCALL=N9PMO-2              ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to BBSCALL/APPL1CALL

           L3ONLY=0            ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port

           DIGIFLAG=1          ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only

           DIGIPORT=0          ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)

           USERS=0                    ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit

          ENDPORT

          PORT

           PORTNUM=2           ; Optional but sets port number if stated

           ID=BPQ 446.100 MHz  ; Displayed by PORTS command

           TYPE=ASYNC          ; Port is RS232 Com

           PROTOCOL=KISS             ; TNC is used in KISS mode

           FULLDUP=0           ; Only meaningful for KISS devices

           IOADDR=1            ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.

           SPEED=19200         ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED

           CHANNEL=B           ; Address if multichannel TNC

           PERSIST=64          ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)

           SLOTTIME=100        ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds

           TXDELAY=180         ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds

           TXTAIL=0            ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end

           QUALITY=192         ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on

                               ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route

                               ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts

           MINQUAL=191         ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or

                               ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value;

                               ; of 0 sends everything.

           MAXFRAME=3          ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)

           FRACK=2000          ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds

           RESPTIME=1000             ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds

           RETRIES=5           ; Level 2 maximum retry value

           PACLEN=250          ; Default max packet length for this port

           UNPROTO=Node        ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]

           BCALL=N9PMO-2              ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to BBSCALL/APPL1CALL

           L3ONLY=1            ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port

           DIGIFLAG=1          ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only

           DIGIPORT=0          ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)

           USERS=0             ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit

          ENDPORT

          Mike Melnik N9PMO

          Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

          Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list.  I scored one last

          weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and

          I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

          Bill - WA7NWP

          > I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode… It took some finagling to get it

          > to work the correct port… May have similar issue with BPQ32…

          <*> Your email settings:

              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:

              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              mailto:BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com

              mailto:BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Jerry - N9LYA
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
            Bill... I will do some research and experimentation...
            I do know the difference in the KAMXL does NOT Apply to the KAM KAM PLUS
            KAM98 or KPC9612...

            I just have simply forgotten what I did to get it to work.. I will work on a
            print out of the KAMXL's Display function and post it along with my MSYS
            Settings...

            In case they apply to BPQ32... I am sure it would as best I remember the
            parameter I had to play with was one set in THE TNC...

            73 jerry

            Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list. I scored one last
            weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and
            I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

            Bill - WA7NWP

            > I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode. It took some finagling to get
            it
            > to work the correct port. May have similar issue with BPQ32.

          • ke7xo
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
              this probably isn't what you're after, as I use bpq w/agw...

              but for what it's worth, here is the ports portion for my XL...

              Richard

              PORT
              PORTNUM=2
              ID= 144.39
              TYPE=EXTERNAL
              DLLNAME=BPQtoAGW.DLL
              IOADDR=2EEA
              CHANNEL=B
              QUALITY=0
              MINQUAL=0
              MAXFRAME=4
              FRACK=5000
              RESPTIME=1000
              RETRIES=10
              PACLEN=236
              UNPROTO=BPQ32
              L3ONLY=1
              DIGIFLAG=0
              DIGIPORT=0
              USERS=0
              ENDPORT

              PORT
              PORTNUM=3
              ID= 10.149.3
              TYPE=EXTERNAL
              DLLNAME=BPQtoAGW.DLL
              IOADDR=2EEA
              CHANNEL=C
              QUALITY=0
              MINQUAL=0
              MAXFRAME=2
              FRACK=5000
              RESPTIME=1000
              RETRIES=10
              PACLEN=126
              UNPROTO=BPQ32,GATE,WIDE2-1
              L3ONLY=1
              DIGIFLAG=0
              DIGIPORT=0
              USERS=0
              ENDPORT

            • rickh6155@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 18 , May 3
                Mike, I have been helping AB0AF-Dave in Hemet, CA for the past few weeks setting up his
                KAM XL, and, although a bit dated, everything he set up is identical to your recommendation
                with the exception of IOADDR changed to COMPORT.  His issue is that whenever his XL
                transmits simultaneously, as in beaconing, his HF side locks up, won't decode or transmit
                anything.  The VHF side appears to be unaffected.  He has followed your recommendations
                regarding abaud rate speed of 19,200 (I think he actually uses 38,400), FULLDUP set to ON
                prior to placing the XL into KISS mode, etc.  He notes that if he leaves his HF radio off, such
                as when 20 meters is dead at night, the XL appears to function normally.  It's only when his
                HF rig is on.  He's checked RF issues, ferrite beads, changed to a different radio than he
                normally uses for HF, plus a whole host of other stuff he's tried.  Prior to running BPQ, his
                XL was set up in the usual fashion as a KA-Node on VHF and HF ports, functioning perfectly.
                It's only when he runs BPQ that this issue crops up.

