Lost All Incoming IP except one: Suggestions?

  • zl4ax
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 14, 2014

      Overnight at 1am, all my incoming Nodes Broadcasts (except one) CEASED.  I have ten Nodes Broadcast partners, all on UDP ports 93 and 10093.   All had disappeared, except GB7BA in England.  He was still working 100%.

      This morning I found this, and re-booted my complete system, including the internet router.  All recovered fine, but the situation on the BPQ Gateway persists.  I'm not hearing anyone on the IP port except GB7BA.

      I'm unable to connect outwards, and my Nodes List is empty, except to GB7BA, which is still fine.

      By going through GB7BA, I've checked the 'Heard' lists of my other node partners, and I can see that they are hearing me ok.  But I'm getting nothing back from ANY of them except GB7BA.

      At first I suspected that there might be a problem in my router or elsewhere with UDP ports 93 and 10093.   But that's that same port as GB7BA, so the 'blockage' isn't in my system, because he is coming through just fine.    Also, I wondered if there was a problem at my service provider, blocking those ports, but again, GB7BA is coming through ok, so it can't be that either.

      Could this be connected with the attack on 'NO-IP' by Microsoft?   I'm a NO-IP customer, and it had all recovered well since the Microsoft raid.

      I don't know what else to do.  I've never seen anything like this before, and I don't know what else to check.

      Suggestions would be welcomed.

      thanks

      Paul ZL4AX New Zealand

      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 14, 2014
        Paul

        I assume the NO-IP updater is running for inbound connects, I don't remember
        if you are running BPQ/WIN or BPQ/LIN

        The two URL's are windows, it is probably best to use WHATSMIP and compare
        your ISP IP Address is correct with NO-IP updater, also included again for
        Windows
        Is a Port checker, you can check UDP or TCP, Note: you Must shut down the
        programs in question before testing the Port ea. 93 & 10093.

        You could also try a trace route to your partners.

        I have you mapped in as ZL4AX-10 PUKKIE.ZAPTO.ORG

        Is this correct? You mentioned NO-IP as your host?

        Just looking at my AXIP MHeard list, it is about 40% of what it should be

        The following nodes have disappeared
        GM8BPQ
        XE1FH NO-IP.ORG
        W8BBS NO-IP.ORG
        KB5HAV NO-IP .ORG

        The few I have as NO-IP.BIZ are ok, so is MS blocking .ORG again and
        possibly some of their sub host?

        http://www.whatsmyip.us/

        https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhr1yc35it91f98/setup-network-utilities.exe

        Mike N9PMO
        BPQ32 Group Moderator
        www.n9pmo.com
      • Peter Mallett
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 14, 2014
          On 07/15/2014 11:39 AM, zl4ax@... [BPQ32] wrote:

[...]

          Hi Paul,

                     I wonder, have you tried rebooting your ADSL router ???

          Also try a reboot of your Windows machine that BPQ is running on, I would do that after you try the ADSL router reboot, just to see which one may be the cause.

          Your BPQ Node looks like its running ok tho`.

          Best of luck.

          --
          Regards ..... Peter  ZL2BAU

              ZL2BAU BBS - Waimate - South Canterbury BBS & APRS iGate

              Located In - Waimate - Central South Island - New Zealand
                      Grid Location : RE55MG - 44.44.26S / 171.03.23E
              New Zealand / World Wide Telnet BBS Forwarding
                             E-Mail : peter.zl2bau@...
                NZART Member Number : 104431
                              Skype : ZL2BAU or Peter Mallett
                           Echolink : ZL2BAU
                        Packet Mail : ZL2BAU @ ZL2BAU.#79.NZL.OC
                      Commercial IP : 118.82.200.153
                   Dynamic Hostname : zl2bau.co.nz
              Internet Xrouter Node : BAUNOD:ZL2BAU-3 - 44.147.210.26
              Tcp/Ip 44-Net Routing : 44.147.210.0/24 Gateway 44.147.210.26
                    Internet LinBBS : telnet 118.82.200.153  port  6303
                 Apache File Server : 118.82.200.153  port  8085
              Internet Xrouter Node : telnet 118.82.200.153  port  23
                Xrouter Chat Server : telnet 118.82.200.153  port  3600
                Xrouter APRS Server : telnet 118.82.200.153  port  1448
                Xrouter HTTP Server : http://118.82.200.153  port  8500
                 Xastir APRS Server : telnet 118.82.200.153  port  2023

        • clive796629
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 15, 2014
            Hi Paul and all
            I have had a similar problem. I use a Raspberry Pi set-up and have noticed several times recently my links have fallen to 2 and my node list is severely pruned. On re-boot of the Pi it all goes back to normal for a day or so and then goes downhill again. This has now happened several times and I wondereed if it was to do with the Microsoft fiasco. I am loathe to re-boot my router as it affects my IP profile (BT is my provider) and I already struggle with a 0.5 to 0.7 Mbps broadband speed. My address is gm4fzh.no-ip.org.

            Have others had this problem?

            Clive (SWSCOT)
            GM4FZH
          • zl4ax
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 15, 2014

              Yes Mike, that's correct. My address is at Zapto.  Zapto is one of the names used by No-Ip.

