RE: [BPQ32] kamxl

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009

      Reply sent direct

      Mike Melnik N9PMO

      Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

      -----Original Message-----
      From: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BPQ32@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ws7i
      Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 13:35
      To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [BPQ32] kamxl

      Can someone clip the port section out of there bpqcfg file and send it to me. I am helping a guy with his KAMXL.

      Thanks

      Jay

    • Jerry - N9LYA
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009

        I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode… It took some finagling to get it to work the correct port… May have similar issue with BPQ32… I might be able to help.. But some of the items were set in the TNC and some in MSYS.. and I off hand do not remember.. I just know I had to reverse something…

        73 Jerry N9LYA

        Can someone clip the port section out of there bpqcfg file and send it to me. I am helping a guy with his KAMXL.

        Thanks

        Jay

      • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
          Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list. I scored one last
          weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and
          I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

          Bill - WA7NWP

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009

            Information below applies to BPQ32 Only

            Setup for Kantronics 9612 and KAM, 9612 Plus & KAMXL allow for a higher COMM Port BAUD Rate, it has been found in the past 9612, 9612 PLUS and KAMXL must

            Use a COMM BUAD Rate of 19200 or above, if less there is a good chance all three will not communicate on both Radio Ports, one cure is to run the TNC in Full Duplex, must be edited in ports sections and TNC Placed in Full Duplex before entering Kiss Mode, I strongly recommend CD Software for the use of open squelch, on VHF/UHF Port please us the Following Commands:

            CD SOFT

            AB 19200

            IN KISS

            RESET

            Set COMM Port in device manager to same serial BAUD RATE as TNC

            I keep AGWPE on my computer to remove one or more of my 3 TNC’S out of KISS

            You should only use Hyper Term to enter Commands and KISS MODE, Free Version of AGWPE Commands are incorrect for most Kantronics TNC’S

            ; With the following definition BPQ32 accesses the TNC directly.

            PORT

             PORTNUM=1           ; Optional but sets port number if stated

             ID=BPQ 145.030 MHz  ; Displayed by PORTS command

             TYPE=ASYNC          ; Port is RS232 Com

             PROTOCOL=KISS             ; TNC is used in KISS mode

             FULLDUP=0           ; Only meaningful for KISS devices

             IOADDR=1            ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.

             SPEED=19200         ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED

             CHANNEL=A           ; Address if multichannel TNC

             PERSIST=64          ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)

             SLOTTIME=100        ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds

             TXDELAY=280         ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds

             TXTAIL=0            ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end

             QUALITY=0           ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on

                                 ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route

                                 ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts

             MINQUAL=191         ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or

                                 ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value

                                 ; of 0 sends everything.

             MAXFRAME=3          ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)

             FRACK=5000          ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds

             RESPTIME=2000             ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds

             RETRIES=10          ; Level 2 maximum retry value

             PACLEN=250          ; Default max packet length for this port

             UNPROTO=Node         ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]

             BCALL=N9PMO-2              ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to BBSCALL/APPL1CALL

             L3ONLY=0            ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port

             DIGIFLAG=1          ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only

             DIGIPORT=0          ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)

             USERS=0                    ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit

            ENDPORT

            PORT

             PORTNUM=2           ; Optional but sets port number if stated

             ID=BPQ 446.100 MHz  ; Displayed by PORTS command

             TYPE=ASYNC          ; Port is RS232 Com

             PROTOCOL=KISS             ; TNC is used in KISS mode

             FULLDUP=0           ; Only meaningful for KISS devices

             IOADDR=1            ; 1 = SERIAL PORT COM1 ETC.

             SPEED=19200         ; RS232 COM PORT SPEED

             CHANNEL=B           ; Address if multichannel TNC

             PERSIST=64          ; PERSIST=256/(# of transmitters-1)

             SLOTTIME=100        ; CMSA interval timer in milliseconds

             TXDELAY=180         ; Transmit keyup delay in milliseconds

             TXTAIL=0            ; TX key down, in milliseconds, at packet end

             QUALITY=192         ; Quality factor applied to node broadcasts heard on

                                 ; this port, unless overridden by a locked route

                                 ; entry. Setting to 0 stops node broadcasts

             MINQUAL=191         ; Entries in the nodes table with qualities greater or

                                 ; equal to MINQUAL will be sent on this port. A value;

                                 ; of 0 sends everything.

