It's been a long time - now JNOS

  • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 27, 2009
      Ah the memories of getting BPQ running way back in the 20th century...
      It's very neat that it's still around and better then ever. The
      basic install a couple days ago was painless and it looks like BQP32
      will be the gateway to some cool new packet opportunities..

      Speaking of these 'opportunities', I have some early questions.

      My first and most important issue is -- can JNOS interface with the
      current BPQ32 switch? I want to use JNOS as the main application and
      if BPQ32 provides a hook to the packet stations it'll work out the
      best.

      I know I could use AXUDP but I'm trying to avoid the hassle of hooking
      up JNOS (on Windows) to the local Windows (XP-Pro) IP stack.

      BPQ32 has add on modules to provide a virtual TNC com port. Does
      that virtual TNC provide 'kiss' data? If so - and if there's some
      packet pass through from the raw ports that may be just what I need.
      JNOS could just attach the virtual com port and I'm in business.

      If the virtual port looks like ASCI TNC data -- has anybody tried it
      with APRSDOS? Unfortunately APRSDOS doesn't (yet) support KISS.

      How about using the REMSERIAL widget? It would probably be possible
      to run JNOS on the linux box in the other room and connect to the
      BPQ32 virtual com port with REMSERIAL:

      http://www.k1lnx.net/wiki/index.php?title=APRS
      http://mckeehan.homeip.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=PacketRadioRemoteSerial

      Finally (coffee is waiting) -- is there any example simple scripted
      interface to BQP32. Say for example that I could monitor the flow of
      packets BQP32 hears and when my neighbor Jerry shows up direct -- then
      I could generate an APRS packet of the free space on my drive C: and
      send it out as a UI packet.

      Thanks mucho...

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 27, 2009
        Hi Bill. The is a kiss driver for my virtual com driver - you define a port with type=external and dll=bpqvcomm.dll. I'm away from home for a couple of days, but i'll send you example configs when I get home. I can't remember if i've tried it with jnos, but it works with MSYS and to a Linux system running under AndLinux.

        There isn't a 'simple' scripting interface, but it is relatively simple to interface to bpq32 from Visual Basic .

        73,
        John G8BPQ

        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 27, 2009

          Bill …. I’m not a JNOS “expert” – not even close, but I used to set up JNOS “Gateways” to link old AK1A PacketCluster system,  This was made possible by running an AK1A PacketCluster on top of G8BPQ and then connecting them to the JNOS box with a Null Modem Cable.

          JNOS had support for G8BPQ built into its code.  The version I used at the time 9which I’m sure is quite ancient by now) was:

          JNOS version 1.11x7 (80386)

          by Johan. K. Reinalda, WG7J/PA3DIS

          and James P. Dugal, N5KNX

          Copyright 1991 by Phil Karn (KA9Q) and contributors.

          It could make level 4 BPQ links over the Internet where there were a combination of PC-based G8BPQ, and TNC-based Net/ROM, and The><Net Node.

          Of course there have been many changes to G8BPQ’s Code, and to JNOS as well doubt.

          73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 27, 2009
            Thanks Dave. If jnos has an interface to bpq (presumably dos bpqcode) it should be possible to interface to bpq32 via bpq1632. I'll investigate!

            73,
            John G8BPQ

            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 27, 2009
              Jnos 2.0 even runs under Windows.

              http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2/

              Haven't tried it for quite a while but perhaps Jim WU3V will chime in
              as I think he worked with the VE4.

              --
              Jay WS7I
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 28, 2009
                Just for a laugh I dug out an old archive, found a jnos.exe version 1.10x10 dated 1993, changed a couple of ip addresses from my old autoexec.nos, ran bpq1632 then jnos, I found I could do an ax.25 connect to my node, and a telnet connect to an Internet DX-Cluster, via my IP over ax.25 gateway. I've forgotten too much about nos to get much further, but if anyone is interested I'll send you my startup files.

                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 28, 2009

                  Hi John…Could u send them to me.. I would like to review…. 73 jerry

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009
                    Some versions of NOS include an option to use DOS BPQCODE to interface to radio ports. My testing was with JNOS 1.10x10.

