Running JNOS with BPQ32.

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
      Some versions of NOS include an option to use DOS BPQCODE to interface to radio ports. My testing was with JNOS 1.10x10.

      You can use these versions with BPQ32 as follows:

      Get the bpq1632 files from the RelatedFiles section of the distibutioh. Put bpq1632.dll in your system folder, and bpq1632.exe in your jnos folder. Copy bpqcfg.bin to your jnos folder (this is only used to get the Host Interrupt).

      Look at the attached autoexec.nos, the relevant lines are:

      attach bpq init 0x7f 60

      attach bpq 1 bpq1

      attach bpq 2 bpq2

      The first line initilizes the bpq interface, the params are the HostInterrupt (almost always 127, expressed here in hex (0x7f)) and the bpq stream to use. I've used 60 - most bpq32 programs allocate streams dynamically from 1 up, so that should avoid a clash.

      You can have an attach port line for each ax25 port on the bpq32 system. This give NOS access to the radio. If you want to access the BPQ32 node itself (eg to access bpq32 applications, the IP Gateway, or NETROM), define a loopback port in bpq32. My loopback port is port 2, so I've attached netrom and my defualt IP route to this port:

      netrom interface bpq2 200

      route add default bpq2 192.168.0.1

      One you are happy with your autoexec.nos:

      From a DOS prompt, go to your jnos folder and run:

      bpq1632

      jnos ./autoexec.nos

      You should be able to connect to the bpq32 node by entering c bpq2 nodealias, or to stations via radio port 1 using c bpq1 callsign.

      If you want to route IP traffic to the internet you can use the BPQ32 IP Gateway (instructions to follow). IP traffic to other ax.25 stations can be sent directly to the relevant radio port, or via the IP Gateway.

      73,
      John G8BPQ

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009

        BPQ32 includes an IP Gateway Option, which can give applicaiions wiritten to use IP over ax.25 (such as MSYS) access to the Internet.

        The BPQ32 IP Gateway operates as a mac level bridge, with headers converted between ax.25 and Ethernet. ARP frames are also reformatted, and monitored to build a simple routing table. Some Applications may not use ARP (eg MSYS is configured with an ax.25 default route, rather than an IP one), so the default route must be configured. The software is intended as a gateway for legacy apps, rather than a full function ip over ax.25 router. Suggested config is to use your Internet Ethernet Adapter, which will normally be behind a NAT/PAT Router. The ax.25 applications will appear as single addresses on the Ethernet LAN

        The Gateway uses the Winpcap library to access the Ethernet Card - you need to install it (www.winpcap.org) before configuring the Gateway.

        You need to allocate an IP address for the Gateway, and you will need your Network's Gateway and Broadcast addresses.

        The following is an extract from my IPGateway,cfg

        # Adapter to use (Get the address by running BPQAdapters.exe)

        Adapter \Device\NPF_{B632857E-8342-4595-9D08-70ACDAC772D3}

        # IP address of the BPQ32 switch on your LAN

        IPAddr 192.168.0.129

        # The broadcast Address for your LAN

        IPBroadcast 192.168.0.255

        # Default IP route. Normally your Internet Router.

        IPGateway 192.168.0.1

        #BPQ Ports to be used for links to IP systems. List of ports, separated by commas

        IPPorts 1,2,4,5,6

        The software also includes a Port Mapping facility which enables applications which only allow IP addresses to use Host Names. This operates independently from the Ip over ax.25 gateway, so can be used with Ethernet as well as ax.25 IP applictions. See the document  "Using BPQ IPGATEWAY To Replace Port Mappers" in the Files Section of this group.

        73,
        John G8BPQ

      • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
          On 2/27/09, Bill Vodall WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
          > Ah the memories of getting BPQ running way back in the 20th century...

          My project to get JNOS running with a BPQ32 front end has been fairly
          successful. I've learned a couple tricks and run into a couple
          issues.

