Re: [BPQ32] FWIW - 9600 Baud TNC Options

  • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008
      > In short, Kantronics isn't the only game in town....maybe just the
      > broadest availability. You don't have to spend $360-400+ to get on
      > 9600 baud with new gear. Obviously used gear can be found for a lot less.
      >
      > Of course a good radio is needed for 9600 baud. As I've found out,
      > many that say they're 9600 ready....doesn't mean they perform worth a
      > darn at 9600 ;-)

      If you want to "do 9600 packet data on the air" - the off the shelf
      solution is the Kenwood D710. UHF or VHF, frequency agile and a built
      in KISS 1200 or 9600 baud TNC. Even better - it's a good radio to
      start with.

      Yes it's more $$$ up front and if you have a service monitor and time
      you can do it for cheaper. But as I said at the start, if your goal
      is to do packet and not mess with settings, wires and modifications -
      the D710 is the way to go.

      73
      Bill - WA7NWP
    • Dave Zeph
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008

        MFJ is not out of the TNC business.  The 2009 MFJ Catalog shows a new “MFJ-1270D.”  It is apparently a major redesign since the box is much smaller than its predessor.

        The Catalog says that it is “fully TAPR TNC-2 compatible”, but there is no mention of Baud Rates or Modems.

        And the price of the MFJ-1270D has gone up to $199.95 List.

        73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008
          That's great, depending on whom you ask, grin. Must be enough demand
          for packet gear again to get them back into the market...that's a good
          indicator.

          Just saw where R&L is listing them at $184, again no mention of
          speeds. I'm assuming they're just resurrecting the 1270C in a new
          design. Probably just 1200 baud, but hey options and competition is a
          good thing.

          WA4ZKO

          --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeph" <zephd@...> wrote:

          > MFJ is not out of the TNC business. The 2009 MFJ Catalog shows a new
          > "MFJ-1270D." It is apparently a major redesign since the box is much
          > smaller than its predessor.
          >

          > The Catalog says that it is "fully TAPR TNC-2 compatible", but there
          is no
          > mention of Baud Rates or Modems.
          >

          > And the price of the MFJ-1270D has gone up to $199.95 List.
          >

          > 73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX
          >

          > _____

          Of Jeff

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008

            There is always the option of AGWPE Sound Card 9600BAUD

            Mike Melnik N9PMO

> [...]

            > In short, Kantronics isn't the only game in town....maybe just the
            > broadest availability. You don't have to spend $360-400+ to get on
            > 9600 baud with new gear. Obviously used gear can be found for a lot
            less.

            > Of course a good radio is needed for 9600 baud. As I've found out,
            > many that say they're 9600 ready....doesn' t mean they perform worth a
            > darn at 9600 ;-)
            >
            > 73
            > Jeff
            > WA4ZKO
            >
            > Support Ham Radio in Kentucky, get involved, get on the air!
            > http://groups. <
            > yahoo.com/group/ kyaprs/ KY APRS - (KY only)
            > http://groups. <
            > yahoo.com/group/ kypacket/ KY Packet Group.
            > http://groups. <
            > yahoo.com/group/ 425echo/ 444.425+ EchoLink Group.
            yahoo.com/group/ nkdxe/
            > NKDXE KY area VHF/UHF DX'ers.

          • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008
              Bill,

              Is the Kenwood 710 a good performer at 9.6k (BERR and so forth)? If I
              remember the 700 had a good radio for 9.6k, but horrid TNC
              implementation that made 9.6k hinky at best (buffering issues).

              Yeah, at $539 (R&L Electronics) it's a chunk of change. You're right,
              it's a good deal for an off the shelf, plug n play rig and TNC. If you
              don't have a good radio already....arguably very cost effective for a
              home/end user setup.

              Maybe we could con MFJ into producing a portable deviation meter for
              us? One that covered 2m, 220, and 440 would be a great start. AEA used
              to make one. This topic is probably one of the key barriers to getting
              more folks on 9600 baud.

