[piLINBPQ] Installing Software

  • James Wagner
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 8, 2014
      Folks -

      I don't have my RaspberryPi board yet and trying to think ahead.

      The first question that I confront is HOW to get the software ONTO the board (physically).

      One method that occurs to me is to download piLINBPQ to a desktop machine, establish a tcp/ip link into the RPi board (ethernet, probably),  then ftp the file to the desired directory location. Is this reasonable?

      I suppose that one could use a USB memory device and copy from that to the desired location, but that would still require a tcp/ip link and terminal (I think).

      Or, are there other, more direct or more simple methods?

      Thanks
      Jim KA7EHK
    • James Wagner
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 8, 2014
        Follow-up ...

        I didn't state it explicitly, but a few of you may be able to decode the fact that I am anticipating doing everything headless. I do NOT want to invest in a monitor - I threw one away a year ago because it was unused for more than 5 years and I have no space in my lab for one.

        So, I was expecting to do everything via telnet or ftp or such over the ethernet link from another computer (probably a Mac) via terminal.

        Please let me know if this is unrealistic or if it makes things much, much harder than it needs to be.

        Hope that clarifies some of my original post

        Thanks
        Jim

        On Friday, August 8, 2014 9:11 PM, "James Wagner ka7ehk@... [BPQ32]" <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Folks -

        I don't have my RaspberryPi board yet and trying to think ahead.

        The first question that I confront is HOW to get the software ONTO the board (physically).

        One method that occurs to me is to download piLINBPQ to a desktop machine, establish a tcp/ip link into the RPi board (ethernet, probably),  then ftp the file to the desired directory location. Is this reasonable?

        I suppose that one could use a USB memory device and copy from that to the desired location, but that would still require a tcp/ip link and terminal (I think).

        Or, are there other, more direct or more simple methods?

        Thanks
        Jim KA7EHK

      • Tadd Torborg
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2014
          I have found that it is easier to get the OS onto the PI using a monitor keyboard and mouse but after that I disconnect and run headless.  Friends of mine have used an HD TV temporarily to get past that part.

          After that use SSH or putty and make use of apt-get and wget

          I wrote instructions and some scripts to build a node

          Sent from my abacus

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 9, 2014

            Jim,

            You don’t need a monitor or keyboard provided you are using Ethernet – everything can be done using ssh. You just need to find what IP address has been assigned to the p. You can do that from you router, or by running wireshark to monitor the DHCP transaction.

            Once you have connected via ssh the simplest way to download software is to use wget – eg wget https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/31910649/pilinbpq . You can also use scp to copy files from the host to the pi.

            73, John

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 9, 2014
              Thanks, John -

              Maybe I can borrow the stuff long enough to get the OS up and running and LINPBQ installed.

              Appreciate your advice!

              Jim, KA7EHK