                Any other pointers or recommendations you can think of?

                We're desperate!

                73 - Rick
                KE0GB

              • Don Poaps
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3
                  Rick

                  Tomorrow I'll be putting on my kam xl. Is it possible to still RUN Ka node and still run BPQ.

                  LATER

                  Don

                  --
                  Don Poaps
                  New Westminster, BC

                  Winlink: va7qu@...
                  Subject://wl2k

                • rickh6155@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3
                    Good deal, Don.  I got an update from Dave who reminded me that this is more a 'port specific' issue,
                    than a band (HF vs VHF) issue.  If he swaps the port assignment, the lockup happens on his VHF
                    side.  Also, by lockup, he reminded me that it still receives on that port, just doesn't transmit.

                    He's trying some experiments with jumpering the Watchdog Timer.

                    KE0GB - Rick

                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3
                      Rick KE0GB

                      First I assume you created 2 Ports for the KAM Plus, both either 19200 or
                      38400
                      First Port config Channel A
                      Second Port Config Channel B

                      Shut down all BPQ32 Programs or use the Sysop command STOPPORT n and any
                      other program like AGWPE on the same port.

                      Take the TNC out of KISS Mode.

                      I/OADDR= or COMPORT= will work, remember you are using only one COM port
                      It is the Channel A, B etc. that the TNC will communicate with BPQ, in Don's
                      case
                      He is only using the VHF port last time I talked with him.

                      For HF in the bpq32.cfg port
                      TXD=40
                      TXTAIL=10
                      PACL=80 (No Higher)
                      FRACK=8000
                      RESPTIME=1500
                      MAXFRAME=2 (No Higher)

                      I would limit the amount of nodes you send on HF, Sysops don't like large
                      broadcasts
                      You can limit the HF port or any port by setting the MINQUAL= the same as
                      QUALITY=
                      You will send your Node & Sub calls plus neighboring node calls (very few) I
                      usually
                      Set the MINQUAL=one above the QUALITY= For RF you will send 1 neighboring
                      node call along with your node call and sub call (application calls)

                      Using a terminal for the TNC check the AB if you entered 38400 manually it
                      should reply the same, (It Must Match what you have set in BPQ32 Port config
                      (Both Ports)
                      Confirm you have taken the TNC out of Full duplex both ports, AB should read
                      something like 38400,N,8,1
                      Disable Full Duplex on both ports this will cause problem as there is not
                      TXD or TXTAIL or Hang, packets will collide.

                      Enter CD SOFT (open squelch on VHF Port)
                      Enter INT KISS
                      Enter RESET

                      At this point the terminal should not be able to talk to the TNC, close the
                      terminal program.

                      Check the above setting in BPQ32.CFG make sure to change to FULLDUP=0
                      SPEED=38400 or what you have chosen, Kantronics will tell you to use the
                      fastest BAUD rate your computer & program can handle.

                      Save File, start programs as usual, if you have further problems let me
                      know, feel free to email me direct.

                      Be patient, I usually don't read my emails until night, I am just too busy
                      in the shop.

                      Hope this solves the problems.

                      73

                      Mike Melnik-N9PMO
                      BPQ32 Yahoo Group moderator

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 4
                        Finally VA7DGP  is now back on RF. The Kam XL is beaconing through BPQ32 Beacon setup. I'm able to log in using OutpostPM via my soundcard from TS2000. I don't know why my TNC-X quit it was a very good tnc but I'm a helping camper now.

                        Locally the KA-Node use these SSID va7dgp-8 and 497dgp as an alias. I know how to do it.
                        Would I need to add

                        BTEXT    va7dgp-8
                        myalias 497dgp
                        BEACON   EVERY 20 (disabled)/EVERY 0 (disabled)

                        Or just let the BPQ Beacon do it's thing

                        This is what I have in Beacon setup

                        VA7DGP   BURNABY/NEW WESTMINISTER BBS
                        VA7DGP-10 WINLINK GATEWAY
                        va7dgp-11 chat

                        497DGP

                        73

                        Don Poaps
                        New Westminster, BC
                        VA7DGP DATA
                        VA7QU   VOICE

                        Winlink: va7qu@...

