Re: [BPQ32] Re: BPQ32 Wish List

  • Mark Harloff
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 8, 2009
      John,

      I think a separate logging application would be
      the best way to go. I don't run BPQTerminal here
      very often so having a separate app would be
      handy. It would also allow for remote checking
      in the case of running a client like LogMeIn,
      etc. without having to fire up the terminal app.

      - Mark K2CAN

      John Wiseman wrote:

      > Ok, Jeff.
      >
      > Either Date/TIme or hours since last heard would be similar effort. I'm
      > not sure which I'd prefer. Does anyone else have a view?
      >
      > Logging is fairly new, so may only be in the latest version.
      >
      > BPQTerminal can monitor by port. If you wnat monitoring to track down a
      > particular problem, then there is probably enough. If you want to log
      > everything all the time in case you have a problem you would need better
      > file management. I'd be inclined to go for a separate logging
      > application, rather than making it part of BPQTerminal, but again I'm
      > interested in other user's views.

    • Mark Harloff
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 8, 2009
        I agree with Jeff in regards to MH date/time
        stamping.

        - Mark K2CAN

        Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO wrote:

        > Maybe others can chip in on whether or not the effort would be worth
        > it, but a date stamp on MH would be nice. Actually I think having it
        > show hours/minutes since last heard (like the old TheNet stuff) would
        > be better IMHO.
        >
        > Is the BPQTerminal logging new to the Feb 2009 version? I'm running
        > BPQTerminal v2.0.4.1 and don't see any logging options under it?
        >
        > If BPQTerminal can log by stream/port, then my wish list item #3 would
        > not be needed. I was just thinking that if the logs are broken out
        > seperately then it makes hunting down events and troubleshooting a bit
        > easier.
        >
        > 73
        > Jeff
        > WA4ZKO
        >
        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>, "John
        > Wiseman" <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Jeff,
        > >
        > > Comments or suggestions are always welcome!
        > >
        > > There isn't a command option fo showing dates on the MH. It would be
        > > easy enough to add.
        > >
        > > There is already an option to log either monitor or output traffic in
        > > BPQTerminal. (Action/Log Monitor or Log Output). However it was really
        > > only intended for occasional use - the options are not saved over a
        > > restart, and the output file is named by stream, not by date. If there
        > > is sufficient interest, it could be changed.
        > >
        > > I'm not sure why you would want to log axip separately from the
        > > BPQTerminal monitor. Perhaps you could clarify?
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > John G8BPQ

      • Ron Stordahl
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 8, 2009
          I have always liked the time since last heard as used in TheNetX1J4 as well.  Format "days:hours:minutes:seconds"

          Ron, N5IN

          Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO wrote:

          > Maybe others can chip in on whether or not the effort would be worth
          > it, but a date stamp on MH would be nice. Actually I think having it
          > show hours/minutes since last heard (like the old TheNet stuff) would
          > be better IMHO.
          >
          > Is the BPQTerminal logging new to the Feb 2009 version? I'm running
          > BPQTerminal v2.0.4.1 and don't see any logging options under it?
          >
          > If BPQTerminal can log by stream/port, then my wish list item #3 would
          > not be needed. I was just thinking that if the logs are broken out
          > seperately then it makes hunting down events and troubleshooting a bit
          > easier.
          >
          > 73
          > Jeff
          > WA4ZKO
          >
          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com <mailto:BPQ32% 40yahoogroups. com>, "John
          > Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Jeff,
          > >
          > > Comments or suggestions are always welcome!
          > >
          > > There isn't a command option fo showing dates on the MH. It would be
          > > easy enough to add.
          > >
          > > There is already an option to log either monitor or output traffic in
          > > BPQTerminal. (Action/Log Monitor or Log Output). However it was really
          > > only intended for occasional use - the options are not saved over a
          > > restart, and the output file is named by stream, not by date. If there
          > > is sufficient interest, it could be changed.
          > >
          > > I'm not sure why you would want to log axip separately from the
          > > BPQTerminal monitor. Perhaps you could clarify?
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > John G8BPQ

        • Jerry - N9LYA
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 8, 2009

            Hi John…

            I would say hours since..

            Just because we do not know for sure if the particular stations clock is set correctly…

            Just my .01C Could not afford to give my 2 cents… lol

            Best 73 jerry n9lya

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009
              Time since last heard seems to be the consensus, so I'll include it in the next version.

              Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO wrote:

              > Maybe others can chip in on whether or not the effort would be worth
              > it, but a date stamp on MH would be nice. Actually I think having it
              > show hours/minutes since last heard (like the old TheNet stuff) would
              > be better IMHO.
              >
              > Is the BPQTerminal logging new to the Feb 2009 version? I'm running
              > BPQTerminal v2.0.4.1 and don't see any logging options under it?
              >
              > If BPQTerminal can log by stream/port, then my wish list item #3 would
              > not be needed. I was just thinking that if the logs are broken out
              > seperately then it makes hunting down events and troubleshooting a bit
              > easier.
              >
              > 73
              > Jeff
              > WA4ZKO
              >
              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com <mailto:BPQ32% 40yahoogroups. com>, "John
              > Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Jeff,
              > >
              > > Comments or suggestions are always welcome!
              > >
              > > There isn't a command option fo showing dates on the MH. It would be
              > > easy enough to add.
              > >
              > > There is already an option to log either monitor or output traffic in
              > > BPQTerminal. (Action/Log Monitor or Log Output). However it was really
              > > only intended for occasional use - the options are not saved over a
              > > restart, and the output file is named by stream, not by date. If there
              > > is sufficient interest, it could be changed.
              > >
              > > I'm not sure why you would want to log axip separately from the
              > > BPQTerminal monitor. Perhaps you could clarify?
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > John G8BPQ

            • Jerry - N9LYA
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 9, 2009

                HI John… Wanted to mention all is well with new version… My KAM works correctly again.. Not sure how it was affected… But it seems all better… Been working right for about a day now.. Jerry