             MAXFRAME=3          ; Max outstanding frames (1 thru 7)

             FRACK=2000          ; Level 2 timout in milliseconds

             RESPTIME=1000             ; Level 2 delayed ack timer in milliseconds

             RETRIES=5           ; Level 2 maximum retry value

             PACLEN=250          ; Default max packet length for this port

             UNPROTO=Node        ; BTEXT broadcast addrs format: DEST[,digi1[,digi2]]

             BCALL=N9PMO-2              ; BTEXT call. unstated defaults to BBSCALL/APPL1CALL

             L3ONLY=1            ; 1=No user downlink connects on this port

             DIGIFLAG=1          ; Digipeat: 0=OFF, 1=ALL, 255=UI Only

             DIGIPORT=0          ; Port on which to send digi'd frames (0 = same port)

             USERS=0             ; Maximum number of L2 sessions, 0 = no limit

            ENDPORT

            Mike Melnik N9PMO

            Web Site: www.n9pmo.com

            Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list.  I scored one last

            weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and

            I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

            Bill - WA7NWP

            > I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode… It took some finagling to get it

            > to work the correct port… May have similar issue with BPQ32…

            <*> Your email settings:

                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:

                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:

                mailto:BPQ32-digest@yahoogroups.com

                mailto:BPQ32-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jerry - N9LYA
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
              Bill... I will do some research and experimentation...
              I do know the difference in the KAMXL does NOT Apply to the KAM KAM PLUS
              KAM98 or KPC9612...

              I just have simply forgotten what I did to get it to work.. I will work on a
              print out of the KAMXL's Display function and post it along with my MSYS
              Settings...

              In case they apply to BPQ32... I am sure it would as best I remember the
              parameter I had to play with was one set in THE TNC...

              73 jerry

              Please share any Kam-xl tidbits here on the list. I scored one last
              weekend at the big Western -WA swapfest of the year in Puyallup and
              I'm looking forward to getting it on the air.

              Bill - WA7NWP

              > I use a KAMXL with MSYS also in KISS mode. It took some finagling to get
              it
              > to work the correct port. May have similar issue with BPQ32.

            • ke7xo
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 13, 2009
                this probably isn't what you're after, as I use bpq w/agw...

                but for what it's worth, here is the ports portion for my XL...

                Richard

                PORT
                PORTNUM=2
                ID= 144.39
                TYPE=EXTERNAL
                DLLNAME=BPQtoAGW.DLL
                IOADDR=2EEA
                CHANNEL=B
                QUALITY=0
                MINQUAL=0
                MAXFRAME=4
                FRACK=5000
                RESPTIME=1000
                RETRIES=10
                PACLEN=236
                UNPROTO=BPQ32
                L3ONLY=1
                DIGIFLAG=0
                DIGIPORT=0
                USERS=0
                ENDPORT

                PORT
                PORTNUM=3
                ID= 10.149.3
                TYPE=EXTERNAL
                DLLNAME=BPQtoAGW.DLL
                IOADDR=2EEA
                CHANNEL=C
                QUALITY=0
                MINQUAL=0
                MAXFRAME=2
                FRACK=5000
                RESPTIME=1000
                RETRIES=10
                PACLEN=126
                UNPROTO=BPQ32,GATE,WIDE2-1
                L3ONLY=1
                DIGIFLAG=0
                DIGIPORT=0
                USERS=0
                ENDPORT

              • rickh6155@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 18 , May 3
                  Mike, I have been helping AB0AF-Dave in Hemet, CA for the past few weeks setting up his
                  KAM XL, and, although a bit dated, everything he set up is identical to your recommendation
                  with the exception of IOADDR changed to COMPORT.  His issue is that whenever his XL
                  transmits simultaneously, as in beaconing, his HF side locks up, won't decode or transmit
                  anything.  The VHF side appears to be unaffected.  He has followed your recommendations
                  regarding abaud rate speed of 19,200 (I think he actually uses 38,400), FULLDUP set to ON
                  prior to placing the XL into KISS mode, etc.  He notes that if he leaves his HF radio off, such
                  as when 20 meters is dead at night, the XL appears to function normally.  It's only when his
                  HF rig is on.  He's checked RF issues, ferrite beads, changed to a different radio than he
                  normally uses for HF, plus a whole host of other stuff he's tried.  Prior to running BPQ, his
                  XL was set up in the usual fashion as a KA-Node on VHF and HF ports, functioning perfectly.
                  It's only when he runs BPQ that this issue crops up.

