BPQ32_6.0.8.1_20140817 is available

  • Ron Stordahl
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 17, 2014

      John Wiseman, G8BPQ/GM8BPQ, has created a common code base for BPQ32 allowing both Windows (BPQ32) and Linux (LinBPQ) versions to be produced in a timely fashion.

      The updates are:

      BPQ32.dll Updated to Version 6.0.8.1. Changes Since 6.0.7.1
      BPQMail updated to Version 1.4.61.1 Changes since Version 1.4.60.1

      Support Program Changes.

      BPQAPRS updated to Version 1.1.8.1
      BPQTermTCP updated to Version 1.0.9.1

      BPQMail (a BBS system) and BPQChat (a Chat system) has replaced BPQMailChat.

      BPQ32 has a basic Web Interface option. This provides Browser access to some node status displays, and a simple Web Terminal for access to the Network. It can also act as Web Server for other BPQ32 Applications, such as BPQAPRS

      BPQAPRS is an APRS mapping and messaging application. BPQAPRS at its current state of development is a viable replacement for UIView32 for many users and in addition is under active development to add additional capability. The BPQ32 digipeater is "New n-N Paradigm " compliant and provides enough objects to fully support the Local Info Initiative. A configuration example is provided to quickly get you 'on the air'. The BPQAPRS program provides mapping, using the on-line OpenStreetMap, as well as reliable messaging, to the degree this is possible, with the existing infrastructure.

      As a reminder, you must have all of your node configuration in BPQ32.cfg.  If you are still using the old method please read message #10713 for further details.

      Microsoft has, since the introduction of Windows XP, recommended that an installation be split in to a "program files" part and an "application data" part. This was not enforced in Windows XP but it is being enforced in Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. Many programs have been installed in the root, such as C:\Ham Programs to get around this recommendation, but the result is annoying UAC popups...'do you really trust this program' etc. If you have used this workaround, you can, after installing this release, do an uninstall, which will preserve your configuration, and then repeat the install taking all the defaults. The result will be to divide your installation properly into %programfiles%\bpq32 and %appdata%\bpq32.

      Help will be available in the BPQ32 Users Group should you have questions.

      The changelog is here:
      http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/BPQ32%20Installation.htm#Changelog

      Thanks to John Wiseman G8BPQ/GM8BPQ for his tireless work enhancing BPQ32!

      73 de Ron Stordahl, AE5E

    • Dave Webb
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 17, 2014
        I ran into 2 problems doing this upgrade.
        1. AVAST did not like it. I had to disable it to 1 transfer it from my main computer to the BBS computer (XP). And 2 disable it again to actually do the upgrade. (It's interesting that Norton had no problem when I downloaded it to my Win 8.1 machine)
        2. My forwarding configuration reverted back to before I made some changes several weeks ago. I don't know if anything else changed in this move of the configuration from the registry to a file but time will tell
        73
        Dave
        AFA2HV/WB2HVF

[...]

      • mitchwinkle
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 17, 2014
          Where might we find 6.0.8.1 LinBPQ?  Is it linked on the linbpq Yahoo group?
        • bob_cunnings
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 17, 2014
            Use the links on the install page:http://www.cantab.net/users/john.wiseman/Documents/InstallingLINBPQ.htm

            Bob NW8L
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 18, 2014

              Dave,

              I’m pretty sure it is an Avast false positive, as other scanners seem happy with it.

              If you were running an early beta version it is possible the mail config file has changed. If you see any other problems wit lost config changes, please let me know.

              The current version will save a copy of the mail config file every time it is changed, so it is possible to go back to a known state if anything unexpected happens. Once I’m happy that the new system is foolproof I’l go back to keeping the last few revisions. In the meantime you are likely to send up with lots of files with names like BPQMail.cfg.yymmddhhmm.save in your BPQMailChat folder..

              73, John

              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 18, 2014
                John,
                Why on earth would you make it so plain? :D
                We Hams must make it difficult or it isn't worth doing! HA HA!
                Honestly, I never noticed that the numerals on that link never change.  I thought they were unique to each new release.
                Thanks,
                MItch