FBB sysop lockout

  • Klaus Rung
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 17, 2008
      This is the wrong group for this message but maybe someone with FBB experience can give me some quick help.

      I am the sysop of a remote fbb linux bbs and somehow have locked myself out of the bbs with the eu x command I suspect. Now when I log in I get kicked off the bbs right away. Is there a way to reinstate my sysop status so I can get back in again. I can log into the files remotely via ssh but cannot find the file to edit to reinstate my sysop status.

      Thanks in advance.

      Best regards,
      Klaus Rung, VE3KR
    • K.O. Higgs
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 17, 2008
        Klaus, I believe you will have to do this from the bbs keyboard. Simply
        uncheck
        the x.

        K.O. N0KFQ

        --

        K.O. Higgs
        n0kfq@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 17, 2008

          thanks for the reply.

          I am not sure I can do that from the keyboard as there is no guy on the operating system.

          The only way I know how to log into the bbs to issue the eu cmd is for me to telnet to the switch and then connect to the bbs but the bbs kicks me out again using my call. Using another call I cannot gain access to the sysop cmds.

          Best regards,
          Klaus Rung, VE3KR

          --

          K.O. Higgs
          n0kfq@centurytel. net

        • gervais
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 17, 2008
            Klaus
            install tightnvc in the bbs machine and use it in your machine to access the bbs pc.
            this way you will be at the keyboard of the bbs.
            i am doing it for many years here
            and works great

            73/s
            gervais ve2ckn

            --

            K.O. Higgs
            n0kfq@centurytel. net

          • Klaus Rung
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 18, 2008

              Thanks for the reply Jervais.

              I am not sure that will help as the key to being able to change the x cmd for my call is to being logged into the bbs with sysop status. What I am trying to do is circumvent having to be connected to the bbs with a callsign and still change the settings for my call to uncheck the x in eu.

              Maybe I am not understanding how your program works but I think what you are saying is if I am at the kbd then I can change it? You still have to connect to the bbs with a call do you not in order to use the cmd eu?

              Best regards,
              Klaus Rung, VE3KR

              --

              K.O. Higgs
              n0kfq@centurytel. net

            • gervais
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 18, 2008
                Bonsoir klaus,
                yes in part but i have made a mistake here,
                ON THE BBS MACHINE you must have install "Tightvnc server" and it must be running in SERVICES,are you running XP or win98 on your bbs??

                gervais
                ve2ckn

                --

                K.O. Higgs
                n0kfq@centurytel. net

              • Klaus Rung
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 18, 2008
                  Gervais, I am running Ubuntu server linux no gui. The problem is not accessing the pc but accessing the eu as sysop command in the bbs.

                  Best regards,
                  Klaus Rung, VE3KR

                  --

                  K.O. Higgs
                  n0kfq@centurytel. net

                • Peter Mallett
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 18, 2008
                    Klaus Rung wrote:
                    Gervais, I am running Ubuntu server linux no gui. The problem is not accessing the pc but accessing the eu as sysop command in the bbs.

                    Best regards,
                    Klaus Rung, VE3KR

                    Hi Klaus,

                                  Have you tired the following command ?

                    xfbbC -c -i ve3kr -w [your_password]

                    I assume you have put yourcall in fbb.conf to tell the BBS you are the owner ?

                    Regards ..... Peter

                  • gervais
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 18, 2008
                      hopppppppppp
                      i got it wrong
                      excuse me
                      hummm anyone of your user as the SYSOP privilege
                      in theory anyone who have these previleges could change your status

                      gervais

                      Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:04 PM

                      --

                      K.O. Higgs
                      n0kfq@centurytel. net

                    • Klaus Rung
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 19, 2008
                        Peter, that is it. I managed to get back in and fix my lockout. Thank you ever so much. This help was really appreciated.

                        This looks like a terminal mode that can be used to work the bbs like the old dos terminals.

                        Are there any other neat cmds I could use? Is there a help file that explains how to manipulate the bbs from ssh like the old dos terminal.

                        I am used to using the dos fbb that was using bpq  and a terminal window switch I think it was called.

                        Thanks again for helping me out of this fix.

                        Best regards,
                        Klaus Rung, VE3KR

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 19, 2008
                          No, that was the problem that nobody else had sysop status and I was the only one. I got a fix for it so thanks Gervais.

                          Best regards,
                          Klaus Rung, VE3KR

                          Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2008 10:04 PM

                          --