                  Any other pointers or recommendations you can think of?

                  We're desperate!

                  73 - Rick
                  KE0GB

                • Don Poaps
                  Message 8 of 18 , May 3
                    Rick

                    Tomorrow I'll be putting on my kam xl. Is it possible to still RUN Ka node and still run BPQ.

                    LATER

                    Don

                    --
                    Don Poaps
                    New Westminster, BC

                    Winlink: va7qu@...
                    Subject://wl2k

                  • rickh6155@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 3
                      Good deal, Don.  I got an update from Dave who reminded me that this is more a 'port specific' issue,
                      than a band (HF vs VHF) issue.  If he swaps the port assignment, the lockup happens on his VHF
                      side.  Also, by lockup, he reminded me that it still receives on that port, just doesn't transmit.

                      He's trying some experiments with jumpering the Watchdog Timer.

                      KE0GB - Rick

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 3
                        Rick KE0GB

                        First I assume you created 2 Ports for the KAM Plus, both either 19200 or
                        38400
                        First Port config Channel A
                        Second Port Config Channel B

                        Shut down all BPQ32 Programs or use the Sysop command STOPPORT n and any
                        other program like AGWPE on the same port.

                        Take the TNC out of KISS Mode.

                        I/OADDR= or COMPORT= will work, remember you are using only one COM port
                        It is the Channel A, B etc. that the TNC will communicate with BPQ, in Don's
                        case
                        He is only using the VHF port last time I talked with him.

                        For HF in the bpq32.cfg port
                        TXD=40
                        TXTAIL=10
                        PACL=80 (No Higher)
                        FRACK=8000
                        RESPTIME=1500
                        MAXFRAME=2 (No Higher)

                        I would limit the amount of nodes you send on HF, Sysops don't like large
                        broadcasts
                        You can limit the HF port or any port by setting the MINQUAL= the same as
                        QUALITY=
                        You will send your Node & Sub calls plus neighboring node calls (very few) I
                        usually
                        Set the MINQUAL=one above the QUALITY= For RF you will send 1 neighboring
                        node call along with your node call and sub call (application calls)

                        Using a terminal for the TNC check the AB if you entered 38400 manually it
                        should reply the same, (It Must Match what you have set in BPQ32 Port config
                        (Both Ports)
                        Confirm you have taken the TNC out of Full duplex both ports, AB should read
                        something like 38400,N,8,1
                        Disable Full Duplex on both ports this will cause problem as there is not
                        TXD or TXTAIL or Hang, packets will collide.

                        Enter CD SOFT (open squelch on VHF Port)
                        Enter INT KISS
                        Enter RESET

                        At this point the terminal should not be able to talk to the TNC, close the
                        terminal program.

                        Check the above setting in BPQ32.CFG make sure to change to FULLDUP=0
                        SPEED=38400 or what you have chosen, Kantronics will tell you to use the
                        fastest BAUD rate your computer & program can handle.

                        Save File, start programs as usual, if you have further problems let me
                        know, feel free to email me direct.

                        Be patient, I usually don't read my emails until night, I am just too busy
                        in the shop.

                        Hope this solves the problems.

                        73

                        Mike Melnik-N9PMO
                        BPQ32 Yahoo Group moderator

                        Message 11 of 18 , May 4
                          Finally VA7DGP  is now back on RF. The Kam XL is beaconing through BPQ32 Beacon setup. I'm able to log in using OutpostPM via my soundcard from TS2000. I don't know why my TNC-X quit it was a very good tnc but I'm a helping camper now.

                          Locally the KA-Node use these SSID va7dgp-8 and 497dgp as an alias. I know how to do it.
                          Would I need to add

                          BTEXT    va7dgp-8
                          myalias 497dgp
                          BEACON   EVERY 20 (disabled)/EVERY 0 (disabled)

                          Or just let the BPQ Beacon do it's thing

                          This is what I have in Beacon setup

                          VA7DGP   BURNABY/NEW WESTMINISTER BBS
                          VA7DGP-10 WINLINK GATEWAY
                          va7dgp-11 chat

                          497DGP

                          73

                          Don Poaps
                          New Westminster, BC
                          VA7DGP DATA
                          VA7QU   VOICE

                          Winlink: va7qu@...