                    You can use these versions with BPQ32 as follows:

                    Get the bpq1632 files from the RelatedFiles section of the distibutioh. Put bpq1632.dll in your system folder, and bpq1632.exe in your jnos folder. Copy bpqcfg.bin to your jnos folder (this is only used to get the Host Interrupt).

                    Look at the attached autoexec.nos, the relevant lines are:

                    attach bpq init 0x7f 60

                    attach bpq 1 bpq1

                    attach bpq 2 bpq2

                    The first line initilizes the bpq interface, the params are the HostInterrupt (almost always 127, expressed here in hex (0x7f)) and the bpq stream to use. I've used 60 - most bpq32 programs allocate streams dynamically from 1 up, so that should avoid a clash.

                    You can have an attach port line for each ax25 port on the bpq32 system. This give NOS access to the radio. If you want to access the BPQ32 node itself (eg to access bpq32 applications, the IP Gateway, or NETROM), define a loopback port in bpq32. My loopback port is port 2, so I've attached netrom and my defualt IP route to this port:

                    netrom interface bpq2 200

                    route add default bpq2 192.168.0.1

                    One you are happy with your autoexec.nos:

                    From a DOS prompt, go to your jnos folder and run:

                    bpq1632

                    jnos ./autoexec.nos

                    You should be able to connect to the bpq32 node by entering c bpq2 nodealias, or to stations via radio port 1 using c bpq1 callsign.

                    If you want to route IP traffic to the internet you can use the BPQ32 IP Gateway (instructions to follow). IP traffic to other ax.25 stations can be sent directly to the relevant radio port, or via the IP Gateway.

                    73,
                    John G8BPQ

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 1, 2009

                      BPQ32 includes an IP Gateway Option, which can give applicaiions wiritten to use IP over ax.25 (such as MSYS) access to the Internet.

                      The BPQ32 IP Gateway operates as a mac level bridge, with headers converted between ax.25 and Ethernet. ARP frames are also reformatted, and monitored to build a simple routing table. Some Applications may not use ARP (eg MSYS is configured with an ax.25 default route, rather than an IP one), so the default route must be configured. The software is intended as a gateway for legacy apps, rather than a full function ip over ax.25 router. Suggested config is to use your Internet Ethernet Adapter, which will normally be behind a NAT/PAT Router. The ax.25 applications will appear as single addresses on the Ethernet LAN

                      The Gateway uses the Winpcap library to access the Ethernet Card - you need to install it (www.winpcap.org) before configuring the Gateway.

                      You need to allocate an IP address for the Gateway, and you will need your Network's Gateway and Broadcast addresses.

                      The following is an extract from my IPGateway,cfg

                      # Adapter to use (Get the address by running BPQAdapters.exe)

                      Adapter \Device\NPF_{B632857E-8342-4595-9D08-70ACDAC772D3}

                      # IP address of the BPQ32 switch on your LAN

                      IPAddr 192.168.0.129

                      # The broadcast Address for your LAN

                      IPBroadcast 192.168.0.255

                      # Default IP route. Normally your Internet Router.

                      IPGateway 192.168.0.1

                      #BPQ Ports to be used for links to IP systems. List of ports, separated by commas

                      IPPorts 1,2,4,5,6

                      The software also includes a Port Mapping facility which enables applications which only allow IP addresses to use Host Names. This operates independently from the Ip over ax.25 gateway, so can be used with Ethernet as well as ax.25 IP applictions. See the document  "Using BPQ IPGATEWAY To Replace Port Mappers" in the Files Section of this group.

                      73,
                      John G8BPQ

                    • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
                        On 2/27/09, Bill Vodall WA7NWP <wa7nwp@...> wrote:
                        > Ah the memories of getting BPQ running way back in the 20th century...

                        My project to get JNOS running with a BPQ32 front end has been fairly
                        successful. I've learned a couple tricks and run into a couple
                        issues.

