Re: Compatability

  • dshults
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
      John has recently released a windows version of the original
      DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works with another
      utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to allow a BPQ32
      node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet ports.
      The archive is all documented and available in the file
      section for this group. Presently running at my station.

      I'm not sure about the other programs you mentioned.

      ... Duane N7QDN

      --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:

      > Hello:
      >
      > The following apps "see" the BPQ 409c switch and use it.
      > WFBB 7.00i
      > Winlink 29 Classic
      > Fastchat (packet chat node)
      > JNOS 1.11c
      >
      > Question:
      > Anyone know what of these will see/use BPQ32 switch?
      > and
      > What versions of FBB have to be installed to see BPQ32?
      >
      > Thanks, Bill
      >
      > (considering upgrading)

    • Bill West
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
        Thanks for the info.

        Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual COM
        port to work.
        Will the current version support the

        TNCPORT
        COM=8
        TYPE=TNC2
        APPLFLAGS=6
        ENDPORT

        type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
        Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0 recognizing it
        - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)

        Thanks, Bill

        --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

        > John has recently released a windows version of the
        > original
        > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works with
        > another
        > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to allow
        > a BPQ32
        > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet ports.
        > The archive is all documented and available in the
        > file
        > section for this group. Presently running at my
        > station.
        >
        > I'm not sure about the other programs you mentioned.
        >
        > ... Duane N7QDN
        >

        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West"
        > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello:
        > >
        > > The following apps "see" the BPQ 409c switch and
        > use it.
        > > WFBB 7.00i
        > > Winlink 29 Classic
        > > Fastchat (packet chat node)
        > > JNOS 1.11c
        > >
        > > Question:
        > > Anyone know what of these will see/use BPQ32
        > switch?
        > > and
        > > What versions of FBB have to be installed to see
        > BPQ32?
        > >
        > > Thanks, Bill
        > >
        > > (considering upgrading)
        > >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • dshults
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
          Bill,
          Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work fine.
          Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system folder.
          Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but they don't
          hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com: ports in
          windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec first,
          then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those ports used
          by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run 4 packet
          windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have things right,
          you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still grayed-out
          in the packet-configuration-port window.

        • Bill West
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
            Hello:

            Thanks for the reply.. I was hoping to upgrade from
            the 4.08 series to 4.09s version -- but it looks like
            4.09s is not backwards compatible with 4.08 series
            (which worked OK on Winlink Classic, JNOS, etc).

            Know if 4.09s is compatible with the above if running
            under Win XP? if not, I guess it will be best to go
            back and setup 4.08 series with FBB 16 bit, etc.

            Thanks, Bill

          • Eddy
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
              bpq32 409s is beta.
              So testing and improving is in progress.
              If you want a stable setup stick to the old for now.
              Eddy

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                Hi Bill,

                There are two separate products, the 16 bit BPQCODE, the lastest version of
                which is 4.09d, and the 32 bit BPQ32, which is up to about v4.09s. Up to now
                you needed 32 bit applications to work with BPQ32, although there are a few
                exceptions (such as Winlink 2.9, using the TNC2 interface).

                However, I've been working on ways of using 16 bit apps with BPQ32. So far,
                I can run DOS programs on Win/XP, and 16 bit windows programs that use the
                bpqdll.dll interface on both Win98 and WIN/XP. I'm working on getting dos
                programs to work with 98. Unfortunately not many 16 bit windows programs use
                the dll interface, so it is not the complete answer, but on XP you should be
                able to run FastChat and JNOS. You could also run Winlink Classic using
                BPQTNC2, and the 32bit WINFBB. The software should be released soon, but if
                you are interested in trying it, I'll send you a copy.

                Regards,

                John G8BPQ

                --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                > Bill,
                > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                > fine.
                > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                > folder.
                > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                > they don't
                > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                > ports in
                > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                > first,
                > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                > ports used
                > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                > 4 packet
                > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                > things right,
                > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                > grayed-out
                > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                >
                > ... Duane N7QDN
                >
                > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks for the info.
                > >
                > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                > COM
                > > port to work.
                > > Will the current version support the
                > >
                > > TNCPORT
                > > COM=8
                > > TYPE=TNC2
                > > APPLFLAGS=6
                > > ENDPORT
                > >
                > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                > recognizing it
                > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                > >
                > > Thanks, Bill
                > >

                > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                > >
                > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                > the
                > > > original
                > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                > with
                > > > another
                > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                > allow
                > > > a BPQ32
                > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                > ports.
                > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                > the
                > > > file
                > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                > > > station.
                > > >
                > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                > mentioned.
                > > >
                > > > ... Duane N7QDN
                > > >

                > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                > and
                > > > use it.

                > > > switch?
                > see
                > > > BPQ32?

                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Peter Mallett
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006

                  Hello John and the Group,

                  Sorry if this a bit off this list but John, you mention the last
                  of the 16 bit BPQ was 4.09d ???

                  I have 409c which is just a BPQCODE.EXE and before that
                  4.09b which was a full set of files but found that it had a problem
                  with the Nodes as far as TheNet and a few others as it would
                  only display BPQ nodes that were broadcast locally.

                  My question John is, could I obtain a copy of 4.09d or point me
                  in the direction of where to download it ???

                  I run WinFBB16 under windows 98se and use Xrouter as the
                  network system, however, the BBS etc runs much faster
                  when using BPQ and have been considering switching back
                  to BPQ for that reason.

                  I did look at the 32 bit version of FBB but there appears to be
                  some many different files etc that I haven`t been able to get it
                  setup as it should be.