              Be nice if ARRL would revisit their 9600 baud rig lab testing with
              some of the new rigs. I've been having good luck with the Yaesu
              FT-7800's on UHF. Alinco DR-435's were horrible at 9600, guess you get
              what you pay for. I hear the Yaesu 8800 and 8900's are good 9600 rigs
              too, but often way overkill.

              Would like to find a good 9600 ready (and performing) rig for 220 MHz
              though. I've got some DR-235's, but haven't had time to try them. If
              the DR-435's are any indicator...I'd be wasting my time, grin.

              73
              WA4ZKO

              --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Vodall WA7NWP" <wa7nwp@...> wrote:

              > > In short, Kantronics isn't the only game in town....maybe just the
              > > broadest availability. You don't have to spend $360-400+ to get on
              > > 9600 baud with new gear. Obviously used gear can be found for a
              lot less.

              > > Of course a good radio is needed for 9600 baud. As I've found out,
              > > many that say they're 9600 ready....doesn't mean they perform worth a
              > > darn at 9600 ;-)
              >
              > If you want to "do 9600 packet data on the air" - the off the shelf
              > solution is the Kenwood D710. UHF or VHF, frequency agile and a built
              > in KISS 1200 or 9600 baud TNC. Even better - it's a good radio to
              > start with.
              >
              > Yes it's more $$$ up front and if you have a service monitor and time
              > you can do it for cheaper. But as I said at the start, if your goal
              > is to do packet and not mess with settings, wires and modifications -
              > the D710 is the way to go.
              >
              > 73
              > Bill - WA7NWP

            • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008
                > Is the Kenwood 710 a good performer at 9.6k (BERR and so forth)? If I
                > remember the 700 had a good radio for 9.6k, but horrid TNC
                > implementation that made 9.6k hinky at best (buffering issues).

                We don't have a large number of example cases but I think there are at
                least two gentlemen that have been very happy using the D710 to
                transfer large files (500K, etc.) using the wl2k protocols. I just
                asked about using it for TCP on AX25 on the NOS-BBS list -- I haven't
                heard anything. (It's a dead art... :-( )

                Exactly right on the D700. Great radio but lame implementation of the
                TNC. Kenwood heard our feedback and they said they were going to fix
                it in the D710. I haven't heard from anybody that they didn't.

                > Yeah, at $539 (R&L Electronics) it's a chunk of change. You're right,
                > it's a good deal for an off the shelf, plug n play rig and TNC. If you
                > don't have a good radio already....arguably very cost effective for a
                > home/end user setup.

                Add a cheap TNC-X with some sort of mini node or gateway widget and
                the D710 would make a dual band station for only minimally more. Yet
                another project ...

                > Maybe we could con MFJ into producing a portable deviation meter for
                > us? One that covered 2m, 220, and 440 would be a great start. AEA used
                > to make one. This topic is probably one of the key barriers to getting
                > more folks on 9600 baud.

                It is indeed. Which gives me the idea it might be time to put on the
                TAPR hat and see what it would take to get a 9600 baud tuning widget.
                Everybody I know, my self included, that's dealt with 9600 has the
                same issues with tuning the transmitter. Now that there are more 9600
                ready radios -- some of which even work -- this could be very useful.
                MFJ had a deviation meter -- I wonder if it worked for 9k6 data?

                > Be nice if ARRL would revisit their 9600 baud rig lab testing with
                > some of the new rigs. I've been having good luck with the Yaesu
                > FT-7800's on UHF. Alinco DR-435's were horrible at 9600, guess you get
                > what you pay for. I hear the Yaesu 8800 and 8900's are good 9600 rigs
                > too, but often way overkill.
                >
                > Would like to find a good 9600 ready (and performing) rig for 220 MHz
                > though. I've got some DR-235's, but haven't had time to try them. If
                > the DR-435's are any indicator...I'd be wasting my time, grin.

                We have several APRS stations here using DR-235's for 9600 baud. I
                believe they've all gone to the Open Tracker replacement TNC after
                having trouble with the original TNC. I think the radios get an
                "adequate" rating.

