BPQ stand alone eprom?

  • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
      Is there an option to run a simple BPQ node stand alone? Say sort of
      like TheNet as an EPROM in a TNC2 compatible TNC? Doesn't have to have
      all the features of BPQ32, just the core switch stuff.

      Thanks & 73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKo
    • James Wagner
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
        > Is there an option to run a simple BPQ node stand alone?
        > Say sort of
        > like TheNet as an EPROM in a TNC2 compatible TNC?
        > Doesn't have to have
        > all the features of BPQ32, just the core switch stuff.
        >

        > Thanks & 73
        > Jeff
        > WA4ZKo

        Yes - It is called "DataEngine".

        Jim, KA7EHK
      • Ron Stordahl N5IN
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2009
          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

          > Is there an option to run a simple BPQ node stand alone? Say sort of
          > like TheNet as an EPROM in a TNC2 compatible TNC? Doesn't have to have
          > all the features of BPQ32, just the core switch stuff.
          >

          > Thanks & 73
          > Jeff
          > WA4ZKo

          Jeff

          In the files section you will find DE_407A and DE_409D. These are
          implementations of BPQ for the Kantronics DataEngine. The typical
          application would be for a remote site where you do not want to
          support a typical Windows computer. They are able to support both
          9600 and 1200 baud modems in the same box making it ideal for a 9600
          radio backbone combined with local 1200 baud access.

          But Kantronics no longer sells these. You would have to find used
          ones, which could be difficult.

          The DE_407A/DE_409D code is not compatible with the more common TNC2
          devices.

          Ron, N5IN
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
            Jeff,

            TheNet provides the same core ax.25 switching as BPQ - both are NETROM compatilble systems.

            As mentioned by others, there is a version of the DOS (16bit) BPQCODE for the Kantronics Data Engine. This will drive the two internal modems, which were available for 1200/9600/19200, and also one or more NETROM/TheNet TNCs connected to the DE serial port, so multiport nodes can but built. The only snag is the DE no longer made.

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
              There is Thenet-X1J for TNC2 clones.

              Mark - PY3SS

              On 8 Feb 2009 at 9:04, John Wiseman wrote:

              > Jeff,
              >
              > TheNet provides the same core ax.25 switching as BPQ - both are NETROM compatilble
              > systems.
              >
              > As mentioned by others, there is a version of the DOS (16bit) BPQCODE for the Kantronics Data
              > Engine. This will drive the two internal modems, which were available for 1200/9600/19200, and
              > also one or moreNETROM/TheNet TNCs connected to the DE serial port, so multiportnodes can
              > but built. The only snag is the DE no longer made.

            • Mark Harloff
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2009
                I have the all the latest X1J4 files including
                the prom image binary.
                If anyone needs a copy, please contact me off
                the group.
                k2can (at) frontiernet.net

                - Mark K2CAN