Re: Kantronics Host Mode Emulator for BPQ32

  • dshults
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
      Winlink Classic packet doesn't use Paclink.

      ... Duane N7QDN

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, K <kg5ks@...> wrote:

      > Paclink uses kiss mode, not host mode I believe.
      >
      > Thank you
      > 73
      > Kenny
      > KG5KS
      > DEC B AR
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Bill Vodall WA7NWP
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 2008
        On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 3:22 PM, John Wiseman <john.wiseman@...> wrote:
        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > I've written a program which allows programs designed to use a
        > Kantronics TNC in Host Mode to interface to BPQ32. So far it works
        > with Airmail and RMS Packet, but not Paclink. Is anyone interested in
        > assisting with testing?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > John G8BPQ

        This should really open up things with Airmail. It'll let us use
        multiple applications with one TNC - this is very cool!!!

        Bill - WA7NWP
      • Jerry - N9LYA
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 10, 2008

          Hi Kenny… It does use host mode only way to use a KISS TNC is to use AGWPE or AGWtoBPQ.EXE that is why it only works directly with certain TNCs

          Hows things  73 jerry

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 10, 2008
            Message
            Duane,

            Looks like an interesting challenge!

            But before I start, what would be the advantages of using DED mode?

            If there is any chance of talking with a Winlink Classic Packet
            window using the "WA8DED Host Mode" setting rather than "Command
            Mode", I'm game. Thanks for the slick enhancements in today's
            release.

            ... Duane N7QDN

            --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. com, "John Wiseman" <john.wiseman@ ...> wrote:

            > Hi Folks,
            >
            > I've written a program which allows programs designed to use a
            > Kantronics TNC in Host Mode to interface to BPQ32. So far it works
            > with Airmail and RMS Packet, but not Paclink. Is anyone interested in
            > assisting with testing?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > John G8BPQ

          • dshults
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 2008
              John,
              Using the Command Mode selection in Winlink Classic with local
              ethernet connections through BPQ (to SNOS) frequently has
              problems. Direct RF connections through BPQ work fine. It may
              have to do with the higher speed that Winlink wasn't designed
              for. Sessions sometimes end with errors because the RTS function
              does not appear to be working. Data just keeps on flowing when
              it should stop. I thought using the other mode may help.

              ... Duane N7QDN

              > Duane,
              >
              > Looks like an interesting challenge!
              >
              > But before I start, what would be the advantages of using DED mode?

              Behalf Of
              > dshults
              > Sent: 10 December 2008 00:47
              > To: BPQ32@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [BPQ32] Re: Kantronics Host Mode Emulator for BPQ32
              >

              > John,
              > If there is any chance of talking with a Winlink Classic Packet
              > window using the "WA8DED Host Mode" setting rather than "Command
              > Mode", I'm game. Thanks for the slick enhancements in today's
              > release.
              >
              > ... Duane N7QDN
              >
              > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups. <mailto:BPQ32%40yahoogroups.com>
              com, "John
              > Wiseman" <john.wiseman@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Folks,
              > >
              > > I've written a program which allows programs designed to use a
              > > Kantronics TNC in Host Mode to interface to BPQ32. So far it
              works
              > > with Airmail and RMS Packet, but not Paclink. Is anyone
              interested in
              > > assisting with testing?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > John G8BPQ

            • Howard Z.
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 10, 2008
                Thanks Mike,

                With your hints I got Paclink to work via AGWtoBPQ to BPQ.

                First, one must have AGWPE installed. Run it and configure a port.

                Second copy the AGWPE.INI and port0.ini files from AGWPE's folder to
                the BPQ folder.

                Third, copy the port0.ini to port1.ini, port2.ini etc. for the number
                of BPQ ports one has configured.

                Fourth, edit the port0.ini,port1.ini,port2.ini files to put something
                descriptive into it - like "BPQ AXIP port" or "BPQ TNC-X port" per
                your BPQ configuration.

                Fifth, copy AGWtoBPQ.EXE to be "AGW Packet Engine.exe", and leave both
                exe files in BPQ's folder.

                Now, run Paclink
                a. - In Paclink set the folder it expects AGWPE to be in to be the BPQ
                folder.
                b. - In Paclink configure the AGWPE channels
                c. - When you try to connect to an AGWPE channel, Paclink will
                automatically start the "AGW Packet Engine.exe" file which is really
                AGWtoBPQ.exe
                d. - Configure AGWtoBPQ.exe's MASK - "0x0" works ok.

                Howard
                N3ZH