Using the BPQ32 IP Gateway (Windows 2000 and above only)

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009

      BPQ32 includes an IP Gateway Option, which can give applicaiions wiritten to use IP over ax.25 (such as MSYS) access to the Internet.

      The BPQ32 IP Gateway operates as a mac level bridge, with headers converted between ax.25 and Ethernet. ARP frames are also reformatted, and monitored to build a simple routing table. Some Applications may not use ARP (eg MSYS is configured with an ax.25 default route, rather than an IP one), so the default route must be configured. The software is intended as a gateway for legacy apps, rather than a full function ip over ax.25 router. Suggested config is to use your Internet Ethernet Adapter, which will normally be behind a NAT/PAT Router. The ax.25 applications will appear as single addresses on the Ethernet LAN

      The Gateway uses the Winpcap library to access the Ethernet Card - you need to install it (www.winpcap.org) before configuring the Gateway.

      You need to allocate an IP address for the Gateway, and you will need your Network's Gateway and Broadcast addresses.

      The following is an extract from my IPGateway,cfg

      # Adapter to use (Get the address by running BPQAdapters.exe)

      Adapter \Device\NPF_{B632857E-8342-4595-9D08-70ACDAC772D3}

      # IP address of the BPQ32 switch on your LAN

      IPAddr 192.168.0.129

      # The broadcast Address for your LAN

      IPBroadcast 192.168.0.255

      # Default IP route. Normally your Internet Router.

      IPGateway 192.168.0.1

      #BPQ Ports to be used for links to IP systems. List of ports, separated by commas

      IPPorts 1,2,4,5,6

      The software also includes a Port Mapping facility which enables applications which only allow IP addresses to use Host Names. This operates independently from the Ip over ax.25 gateway, so can be used with Ethernet as well as ax.25 IP applictions. See the document  "Using BPQ IPGATEWAY To Replace Port Mappers" in the Files Section of this group.

      73,
      John G8BPQ

    • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
        On 2/27/09, Bill Vodall WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
        > Ah the memories of getting BPQ running way back in the 20th century...

        My project to get JNOS running with a BPQ32 front end has been fairly
        successful. I've learned a couple tricks and run into a couple
        issues.

        First the basic setup. I'm using XP-Pro on a concast connection.
        JNOS is version 2C4 set up to be essentially a local BBS. BPQ32 is
        to be the networking front end. The goal is to offload as much of
        the networking functionality from JNOS to BPQ32 since JNOS is
        essentially still a DOS application and is restricted to the basic
        640K system memory on windows.

        BPQ32 currently has 3 ports. 1 to a KISS TNC. #2 to AXIP which will
        be turned on RSN (real soon now) and #3 is a loopback port.

        What works...

        JNOS can talk out the BPQ32 port on RF.. Likewise, a station on the
        local K-Node can connect directly to JNOS.

        JNOS can talk to BPQ32 - thanks to the loopback port.

        BPQ32 has a L2 command that takes it to the local node.

        What doesn't work...

        Essentially I'm stymied on the BPQ32 to JNOS path. JNOS is using a
        callsign of RED with a BBS alias of REDBBS. I try to configure JNOS
        as the first application and about all I get is the all PORTS are busy
        error.

        I can configure BPQ32 to do a level 2 connect to the JNOS BBS. This
        leaves me with no BPQ applications which the BPQ32 setup is not happy
        with.

        Is it essential to have Netrom running on JNOS? Ideally I'd like
        that to all be handled by BPQ32.

        All hints or suggestions appreciated. It would be nice to finish up
        the month with this running.

        73 and tnx!
        Bill - WA7NWP
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
          I don't see why BPQ should be unhappy about not having an application, but if you want BPQ32 to accept a connect (L2 or L4) and pass it on to JNOS. then you would probably use an application alias eg

          APPLICATIONS=NOS/C 3 RED

          You don't have to have netrom enabled in JNOS, but I found that an L2 connect to JNOS doesnt give a BBS prompt - you need to send another message (maybe just CR). It looks as if JNOS doen't know whether the L2 session is for NETROM. the BBS or IP over AX25 until it gets the first data packet. With a NETROM connect, you get straight into the mailbox.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
            > I don't see why BPQ should be unhappy about not having an application,

            I tried with none of the 1..9 applications set and then BPQ still
            wanted the old BBSCALL and BBSALIAS (may not be correct names) set.

            > but if you want BPQ32 to accept a connect (L2 or L4) and pass it on to
            > JNOS. then you would probably use an application alias eg
            >
            > APPLICATIONS=NOS/C 3 RED

            I'll try that again. I think I was confusing the setup by using the
            same name in JNOS (NOS above) as well as in BPQ32.

            > You don't have to have netrom enabled in JNOS, but I found that an L2
            > connect to JNOS doesnt give a BBS prompt - you need to send another
            > message (maybe just CR). It looks as if JNOS doen't know whether the L2
            > session is for NETROM. the BBS or IP over AX25 until it gets the first
            > data packet. With a NETROM connect, you get straight into the mailbox.

            This is an long time issue. The 'mbox jumpstart on' option is one
            workaround. It may also be happy with the Mbox alias instead of the
            system call.

            > John

            Bill
          • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 10 7:35 PM
              > If you want to route IP traffic to the internet you can use the BPQ32 IP
              > Gateway. IP traffic to other ax.25 stations can be
              > sent directly to the relevant radio port, or via the IP Gateway.

              BPQ32 progress continues at a steady pace. I have netrom over AXUDP
              connectivity to a couple stations now and it was fun indeed to go node
              hopping down memory lane.

              Now the ipgateway functionality is calling me. Do I understand it
              right -- that I'd run IP on AX25 from NOS to the BPQ32 ipgateway when
              the IP is re-routed to the real (so to speak) local Ethernet? Does
              the BPQ32 ipgateway have a unique IP address from the NOS box or do
              both need IP addresses on the local lan?

              Does this have something to do with the ampr.org virtual net or is it
              just pure local IP?

              In the old days I'd have spent hours trying it out by now...
              Sometimes we get smart. Sometimes...

              73
              Bill - WA7NWP