Application via a digi...

  • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2009
      I'm having fun getting BPQ32 set up and running. It's going to be the
      idea front end to the "dosn'ess" of JNOS.

      Anyhow, right now I'm a little stuck trying to set up a hard coded
      connection to a mailbox that goes via a digi. I think this goes in
      the APPLICATIONS line. The question is how to deal with the spaces..
      Maybe put it in quotes?

      APPLICATIONS=RED,VICTOR/C victor via k7idx

      RED is the local (Redmond) JNOS BBS.
      Victor is the mailbox I want to connect to via the K7IDX digipeater.

      Am I close?

      Thanks,
      Bill - WA7NWP
    • Ron Stordahl
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12, 2009
        Bill

        While from BPQTerminal you can type a command such as:

        C victor via k7idx

        This same command in the applications string is not properly parsed.

        John G8BPQ will have to take a look at this, as I am sure he will.

        Ron, N5IN

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 12, 2009
          Bill,

          The total length of a command and it's alias is 16 bytes. This isn't intended as a general connect command, but as a way of connecting to applications on another BPQ32 system (or others running NETROM). The aliased connect should normally be to an entry in the NODES list, although you can get away with a direct L2 connect if the Appl name is short enough.

          Incidentally "C victor via k7idx" is illegal, anyway. A L2 connect needs a port number, so even from a node session you would enter C 1 victor v k7idx. assuming you are connecting on bpq port 1

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2009
            Thanks for the info...

            > The total length of a command and it's alias is 16 bytes. This isn't
            > intended as a general connect command, but as a way of connecting to
            > applications on another BPQ32 system (or others running NETROM).

            Ok. It's a little less feature rich then the Linux "node" program
            which has something like 5 options for the aliases.. Keeping it
            clean and simple isn't a bad thing -- specially with somebody like me
            that usually ends up adding more features then really needed.

            > The aliased
            > connect should normally be to an entry in the NODES list, although you can
            > get away with a direct L2 connect if the Appl name is short enough.

            > Incidentally "C victor via k7idx" is illegal, anyway. A L2 connect needs a
            > port number, so even from a node session you would enter C 1 victor v k7idx.
            > assuming you are connecting on bpq port 1

            So the applications string is comma separated?

            applications =RED/C ? REDBBS,VICTOR/C 1 victor v k7idx

            Ideally I'd like BPQ32 to handle the NETROM functionality so I don't
            have to compile NETROM into JNOS and save a few K of memory. Hard to
            believe, in this era of gigabytes, we're still using a DOS program
            that is totally limited to 640 K. (Fixing that is another project on
            the endless list....) So if I need to connect to JNOS (REDBBS) from
            BPQ and it's a locally connected APPLICATION without NETWORK - will
            this work?

            The VICTOR/C VICTOR command missing the port number explains why I'm
            seeing "no open xzy for port "victor".

            Bill