                > WA4ZKO

                73
                Bill - WA7NWP
              • Jeff Thomas - WA4ZKO
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008
                  Guess the next question, being that I'm burning BPQ list
                  bandwidth...is how's the KISS on the 710's internal TNC? Anyone
                  strapped BPQ32 to a 710 yet? If KISS is good on it, $500 or so makes
                  a nice "off the shelf" package for the end user to instantly have
                  1200/9600 capabilities on 2m and 440..cool when you think about it.

                  A TAPR dev meter kit would be awesome. I bet more than one list
                  watcher's eyes has opened wide at the mention of it!

                  MFJ has a 2m deviation meter available. It's 2m only and real pain
                  (touchy) to use.

                  I just tossed a note to a friend that used to work at the ARRL HQ to
                  see if she knows who to contact in the ARRL lab nowadays. I'm thinking
                  a fresh round of 9600 baud lab tests against the newer rigs would
                  provide many of use with some useful data. Not to mention, maybe put
                  some pressure on the manufactures that a good 9.6k rig involves a bit
                  more than just bringing the connections out to a jack, grin.

                  Agree on the dying art of TCP over AX25. Think a lot of it is everyone
                  is too worried about doing a full TCP setup on RF and all the traffic
                  rule concerns that kick in the moment you attach too much to the
                  internet. The death of FlexNet development didn't help either. Net44
                  never really caught on either. Of course another way of looking at it
                  is with "bandaid" solutions of DDNS, telnet access, and WinLink for
                  moving email...pretty much handles things while keeping the doors
                  locked good against unwanted/illegal traffic on RF.

                  I think some of the Michigan gang is doing a lot with TCP and the
                  44net, but I think they've hit some limits and concerns too.

                  To me, I think the best 1st move for now is to get out of the doing
                  everything on 2m 1200 baud mentality.

                  The good news is that apparently packet is anything but dead!

                  Guess I better let the list get back to BPQ32 content, grin.

                • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008
                    > Guess the next question, being that I'm burning BPQ list
                    > bandwidth...is how's the KISS on the 710's internal TNC? Anyone
                    > strapped BPQ32 to a 710 yet? If KISS is good on it, $500 or so makes
                    > a nice "off the shelf" package for the end user to instantly have
                    > 1200/9600 capabilities on 2m and 440..cool when you think about it.

                    Very cool.. Now we have the radio but too much of the activity has
                    disappeared..

                    Here's the best data test of the D710 I'm aware of:

                    http://theronans.com/j0n/?p=259

                    > A TAPR dev meter kit would be awesome. I bet more than one list
                    > watcher's eyes has opened wide at the mention of it!

                    I will mention it.

                    > I just tossed a note to a friend that used to work at the ARRL HQ to
                    > see if she knows who to contact in the ARRL lab nowadays. I'm thinking
                    > a fresh round of 9600 baud lab tests against the newer rigs would
                    > provide many of use with some useful data. Not to mention, maybe put
                    > some pressure on the manufactures that a good 9.6k rig involves a bit
                    > more than just bringing the connections out to a jack, grin.

                    I would love to see the test lab actually run packet data through the
                    rigs... Maybe a 1000 pings. Maybe a 500 K data file using Airmail.
                    A real test with real data.

                    > Agree on the dying art of TCP over AX25. Think a lot of it is everyone
                    > is too worried about doing a full TCP setup on RF and all the traffic
                    > rule concerns that kick in the moment you attach too much to the
                    > internet.

                    The content issue often comes up but for many of us it was a non
                    issue. I wish there'd been enough activity that it would have become
                    a problem but it never was. The Michigan network is about the last on
                    the air that I know of. I did personally set up my LInux box and
                    helped another so we generated and ack'ed a couple pings via a 1200
                    baud digi in 2008. The digi is solar powered at that -- for about a
                    100 mile round trip... Minimal but still cool.

                    Is there any life at all on the ampr.net anymore? The gateways
                    mailing list was hosted on cows.net and that domain is currently for
                    sale?

                    > To me, I think the best 1st move for now is to get out of the doing
                    > everything on 2m 1200 baud mentality.

                    Now is the time. We have many options and equipment like never before.

                    A significant portion of the APRS activity in the Seattle region is
                    now on 9600 thanks mainly to the Kenwoods.. That's a start.

