Compatability

  • Bill West
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
      Hello:

      The following apps "see" the BPQ 409c switch and use it.
      WFBB 7.00i
      Winlink 29 Classic
      Fastchat (packet chat node)
      JNOS 1.11c

      Question:
      Anyone know what of these will see/use BPQ32 switch?
      and
      What versions of FBB have to be installed to see BPQ32?

      Thanks, Bill

      (considering upgrading)
    • dshults
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 11, 2006
        John has recently released a windows version of the original
        DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works with another
        utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to allow a BPQ32
        node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet ports.
        The archive is all documented and available in the file
        section for this group. Presently running at my station.

        I'm not sure about the other programs you mentioned.

        ... Duane N7QDN

        --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:

        > Hello:
        >
        > The following apps "see" the BPQ 409c switch and use it.
        > WFBB 7.00i
        > Winlink 29 Classic
        > Fastchat (packet chat node)
        > JNOS 1.11c
        >
        > Question:
        > Anyone know what of these will see/use BPQ32 switch?
        > and
        > What versions of FBB have to be installed to see BPQ32?
        >
        > Thanks, Bill
        >
        > (considering upgrading)

      • Bill West
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
          Thanks for the info.

          Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual COM
          port to work.
          Will the current version support the

          TNCPORT
          COM=8
          TYPE=TNC2
          APPLFLAGS=6
          ENDPORT

          type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
          Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0 recognizing it
          - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)

          Thanks, Bill

          --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

          > John has recently released a windows version of the
          > original
          > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works with
          > another
          > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to allow
          > a BPQ32
          > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet ports.
          > The archive is all documented and available in the
          > file
          > section for this group. Presently running at my
          > station.
          >
          > I'm not sure about the other programs you mentioned.
          >
          > ... Duane N7QDN
          >

          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West"
          > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello:
          > >
          > > The following apps "see" the BPQ 409c switch and
          > use it.
          > > WFBB 7.00i
          > > Winlink 29 Classic
          > > Fastchat (packet chat node)
          > > JNOS 1.11c
          > >
          > > Question:
          > > Anyone know what of these will see/use BPQ32
          > switch?
          > > and
          > > What versions of FBB have to be installed to see
          > BPQ32?
          > >
          > > Thanks, Bill
          > >
          > > (considering upgrading)
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • dshults
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 23, 2006
            Bill,
            Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work fine.
            Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system folder.
            Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but they don't
            hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com: ports in
            windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec first,
            then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those ports used
            by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run 4 packet
            windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have things right,
            you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still grayed-out
            in the packet-configuration-port window.

          • Bill West
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
              Hello:

              Thanks for the reply.. I was hoping to upgrade from
              the 4.08 series to 4.09s version -- but it looks like
              4.09s is not backwards compatible with 4.08 series
              (which worked OK on Winlink Classic, JNOS, etc).

              Know if 4.09s is compatible with the above if running
              under Win XP? if not, I guess it will be best to go
              back and setup 4.08 series with FBB 16 bit, etc.

              Thanks, Bill

            • Eddy
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                bpq32 409s is beta.
                So testing and improving is in progress.
                If you want a stable setup stick to the old for now.
                Eddy

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006
                  Hi Bill,

                  There are two separate products, the 16 bit BPQCODE, the lastest version of
                  which is 4.09d, and the 32 bit BPQ32, which is up to about v4.09s. Up to now
                  you needed 32 bit applications to work with BPQ32, although there are a few
                  exceptions (such as Winlink 2.9, using the TNC2 interface).

                  However, I've been working on ways of using 16 bit apps with BPQ32. So far,
                  I can run DOS programs on Win/XP, and 16 bit windows programs that use the
                  bpqdll.dll interface on both Win98 and WIN/XP. I'm working on getting dos
                  programs to work with 98. Unfortunately not many 16 bit windows programs use
                  the dll interface, so it is not the complete answer, but on XP you should be
                  able to run FastChat and JNOS. You could also run Winlink Classic using
                  BPQTNC2, and the 32bit WINFBB. The software should be released soon, but if
                  you are interested in trying it, I'll send you a copy.

