BPQ32 & RMS Tip

  • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5 5:15 AM
      A tip for those running RMS Packet on top of BPQ32 with non-RF ports.
      Here is a tip if you would like to clean up the 0.000 MHz "crud"
      entries on the RMS Packet Status page here:

      http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/status/PacketStatus.aspx

      From within RMS Packet's "Packet Channels" page:

      1. Note the following settings from your RF port page, probably port one:
      a. Port Frequency
      b. On-Air Baud Rate
      c. Power
      d. antenna direction
      e. Max Streams
      f. Packet Length
      g. Antenna Gain
      h. Antenna Height above ground

      2. Enable all the ports (example AX/IP, L4 Network connections) as you
      go through updating the above info into each port.

      3. Do the usual update button stuff, close and restart.

      4. After awhile the crud entries should fade away.

      I found this after experimenting around trying to get around this
      cosmetic annoyance. Figured I'd get multiple entries for each
      freq/call, but was pleasantly surprised when it suddenly cleaned my
      status page entries up. I haven't tested what happens if you just
      enable each port in RMS and don't change the info on the non-rf ports.

      Best I can tell, no harm done by this.

      73
      Jeff
      WA4ZKO
    • Ron Stordahl N5IN
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 7 1:01 PM
        I did as Jeff suggested and it did clear up the 0.000 MHz listings at
        http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/status/PacketStatus.aspx

        Then I used the feature to define remote ports configuration:

        File>Packet Channels...>Define Report Ports. I did this because my
        RMS application really does not have any radio ports, to get to it by
        radio you use N5IN-14 which is on an adjacent machine on the LAN,
        which does have radio ports.

        At the above website you can find N5IN-5 as well as N5IN-14. The only
        thing missing is the entry for N5IN-14 fails to include the RMS
        software revision number 2.0.0.1.

        I am assuming this is a problem with the RMS software, not BPQ32.

        Ron, N5IN

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO" <wa4zko@...> wrote:

        > A tip for those running RMS Packet on top of BPQ32 with non-RF ports.
        > Here is a tip if you would like to clean up the 0.000 MHz "crud"
        > entries on the RMS Packet Status page here:
        >
        > http://www.winlink.org/dotnet/status/PacketStatus.aspx
        >
        > From within RMS Packet's "Packet Channels" page:
        >
        > 1. Note the following settings from your RF port page, probably port
        one:
        > a. Port Frequency
        > b. On-Air Baud Rate
        > c. Power
        > d. antenna direction
        > e. Max Streams
        > f. Packet Length
        > g. Antenna Gain
        > h. Antenna Height above ground
        >
        > 2. Enable all the ports (example AX/IP, L4 Network connections) as you
        > go through updating the above info into each port.
        >
        > 3. Do the usual update button stuff, close and restart.
        >
        > 4. After awhile the crud entries should fade away.
        >
        > I found this after experimenting around trying to get around this
        > cosmetic annoyance. Figured I'd get multiple entries for each
        > freq/call, but was pleasantly surprised when it suddenly cleaned my
        > status page entries up. I haven't tested what happens if you just
        > enable each port in RMS and don't change the info on the non-rf ports.
        >
        > Best I can tell, no harm done by this.
        >
        > 73
        > Jeff
        > WA4ZKO

      • Jeff Thomas
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8 1:27 PM
          Never thought of that approach, good idea! Could be handy for many folks.

          73
          Jeff
          WA4ZKO