OK, what's everyone using for HP packet now?

  • n4zkf
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 19, 2014

      I have not had a single descent HF packet passing or even QSO since I left the DRSI cards.  I know it isn't BPQ. But the DRSI's worked awesome and I have tried a PK232MBX in Kiss, I have tried a PK900 in Kiss and just can't seem to get a descent flow. I will get connected and that's about it. I have been on Net105 (where at least there is some action) over 14.098 (which is now dead) trying for over 2 weeks and just not making any headway. I have used my IC-7800, I have tried my FT-840 (regular 20 meter port radio). What are you all using for an HF modem on BPQ now days??

      I found online a USB to ISA adapter I'm thinking about buying and trying my DRSI's again that way! MY VHF port works just great on the 1278 in kiss because of the different tones, etc. I'm even willing to try another mode on HF at this point if it works I'm so over trying to get it.

      73 Thanks

      Dave n4zkf

    • n9lya
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 19, 2014
        Hi Dave...

        I just checked my system and iot apears to be ok as far as 20 meter HF...

        I am home most of the weekend.. If you have time we can get on phone and give packet a try see what we see and hear.. I thought it had been quiet and maybe conditions were reasons for difficulty...

        Here is my heard list this morning 14.098.. As you can see it is 10+ Hours old.

        Followed by my net105 heard list.. looks like over 6 hours old.

        Band should open later.. I have to go eat and will be back..send me an email with a good time to call.

        n9lya @ nwcable.net    73 jerry n9lya

        *** Connected
        mh 10 14.098
        IN105:N9LYA-7} Heard List for Port 10
        N0XR       00:10:49:39
        N0KFQ-1    00:11:01:55
        KB0WSA-6   00:11:52:55
        KFQBBS-1   00:18:43:41
        N1OHX      00:22:48:03
        N4ZKF-5    01:13:22:57
        DABBBS-2   01:13:40:16
        N4ZKF      01:14:12:32

        mh 2  14.105
        IN105:N9LYA-7} Heard List for Port 2
        KA9QJT*    00:06:34:25    via KB9SOZ-7,K8BZ-7
        W6OAV*     00:09:28:27    via KC6OAR,KB9KC
        VE2TMW     00:11:02:15
        W4KUM*     00:11:40:36    via KA9QJT
        W4KUM      00:12:17:37
        KD4RSX     00:13:53:32
        KB9SOZ-7*  00:18:05:00    via KA9QJT-7*,W0TX-7
        KA9QJT-7   00:19:00:06
        KI4ZNH*    00:19:49:48    via KA9QJT*
        AJ0O-7     00:20:22:52
        N4ATA-15   00:21:00:37
        KE0GB*     01:10:28:33    via KC6OAR
        W0TX       01:10:48:37
        W6OAV-1    01:11:01:58
        KE0GB-1    01:11:26:43
        KE0GB      01:11:40:00
        KE0GB-7    01:11:40:45
        KE0GB-15   01:11:48:34
        N1MIW      01:12:17:36

        73 jerry
      • Charles Brabham
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 19, 2014
          I've been using MixW in virtual KISS TNC mode for HF Packet. Having a waterfall display gives you instant, accurate one-click tuning. Packet will 'work' with a misaligned signal which leads to many throughput problems. With MixW, you never have to worry about that again.

          Lately I've been using the BPQ/FLDIGI KISS 09 setup that allows you to use MFSK32, 5xPSK63R etc.

          73 DE Charles, N5PVL

          73 DE Charles, N5PVL
          On 7/19/2014 5:43 AM, n4zkf@... [BPQ32] wrote:

[...]

        • K.O. Higgs
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 19, 2014
            I am using KAM-XL, and still on 14098..

            K.O. n0kfq

            --

            K.O. Higgs
            n0kfq@...

          • Jim
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 19, 2014
              Jerry I started a job in Tucson. Strange situation here but doing well in the first 2 weeks. I had to sell the ha radio and most of the test gear  I still have the scs boxes.

              Jim wu3v

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 20, 2014
                What do you use the the soundcard interface or did you just make one?

                73 Dave
                n4zkf

              • n4zkf
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 20, 2014
                  You may here my beacon or ID but I don't get any messages passed. Maybe the band is just crap this direction right now but on 105 is wasn't and I could connect but that was about it. All the mark and space tuning was right on the money, I monitored the sounds TX out (after 20+ years you can listen and tell if it sounds OK) and it was fine. But just has no thru-put. I have the HF port in KISS on a PK900 right now. I'll play later some more.

                  73 Dave
                  n4zkf
                • Charles Brabham
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 20, 2014
                    I use a commercial soundcard interface now, but started off with a hay-wired home-brew interface that looked like a Frankenstein's monster.

                    There are several HF soundcard modems now.  The UZ7HO soundmodem will interface directly to BPQ32 without virvtual COM ports etc.

                    MixW requires use of virtual COM ports and is not free, but I've got a paid-for copy of it and prefer the MixW interface, so that's what I use.

                    Now that I'm using the FLDIGI interface to BPQ32 with access to over a dozen exotic digital modes, I use MixW for VHF Packet and an out of the HF Packet business for good.

                    73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 20, 2014
                      Which interface do you like best? Tiger tropics. West Mountain? Etc?

                      Dave
                    • n4zkf
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 20, 2014
                        Tigertronics, iPads......
                      • Charles Brabham
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 20, 2014
                          I use the "EasyDigi" interface available on eBay. Just go to eBay and do a search for Easydigi.

                          I also use a "Rascal" interface sold at Packetradio.com

                          Both work flawlessly for me. Customer service with Easydigi is much better, when questions arise.

                          As always, the best interface is one that somebody that you know uses and swears by, that way it comes with a free Elmer.

                          73 DE Charles, N5PVL

                          On 7/20/2014 10:08 AM, n4zkf@... [BPQ32] wrote:

                          Tigertronics, iPads......

                        • Charles Brabham
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 20, 2014
                            I forgot to mention that you can get a two port USB to COM port dongle on eBay or amazon that will give you two COM ports out of one USB port. Works great. That, and a USB sound-card and you can run two soundcard interfaces on one computer. I do this an old XP netbook and it works great.

                            You can also get a four port USB-Com Port dongle if you have a few box TNC's that need a Com port.

                            73 DE Charles, N5PVL