                          Message 12 of 18 , May 5
                            Mike:  First, this part of the  thread is regarding the KAM xl running in dual-port mode, that Dave-AB0AF
                            has been having issues with on getting it to stay operational on Port 2, whether it's configured for HF or
                            VHF, it still locks out the transmit side of that port only while leaving Port 1 unaffected.  From what he's told me, whenever the KAM XL seems to transmit simultaneously on both ports, such as when broadcasting a beacon, is when it happens, and can only be cleared up by turning the KAM XL off and back on.

                            I myself at my station here, have been using a KAM+ in HF-only with great success by disabling the VHF
                            port using the MAXUSERS command set to 1/0.  This was by recommendation from Kantronics, and the KAM+ has served me well now for the better part of a year.

                            Dave, and apparently others who have subsequently informed me after reading this portion fo the thread,
                            has had this issue with his KAM xl that prevents him from dual-port use.

                            I've just been trying to help Dave-AB0AF get introduced to BPQ and run his KAM xl in dual-port mode
                            with some measure of success, short of just resetting it my turning it off and back on.   He has followed
                            all the guidelines presented here in the group to the "Tee", as well as other recommendations read else-
                            where, and, unfortunately, I have no KAM XL here to run a side-by-side test of what he's experiencing.

                            We appreciate all your input and understand thoroughly that you are extremely busy and will accept any
                            reccommendation regardless how much time it takes.

                            Thanks, my friend and 73!

                            Rick - KE0GB
                          • la7um
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 8
                              Hi, Some sideways info: I run a KAM-XL setup as two port 1200B in a RMS Packet pretending to be KPC4.
                              This works excellent. 2 ports.

                              MARK 1250 and Space 2150.
                              HBAUD 1200/1200
                              This is a kompromise between the common 1200/2200 and KPC9612+s 1300/2100.

                              KAM+ and KPC 4 use a command CD Software/Software for being able running open squelch.
                              KAM XL needs CD Internal/Internal for doing the same.

                              If you don't the tnc will not xmit with an open squelch

                              XMITOK ON or CONOK ON I believe is also necessarry on some of those boxes.

                              You may of those Kantronics  need setting INTFACE TERM before being able making any advance setting.
                              This for getting those boxes out of Newuser mode.  Don't remember if that NEW USER mode exists in KAM XL though.

                              I Have set MAXUSERS 10/10
                              Users 10/10

                              The box is running on another site, so I cant check for actual settings.
                              Rock solid. Needs fresh battery.
                              Good luck.
                              LA7UM Finn / LA3F-10
                            • Don Poaps

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 8
                                  Yes Don.
                                  But many, including RMS Packet Software, does not know that KAM-XL can run 2 1200B VHF/UHF ports simultanuously in one instance of RMS Packet. Just pretend being the legacy KPC4 after manually fixing some parameters.
                                  If choosing KAM-XL as TNC it shows up as a ONE port TNC for for 1200B packet.
                                  You need manually adjust some default parameters, and then name the box KPC4. (In RMS Packet)
                                  Works like a charm.

                                  This trick is not possible using a KAMe or KAM+, since their HF-port filters does not exceed 300B, they really has only one possible 1200B port.
                                  No such limitation with the versatile KAM-XL.

                                  The box probably could even be adjusted to 9600B on the HF port.
                                  Just rename the box as KPC9612+ in RMS Packet after manual parameter settings.
                                  This I have not tried myself, so not knowing the quality for links or details for that purpose.

                                  Finn LA7UM

                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 9
                                    Don, and Rick, who I first intended my posting for... if checking the subject text.

                                    KAM-XL in TERMINAL mode has Port 1 being HF (Can be changed to 1200B), and Port 2 VHF 1200B.

                                    Different than any older Kantronics the terminal command CD  in KAM XL must be set to INTERNAL/INTERNAL for making the box willing to XMIT using an open squelch.   This is different than before when CD had to be SOFTWARE/SOFTWARE for making it willing to XMIT with an open squelch.

                                    MAXUSER 10/10
                                    USER 10/10
                                    CONOK ON/ON

                                    When entering  HOST MODE as in a typical standalone RMS Packet, the VHF port is switched and numbered PORT 1, and the HF port is numbered PORT 2 ( also if running it with changed speed and mark/space/shift modem parameters and named as KPC4).

                                    This switching of Port numberings also go for using the box in KISS or XKISS Mode.

                                    Standard VHF 1200B Port is always considered PORT 1 except when being in Terminal mode.

                                    Hope this may help

                                    73 de LA7UM Finn / LA3F(-10)