                  Regards,

                  John G8BPQ

                  --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                  > Bill,
                  > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                  > fine.
                  > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                  > folder.
                  > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                  > they don't
                  > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                  > ports in
                  > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                  > first,
                  > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                  > ports used
                  > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                  > 4 packet
                  > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                  > things right,
                  > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                  > grayed-out
                  > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                  >
                  > ... Duane N7QDN
                  >
                  > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                  > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the info.
                  > >
                  > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                  > COM
                  > > port to work.
                  > > Will the current version support the
                  > >
                  > > TNCPORT
                  > > COM=8
                  > > TYPE=TNC2
                  > > APPLFLAGS=6
                  > > ENDPORT
                  > >
                  > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                  > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                  > recognizing it
                  > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                  > >
                  > > Thanks, Bill
                  > >

                  > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                  > the
                  > > > original
                  > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                  > with
                  > > > another
                  > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                  > allow
                  > > > a BPQ32
                  > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                  > ports.
                  > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                  > the
                  > > > file
                  > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                  > > > station.
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                  > mentioned.
                  > > >
                  > > > ... Duane N7QDN
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                  > and
                  > > > use it.

                  > > > switch?
                  > see
                  > > > BPQ32?

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Peter Mallett
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 25, 2006

                    Hello John and the Group,

                    Sorry if this a bit off this list but John, you mention the last
                    of the 16 bit BPQ was 4.09d ???

                    I have 409c which is just a BPQCODE.EXE and before that
                    4.09b which was a full set of files but found that it had a problem
                    with the Nodes as far as TheNet and a few others as it would
                    only display BPQ nodes that were broadcast locally.

                    My question John is, could I obtain a copy of 4.09d or point me
                    in the direction of where to download it ???

                    I run WinFBB16 under windows 98se and use Xrouter as the
                    network system, however, the BBS etc runs much faster
                    when using BPQ and have been considering switching back
                    to BPQ for that reason.

                    I did look at the 32 bit version of FBB but there appears to be
                    some many different files etc that I haven`t been able to get it
                    setup as it should be.

                    Hope you can help.

                    Regards ..... Peter

                    ZL2BAU - Blenheim BBS is on line 24/7 for Telnet Forwarding

                        Located In - Blenheim - South Island - New Zealand
                        Grid Location : RE68XL ( 41.30.41S / 173.57.80E )
                        New Zealand / World Wide Telnet BBS Forwarding
                        E-Mail : zl2bau@...
                        Packet Mail : ZL2BAU @ ZL2BAU.#73.NZL.OC
                        Static IP : 60.234.131.173  (zl2bau.co.nz)
                        Internet BBS : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz:6303
                        Internet Node : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz
                        Internet Node Call : BAUNOD:ZL2BAU-3 (44.147.185.26)
                        HTTP Server : http://zl2bau.co.nz:85
                        Chat Server : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz:3600
                        APRS Server : telnet://zl2bau.co.nz:1448
                        Tcp/Ip Routing : 44.147.185.24/29  (44.147.185.26)
                        Default UDP Port : 93 (Others to suit link requirements)

                    --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                    > Bill,
                    > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                    > fine.
                    > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                    > folder.
                    > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                    > they don't
                    > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                    > ports in
                    > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                    > first,
                    > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                    > ports used
                    > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                    > 4 packet
                    > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                    > things right,
                    > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                    > grayed-out
                    > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                    >
                    >    ... Duane N7QDN
                    >
                    > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                    > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the info.
                    > >
                    > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                    > COM
                    > > port to work.
                    > > Will the current version support the
                    > >
                    > > TNCPORT
                    > >    COM=8
                    > >    TYPE=TNC2
                    > >    APPLFLAGS=6
                    > > ENDPORT
                    > >
                    > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                    > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                    > recognizing it
                    > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                    > >
                    > > Thanks, Bill
                    > >

                    > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                    > the
                    > > > original
                    > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                    > with
                    > > > another
                    > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                    > allow
                    > > > a BPQ32
                    > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                    > ports.
                    > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                    > the
                    > > > file
                    > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                    > > > station.
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                    > mentioned.
                    > > >
                    > > >    ... Duane N7QDN
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                    > and
                    > > > use it.

                    > > > switch?
                    > see
                    > > > BPQ32?

                    > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 26, 2006
                      Peter,

                      I've uploaded version 409d to the files area.

                      Only change from 409c was to fix a problem which caused a crash if a message was received with a corrupt source callsign. I think this was introduced about version 409a.