                        First the basic setup. I'm using XP-Pro on a concast connection.
                        JNOS is version 2C4 set up to be essentially a local BBS. BPQ32 is
                        to be the networking front end. The goal is to offload as much of
                        the networking functionality from JNOS to BPQ32 since JNOS is
                        essentially still a DOS application and is restricted to the basic
                        640K system memory on windows.

                        BPQ32 currently has 3 ports. 1 to a KISS TNC. #2 to AXIP which will
                        be turned on RSN (real soon now) and #3 is a loopback port.

                        What works...

                        JNOS can talk out the BPQ32 port on RF.. Likewise, a station on the
                        local K-Node can connect directly to JNOS.

                        JNOS can talk to BPQ32 - thanks to the loopback port.

                        BPQ32 has a L2 command that takes it to the local node.

                        What doesn't work...

                        Essentially I'm stymied on the BPQ32 to JNOS path. JNOS is using a
                        callsign of RED with a BBS alias of REDBBS. I try to configure JNOS
                        as the first application and about all I get is the all PORTS are busy
                        error.

                        I can configure BPQ32 to do a level 2 connect to the JNOS BBS. This
                        leaves me with no BPQ applications which the BPQ32 setup is not happy
                        with.

                        Is it essential to have Netrom running on JNOS? Ideally I'd like
                        that to all be handled by BPQ32.

                        All hints or suggestions appreciated. It would be nice to finish up
                        the month with this running.

                        73 and tnx!
                        Bill - WA7NWP
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
                          I don't see why BPQ should be unhappy about not having an application, but if you want BPQ32 to accept a connect (L2 or L4) and pass it on to JNOS. then you would probably use an application alias eg

                          APPLICATIONS=NOS/C 3 RED

                          You don't have to have netrom enabled in JNOS, but I found that an L2 connect to JNOS doesnt give a BBS prompt - you need to send another message (maybe just CR). It looks as if JNOS doen't know whether the L2 session is for NETROM. the BBS or IP over AX25 until it gets the first data packet. With a NETROM connect, you get straight into the mailbox.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 31, 2009
                            > I don't see why BPQ should be unhappy about not having an application,

                            I tried with none of the 1..9 applications set and then BPQ still
                            wanted the old BBSCALL and BBSALIAS (may not be correct names) set.

                            > but if you want BPQ32 to accept a connect (L2 or L4) and pass it on to
                            > JNOS. then you would probably use an application alias eg
                            >
                            > APPLICATIONS=NOS/C 3 RED

                            I'll try that again. I think I was confusing the setup by using the
                            same name in JNOS (NOS above) as well as in BPQ32.

                            > You don't have to have netrom enabled in JNOS, but I found that an L2
                            > connect to JNOS doesnt give a BBS prompt - you need to send another
                            > message (maybe just CR). It looks as if JNOS doen't know whether the L2
                            > session is for NETROM. the BBS or IP over AX25 until it gets the first
                            > data packet. With a NETROM connect, you get straight into the mailbox.

                            This is an long time issue. The 'mbox jumpstart on' option is one
                            workaround. It may also be happy with the Mbox alias instead of the
                            system call.

                            > John

                            Bill
                          • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 10, 2009
                              > If you want to route IP traffic to the internet you can use the BPQ32 IP
                              > Gateway. IP traffic to other ax.25 stations can be
                              > sent directly to the relevant radio port, or via the IP Gateway.

                              BPQ32 progress continues at a steady pace. I have netrom over AXUDP
                              connectivity to a couple stations now and it was fun indeed to go node
                              hopping down memory lane.

                              Now the ipgateway functionality is calling me. Do I understand it
                              right -- that I'd run IP on AX25 from NOS to the BPQ32 ipgateway when
                              the IP is re-routed to the real (so to speak) local Ethernet? Does
                              the BPQ32 ipgateway have a unique IP address from the NOS box or do
                              both need IP addresses on the local lan?

                              Does this have something to do with the ampr.org virtual net or is it
                              just pure local IP?

                              In the old days I'd have spent hours trying it out by now...
                              Sometimes we get smart. Sometimes...

                              73
                              Bill - WA7NWP