                    > The good news is that apparently packet is anything but dead!
                    >
                    > Guess I better let the list get back to BPQ32 content, grin.

                    BPQ32 may be one of the key players. I think it's going to be the
                    glue that ties our networks (packet -RF and IP) to the applications
                    (airmail, JNOS, FBB, APRSDOS? :-) )

                    > 73
                    > Jeff

                    Bill
                  • Jim WU3V AAM8AMT
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 26, 2008
                      Dave, merry Christmas

                      Jim WU3V now im Montana

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 28, 2008

                        http://quagliana.com/willow/WillowSabins.zip
                        This soundcard software may help if your setting up a 9.6k station and need to monitor the audio.
                        It has the eye pattern display..ect. Its for receiving 9.6k signals only, no tx.
                        73
                        mike kb5wbh

                      • Mike Nettles
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 28, 2008
                          That didn't look right, this software may help if your setting up a 9.6k station
                          and need to monitor the audio. It has the eye pattern display..ect.
                          Its for receiving 9.6k packet signals only, no tx.
                          73
                          mike kb5wbh

                        • Mike Reed
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 28, 2008
                            <snip>
                            PacComm - The Tiny-2 TNC has a 9600 baud option board available for
                            $125 (might work in the MFJ's too?). I think you would also need the
                            DCD board for it.....might as well buy yourself a PK96 or Spirit-2.

                            I have an 9600 upgrade board for PacComm but unable to find docs on it to
                            use it. Aswell as a Tiny-2 TNC.Suggestions?
                            73
                            Mike - N7ZEF
                          • bud Thompson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 29, 2008
                              Mike - see if you can find a part number or ID on that PacComm 9.6kb
                              daughter board. I may have some docs.

                              For general packet work the PK-96 is likely the best bang for the buck
                              if 9600b is wanted.

                              For $210-$220 you can have a dual-speed (though not at the same time)
                              unit and changing back/forth is not a major factor - only a command at
                              the ax.25 cmd: prompt.

                              I have several PK-96s at EOCs running on UHF 9.6kb user ports on local
                              packet network

                              (http://www.fadca.org/map/index.html (map is outdated!)

                              they are doing just fine though the distances are not DX by any means.
                              These PK-96s work with Yaesu FT8800s which do a reasonable job as
                              well. We can change from the 9.6kb user LAN to the 1200b user LAN in
                              just a few minutes if necessary.

                              I also have a few PK-96s on UHF 9.6kb backbones on the network. I
                              have a few PacCom Tiny2/9.6kb modems and some Spirits for 9.6kb -but
                              cost for a single PacComm unit for 9.6kb up is above $200. The
                              distances are up to 50 miles.

                              I use Kantronics PK-9612 (and 9612+) for the user LANs at my three
                              network switches. This allows 1200b (2m) and 9.6kb (UHF) user ports
                              with the same box and a single comport. This is not only
                              cost-effective but the 9612 is excellent on 9.6kb.

                              Radios on the network switches are either old Motorola Mitrek or GE
                              Rangr radios - the TNCs and radios all do a good job.

                              For the record - The Tiny2 DCD Board is used for 1200b, not 9.6kb.
                              9.6kb protocol is set up for unsquelched audio direct from the
                              discriminator. If you convert a Tiny2/DCD board to 9.6kb you end up
                              with a spare DCD board.

                              The MFJs that are true TNC2 clones have DCD state machine included so
                              run with open squelch on 1200b. The 9.6kb modem provided by Paccom
                              for the Tiny2 also works in the MFJs that are TNC2 clones. It may be
                              necessary to let PacComm know you are going to use the MFJs - there
                              might be some slight differences. If you have an old MFJ that works
                              swell, (and has no real dollar value) using the PacComm 9.6kb modem is
                              cost effective to get to 9.6kb. The MFJs work as good as the
                              Tiny2/9.6kb so far as I can tell.

                              * * *
                              The Florida Layered network uses Linux FPAC for the most part - some
                              DOS FPAC left in the south and a couple of ROSE switches are still in
                              the mix. The 9612s only work for the Linux-based switches.

                              bud N0IA
                              Deltona, FL