Re: [BPQ32] BPQ stand alone eprom?

  • James Wagner
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
      --- On Sat, 2/7/09, Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...> wrote:

      > From: Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO <wa4zko@...>
      > Subject: [BPQ32] BPQ stand alone eprom?
      > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
      > Date: Saturday, February 7, 2009, 4:02 PM
      > Is there an option to run a simple BPQ node stand alone?
      > Say sort of
      > like TheNet as an EPROM in a TNC2 compatible TNC?
      > Doesn't have to have
      > all the features of BPQ32, just the core switch stuff.
      >

      > Thanks & 73
      > Jeff
      > WA4ZKo

      Yes - It is called "DataEngine".

      Jim, KA7EHK
    • Ron Stordahl N5IN
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

        > Is there an option to run a simple BPQ node stand alone? Say sort of
        > like TheNet as an EPROM in a TNC2 compatible TNC? Doesn't have to have
        > all the features of BPQ32, just the core switch stuff.
        >

        > Thanks & 73
        > Jeff
        > WA4ZKo

        Jeff

        In the files section you will find DE_407A and DE_409D. These are
        implementations of BPQ for the Kantronics DataEngine. The typical
        application would be for a remote site where you do not want to
        support a typical Windows computer. They are able to support both
        9600 and 1200 baud modems in the same box making it ideal for a 9600
        radio backbone combined with local 1200 baud access.

        But Kantronics no longer sells these. You would have to find used
        ones, which could be difficult.

        The DE_407A/DE_409D code is not compatible with the more common TNC2
        devices.

        Ron, N5IN
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
          Jeff,

          TheNet provides the same core ax.25 switching as BPQ - both are NETROM compatilble systems.

          As mentioned by others, there is a version of the DOS (16bit) BPQCODE for the Kantronics Data Engine. This will drive the two internal modems, which were available for 1200/9600/19200, and also one or more NETROM/TheNet TNCs connected to the DE serial port, so multiport nodes can but built. The only snag is the DE no longer made.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
            There is Thenet-X1J for TNC2 clones.

            Mark - PY3SS

            On 8 Feb 2009 at 9:04, John Wiseman wrote:

            > Jeff,
            >
            > TheNet provides the same core ax.25 switching as BPQ - both are NETROM compatilble
            > systems.
            >
            > As mentioned by others, there is a version of the DOS (16bit) BPQCODE for the Kantronics Data
            > Engine. This will drive the two internal modems, which were available for 1200/9600/19200, and
            > also one or moreNETROM/TheNet TNCs connected to the DE serial port, so multiportnodes can
            > but built. The only snag is the DE no longer made.

          • Mark Harloff
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
              I have the all the latest X1J4 files including
              the prom image binary.
              If anyone needs a copy, please contact me off
              the group.
              k2can (at) frontiernet.net

              - Mark K2CAN