                      73,
                      John G8BPQ

                      --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                      > Bill,
                      > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                      > fine.
                      > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                      > folder.
                      > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                      > they don't
                      > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                      > ports in
                      > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                      > first,
                      > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                      > ports used
                      > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                      > 4 packet
                      > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                      > things right,
                      > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                      > grayed-out
                      > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                      >
                      >    ... Duane N7QDN
                      >
                      > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                      > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Thanks for the info.
                      > >
                      > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                      > COM
                      > > port to work.
                      > > Will the current version support the
                      > >
                      > > TNCPORT
                      > >    COM=8
                      > >    TYPE=TNC2
                      > >    APPLFLAGS=6
                      > > ENDPORT
                      > >
                      > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                      > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                      > recognizing it
                      > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                      > >
                      > > Thanks, Bill
                      > >

                      > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                      > the
                      > > > original
                      > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                      > with
                      > > > another
                      > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                      > allow
                      > > > a BPQ32
                      > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                      > ports.
                      > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                      > the
                      > > > file
                      > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                      > > > station.
                      > > >
                      > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                      > mentioned.
                      > > >
                      > > >    ... Duane N7QDN
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                      > and
                      > > > use it.

                      > > > switch?
                      > see
                      > > > BPQ32?

                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    • Bill West
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 26, 2006
                        Hello John:

                        Thanks for the reply. I would be happy to try
                        anything you have available.

                        I am doing this as an upgrade from a Win 98B PC that
                        was running WinFBB 16bit, JNOS, FastChat, and Winlink
                        CLassic. I had them all running off the 16 G8BPQ
                        switch and talking to it. They all were configured to
                        forward to each other thru the switch as needed. This
                        was on a single PC - Pentium 100 w/multiple windows.

                        I'll dig thru my PCs for a XP compatible PC and load
                        it up since I am guessing support for Win 98 will be
                        waning as time goes on.

                        Thanks, Bill

                      • Peter Mallett
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 26, 2006

                          Hello John and the group,

                               Thankyou for the file John, have downloaded it and will give
                          it a whirl a bit later this evening.

                          --- dshults <n7qdn@...> wrote:

                          > Bill,
                          > Win98/BPQ408a/Winlink 2.9 (the packet modules) work
                          > fine.
                          > Copy bpqcode.386 & bpqdll.dll to the \windows\system
                          > folder.
                          > Don't really need the tncport/endport entries but
                          > they don't
                          > hurt anything. Be sure to reserve your real bpq com:
                          > ports in
                          > windows control panel. Start bpqcode in the autoexec
                          > first,
                          > then bpqhtnc2 passing parameters to match those
                          > ports used
                          > by your winlink packet ports. I use "16 4 8" and run
                          > 4 packet
                          > windows starting at virtual port 4. If you have
                          > things right,
                          > you'll see the G8BPQ check box checked, but still
                          > grayed-out
                          > in the packet-configuration-port window.
                          >
                          >    ... Duane N7QDN
                          >
                          > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, Bill West
                          > <mrcyberbill@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the info.
                          > >
                          > > Am running Win98 so was not able to the virtual
                          > COM
                          > > port to work.
                          > > Will the current version support the
                          > >
                          > > TNCPORT
                          > >    COM=8
                          > >    TYPE=TNC2
                          > >    APPLFLAGS=6
                          > > ENDPORT
                          > >
                          > > type of configuration for a virtual COM port under
                          > > Win98 still? (am not seeing Winlink 3.0
                          > recognizing it
                          > > - perhaps a .DLL needs to go into /SYSTEM ???)
                          > >
                          > > Thanks, Bill
                          > >

                          > > --- dshults <n7qdn@a...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > John has recently released a windows version of
                          > the
                          > > > original
                          > > > DOS program BPQHTNC2 called BPQTNC2. It works
                          > with
                          > > > another
                          > > > utility he created called BPQVirtualCOM.sys to
                          > allow
                          > > > a BPQ32
                          > > > node access to one or more Winlink 2.9 packet
                          > ports.
                          > > > The archive is all documented and available in
                          > the
                          > > > file
                          > > > section for this group. Presently running at my
                          > > > station.
                          > > >
                          > > > I'm not sure about the other programs you
                          > mentioned.
                          > > >
                          > > >    ... Duane N7QDN
                          > > >

                          > > > --- In BPQ32@yahoogroups.com, "Bill West" <mrcyberbill@y...>

                          > and