          First the basic setup. I'm using XP-Pro on a concast connection.
          JNOS is version 2C4 set up to be essentially a local BBS. BPQ32 is
          to be the networking front end. The goal is to offload as much of
          the networking functionality from JNOS to BPQ32 since JNOS is
          essentially still a DOS application and is restricted to the basic
          640K system memory on windows.

          BPQ32 currently has 3 ports. 1 to a KISS TNC. #2 to AXIP which will
          be turned on RSN (real soon now) and #3 is a loopback port.

          What works...

          JNOS can talk out the BPQ32 port on RF.. Likewise, a station on the
          local K-Node can connect directly to JNOS.

          JNOS can talk to BPQ32 - thanks to the loopback port.

          BPQ32 has a L2 command that takes it to the local node.

          What doesn't work...

          Essentially I'm stymied on the BPQ32 to JNOS path. JNOS is using a
          callsign of RED with a BBS alias of REDBBS. I try to configure JNOS
          as the first application and about all I get is the all PORTS are busy
          error.

          I can configure BPQ32 to do a level 2 connect to the JNOS BBS. This
          leaves me with no BPQ applications which the BPQ32 setup is not happy
          with.

          Is it essential to have Netrom running on JNOS? Ideally I'd like
          that to all be handled by BPQ32.

          All hints or suggestions appreciated. It would be nice to finish up
          the month with this running.

          73 and tnx!
          Bill - WA7NWP
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
            I don't see why BPQ should be unhappy about not having an application, but if you want BPQ32 to accept a connect (L2 or L4) and pass it on to JNOS. then you would probably use an application alias eg

            APPLICATIONS=NOS/C 3 RED

            You don't have to have netrom enabled in JNOS, but I found that an L2 connect to JNOS doesnt give a BBS prompt - you need to send another message (maybe just CR). It looks as if JNOS doen't know whether the L2 session is for NETROM. the BBS or IP over AX25 until it gets the first data packet. With a NETROM connect, you get straight into the mailbox.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
              > I don't see why BPQ should be unhappy about not having an application,

              I tried with none of the 1..9 applications set and then BPQ still
              wanted the old BBSCALL and BBSALIAS (may not be correct names) set.

              > but if you want BPQ32 to accept a connect (L2 or L4) and pass it on to
              > JNOS. then you would probably use an application alias eg
              >
              > APPLICATIONS=NOS/C 3 RED

              I'll try that again. I think I was confusing the setup by using the
              same name in JNOS (NOS above) as well as in BPQ32.

              > You don't have to have netrom enabled in JNOS, but I found that an L2
              > connect to JNOS doesnt give a BBS prompt - you need to send another
              > message (maybe just CR). It looks as if JNOS doen't know whether the L2
              > session is for NETROM. the BBS or IP over AX25 until it gets the first
              > data packet. With a NETROM connect, you get straight into the mailbox.

              This is an long time issue. The 'mbox jumpstart on' option is one
              workaround. It may also be happy with the Mbox alias instead of the
              system call.

              > John

              Bill
            • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
                > If you want to route IP traffic to the internet you can use the BPQ32 IP
                > Gateway. IP traffic to other ax.25 stations can be
                > sent directly to the relevant radio port, or via the IP Gateway.

                BPQ32 progress continues at a steady pace. I have netrom over AXUDP
                connectivity to a couple stations now and it was fun indeed to go node
                hopping down memory lane.

                Now the ipgateway functionality is calling me. Do I understand it
                right -- that I'd run IP on AX25 from NOS to the BPQ32 ipgateway when
                the IP is re-routed to the real (so to speak) local Ethernet? Does
                the BPQ32 ipgateway have a unique IP address from the NOS box or do
                both need IP addresses on the local lan?

                Does this have something to do with the ampr.org virtual net or is it
                just pure local IP?

                In the old days I'd have spent hours trying it out by now...
                Sometimes we get smart. Sometimes...

                73
                Bill - WA7NWP