                  Hope you can help.

                  Regards ..... Peter

                  ZL2BAU - Blenheim BBS is on line 24/7 for Telnet Forwarding

                      Located In - Blenheim - South Island - New Zealand
                      Grid Location : RE68XL ( 41.30.41S / 173.57.80E )
                      New Zealand / World Wide Telnet BBS Forwarding
                      E-Mail : zl2bau@...
                      Packet Mail : ZL2BAU @ ZL2BAU.#73.NZL.OC
                      Static IP : 60.234.131.173  (zl2bau.co.nz)
                      Internet BBS : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz:6303
                      Internet Node : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz
                      Internet Node Call : BAUNOD:ZL2BAU-3 (44.147.185.26)
                      HTTP Server : http://zl2bau.co.nz:85
                      Chat Server : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz:3600
                      APRS Server : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz:1448
                      Tcp/Ip Routing : 44.147.185.24/29  (44.147.185.26)
                      Default UDP Port : 93 (Others to suit link requirements)

                  --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                  > Bill,
                  > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                  > fine.
                  > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                  > folder.
                  > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                  > they don't
                  > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                  > ports in
                  > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                  > first,
                  > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                  > ports used
                  > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                  > 4 packet
                  > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                  > things right,
                  > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                  > grayed-out
                  > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                  >
                  >    ... Duane N7QDN
                  >
                  > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                  > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the info.
                  > >
                  > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                  > COM
                  > > port to work.
                  > > Will the current version support the
                  > >
                  > > TNCPORT
                  > >    COM=8
                  > >    TYPE=TNC2
                  > >    APPLFLAGS=6
                  > > ENDPORT
                  > >
                  > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                  > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                  > recognizing it
                  > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                  > >
                  > > Thanks, Bill
                  > >

                  > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                  > the
                  > > > original
                  > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                  > with
                  > > > another
                  > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                  > allow
                  > > > a BPQ32
                  > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                  > ports.
                  > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                  > the
                  > > > file
                  > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                  > > > station.
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                  > mentioned.
                  > > >
                  > > >    ... Duane N7QDN
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                  > and
                  > > > use it.

                  > > > switch?
                  > see
                  > > > BPQ32?

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 26, 2006
                    Peter,

                    I've uploaded version 409d to the files area.

                    Only change from 409c was to fix a problem which caused a crash if a message was received with a corrupt source callsign. I think this was introduced about version 409a.

                    73,
                    John G8BPQ

                    --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                    > Bill,
                    > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                    > fine.
                    > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                    > folder.
                    > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                    > they don't
                    > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                    > ports in
                    > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                    > first,
                    > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                    > ports used
                    > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                    > 4 packet
                    > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                    > things right,
                    > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                    > grayed-out
                    > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                    >
                    >    ... Duane N7QDN
                    >
                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                    > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the info.
                    > >
                    > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                    > COM
                    > > port to work.
                    > > Will the current version support the
                    > >
                    > > TNCPORT
                    > >    COM=8
                    > >    TYPE=TNC2
                    > >    APPLFLAGS=6
                    > > ENDPORT
                    > >
                    > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                    > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                    > recognizing it
                    > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, Bill
                    > >

                    > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                    > the
                    > > > original
                    > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                    > with
                    > > > another
                    > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                    > allow
                    > > > a BPQ32
                    > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                    > ports.
                    > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                    > the
                    > > > file
                    > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                    > > > station.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                    > mentioned.
                    > > >
                    > > >    ... Duane N7QDN
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                    > and
                    > > > use it.

                    > > > switch?
                    > see
                    > > > BPQ32?

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  • Bill West
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2006
                      Hello John:

                      Thanks for the reply. I would be happy to try
                      anything you have available.

                      I am doing this as an upgrade from a Win 98B PC that
                      was running WinFBB 16bit, JNOS, FastChat, and Winlink
                      CLassic. I had them all running off the 16 G8BPQ
                      switch and talking to it. They all were configured to
                      forward to each other thru the switch as needed. This
                      was on a single PC - Pentium 100 w/multiple windows.

                      I'll dig thru my PCs for a XP compatible PC and load
                      it up since I am guessing support for Win 98 will be
                      waning as time goes on.

                      Thanks, Bill

                    • Peter Mallett
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2006

                        Hello John and the group,

                             Thankyou for the file John, have downloaded it and will give
                        it a whirl a bit later this evening.

                        --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                        > Bill,
                        > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                        > fine.
                        > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                        > folder.
                        > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                        > they don't
                        > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                        > ports in
                        > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                        > first,
                        > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                        > ports used
                        > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                        > 4 packet
                        > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                        > things right,
                        > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                        > grayed-out
                        > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                        >
                        >    ... Duane N7QDN
                        >
                        > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                        > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the info.
                        > >
                        > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                        > COM
                        > > port to work.
                        > > Will the current version support the
                        > >
                        > > TNCPORT
                        > >    COM=8
                        > >    TYPE=TNC2
                        > >    APPLFLAGS=6
                        > > ENDPORT
                        > >
                        > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                        > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                        > recognizing it
                        > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                        > >
                        > > Thanks, Bill
                        > >

                        > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                        > the
                        > > > original
                        > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                        > with
                        > > > another
                        > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                        > allow
                        > > > a BPQ32
                        > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                        > ports.
                        > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                        > the
                        > > > file
                        > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                        > > > station.
                        > > >
                        > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                        > mentioned.
                        > > >
                        > > >    ... Duane N7QDN
                        > > >

                        > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                        > and