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 5
                          Mike:  First, this part of the  thread is regarding the KAM xl running in dual-port mode, that Dave-AB0AF
                          has been having issues with on getting it to stay operational on Port 2, whether it's configured for HF or
                          VHF, it still locks out the transmit side of that port only while leaving Port 1 unaffected.  From what he's told me, whenever the KAM XL seems to transmit simultaneously on both ports, such as when broadcasting a beacon, is when it happens, and can only be cleared up by turning the KAM XL off and back on.

                          I myself at my station here, have been using a KAM+ in HF-only with great success by disabling the VHF
                          port using the MAXUSERS command set to 1/0.  This was by recommendation from Kantronics, and the KAM+ has served me well now for the better part of a year.

                          Dave, and apparently others who have subsequently informed me after reading this portion fo the thread,
                          has had this issue with his KAM xl that prevents him from dual-port use.

                          I've just been trying to help Dave-AB0AF get introduced to BPQ and run his KAM xl in dual-port mode
                          with some measure of success, short of just resetting it my turning it off and back on.   He has followed
                          all the guidelines presented here in the group to the "Tee", as well as other recommendations read else-
                          where, and, unfortunately, I have no KAM XL here to run a side-by-side test of what he's experiencing.

                          We appreciate all your input and understand thoroughly that you are extremely busy and will accept any
                          reccommendation regardless how much time it takes.

                          Thanks, my friend and 73!

                          Rick - KE0GB
                        • la7um
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 8
                            Hi, Some sideways info: I run a KAM-XL setup as two port 1200B in a RMS Packet pretending to be KPC4.
                            This works excellent. 2 ports.

                            MARK 1250 and Space 2150.
                            HBAUD 1200/1200
                            This is a kompromise between the common 1200/2200 and KPC9612+s 1300/2100.

                            KAM+ and KPC 4 use a command CD Software/Software for being able running open squelch.
                            KAM XL needs CD Internal/Internal for doing the same.

                            If you don't the tnc will not xmit with an open squelch

                            XMITOK ON or CONOK ON I believe is also necessarry on some of those boxes.

                            You may of those Kantronics  need setting INTFACE TERM before being able making any advance setting.
                            This for getting those boxes out of Newuser mode.  Don't remember if that NEW USER mode exists in KAM XL though.

                            I Have set MAXUSERS 10/10
                            Users 10/10

                            The box is running on another site, so I cant check for actual settings.
                            Rock solid. Needs fresh battery.
                            Good luck.
                            LA7UM Finn / LA3F-10
                          • Don Poaps

                              Message 14 of 18 , May 8
                                Yes Don.
                                But many, including RMS Packet Software, does not know that KAM-XL can run 2 1200B VHF/UHF ports simultanuously in one instance of RMS Packet. Just pretend being the legacy KPC4 after manually fixing some parameters.
                                If choosing KAM-XL as TNC it shows up as a ONE port TNC for for 1200B packet.
                                You need manually adjust some default parameters, and then name the box KPC4. (In RMS Packet)
                                Works like a charm.

                                This trick is not possible using a KAMe or KAM+, since their HF-port filters does not exceed 300B, they really has only one possible 1200B port.
                                No such limitation with the versatile KAM-XL.

                                The box probably could even be adjusted to 9600B on the HF port.
                                Just rename the box as KPC9612+ in RMS Packet after manual parameter settings.
                                This I have not tried myself, so not knowing the quality for links or details for that purpose.

                                Finn LA7UM

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 9
                                  Don, and Rick, who I first intended my posting for... if checking the subject text.

                                  KAM-XL in TERMINAL mode has Port 1 being HF (Can be changed to 1200B), and Port 2 VHF 1200B.

                                  Different than any older Kantronics the terminal command CD  in KAM XL must be set to INTERNAL/INTERNAL for making the box willing to XMIT using an open squelch.   This is different than before when CD had to be SOFTWARE/SOFTWARE for making it willing to XMIT with an open squelch.

                                  MAXUSER 10/10
                                  USER 10/10
                                  CONOK ON/ON

                                  When entering  HOST MODE as in a typical standalone RMS Packet, the VHF port is switched and numbered PORT 1, and the HF port is numbered PORT 2 ( also if running it with changed speed and mark/space/shift modem parameters and named as KPC4).

                                  This switching of Port numberings also go for using the box in KISS or XKISS Mode.

                                  Standard VHF 1200B Port is always considered PORT 1 except when being in Terminal mode.

                                  Hope this may help

                                  73 de LA7UM Finn / LA3F(-10)