              I've rebooted several times, and checked all internal routings on my own network, and

              they're all correct.  The echolink I'm running is fine, and now I've got you and AE5E incoming

              correctly, but GB7BA who was ok, now dropped-off.

              This is my worst outage in six years service.  I don't know enough about networking to get

              myself out of this mess.  I'm gonna go for help, but the nearest guy who does this stuff lives

              in a different part of the country, and he works full-time.

              I may be off line for quite a long time.

              I wonder what YOU did to get back onto my listings and to start hearing me again?

              Obviously, I didn't change anything at my end, so I assume that Microsoft are launching

              another wave of attacks on the Ham community through Zapto/No-Ip ?    With my level

              of knowledge, I dunno what I can do about that.  All is set up correctly at my end, just

              as it always has been.

              But the route-checking procedures that you've kindly suggested are outside my experience.

              Thanks so much for your suggestions.   I think I'm in big trouble, hi hi !

              73

              Paul  ZL4AX

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 15, 2014
                Paul

                I have you back in my nodes table, a total of 206 nodes, W9BBS.NO-IP.ORG,
                GM8BPQ and still a few other NO-IP accounts are not showing up, these may be
                isolated cases?

                I did a search on NO-IP but all indicates all NO-IP accounts and Sub
                accounts should
                Be restored, I know this isn't the answer Clive, GB7BA is looking for.

                Never the less, Microsoft sure made a mess out of our communications.

                Clive have you tried logging into your account by web and check if your
                account is still active?

                Mike N9PMO
                BPQ32 Group Moderator
                www.n9pmo.com
              • zl4ax
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 15, 2014

                  I just got my answer!!!    NO-IP had closed my account!!

                  They said it was due to non-use!!!

                  In fact, they now email out a monthly 'keep-alive' message

                  that we have to reply-to, or lose our account.

                  I checked back, and this month's email wasn't received.

                  All other emails from them got here fine.

                  I SUSPECT THAT THE ATTACK BY MICROSOFT HAS

                  DISRUPTED THE ROUTINE MONTHLY RENEWAL EMAILS.

                  So check yours now.   This has never happened to me before

                  in six good years of reliable operation.  It is too much coincidence

                  that my monthly email went missing during the Microsoft raids.

                  Wow, I sure hope that none of you ever experience the stress

                  and disruption that this has caused me over several days.

                  I've been down in that shed with my equipment until 4am for

                  two nights, re-checking everything over and over.

                  I really, really hate Microsoft.  How dare they do this to millions

                  of bona-fide users across the globe?   It's none of their

                  business how we use our networks and Ham radio systems.

                  As far as I'm concerned, Microsoft are the only ones guilty of

                  malware offences.  They're the only people I've ever seen

                  disrupting global communications, nobody else!

                  Thanks to all who've offered me advice during the outage.

                  73  Paul ZL4AX New Zealand

                • Joel Yates
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                    If you have a static IP address or one that does not change often enough they will complain about non usage.
                    To get around that problem you will need to pay for a subscription to no-ip.
                    ...73's...Joel N4JOA

                    Joel Yates
                    yate4899@...

                    On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 2:47 AM, zl4ax@... [BPQ32] <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

                  • Jerry Kutche

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                            Not Seeing line to N9PMO-2

                            Hi Mike,

                            It was brought to my attention yesterday from a local user that  my BPQ32 system is not seeing
                            your system. He was able to go through the system and get to you through a different route and
                            indicated your system is not seeing mine as well.

                            I have you mapped as:

                            MAP N9PMO-2 N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG 10093 B

                            I did a restart on the system and checked the AXIP Port Resolver and it shows:

                            N9PMO-2    = N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG 10093 Error 11011 B

                            In the ROUTES table it shows:

                            N9PMO-2 255 0!

                            ANY IDEAS??

                            73, Doug – N4ATA

                          • Don Poaps
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014

                              is what I have. I just copied from my BPQ

                              Don

                              On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Douglas Parker n4ata@... [BPQ32] <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                              Hi Mike,

                              It was brought to my attention yesterday from a local user that  my BPQ32 system is not seeing
                              your system. He was able to go through the system and get to you through a different route and
                              indicated your system is not seeing mine as well.

                              I have you mapped as:

                              MAP N9PMO-2 N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG 10093 B

                              I did a restart on the system and checked the AXIP Port Resolver and it shows:

                              N9PMO-2    = N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG 10093 Error 11011 B

                              In the ROUTES table it shows:

                              N9PMO-2 255 0!

                              ANY IDEAS??

                              73, Doug – N4ATA

                              --
                              Don Poaps
                              New Westminster, BC
                              VA7DGP

                            • Douglas Parker
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                                Re: [BPQ32] Not Seeing line to N9PMO-2 Thanks Don, will make the change and see if it works.

                                Doug

                                On 7/16/14, 13:11 , "Don Poaps va7dgp@... [BPQ32]" <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                N9PMO.DYNDNS.BIZ <http://N9PMO.DYNDNS.BIZ>

                                is what I have. I just copied from my BPQ

                                Don

                                On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 9:12 AM, Douglas Parker n4ata@... [BPQ32] <BPQ32@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                Hi Mike,

                                It was brought to my attention yesterday from a local user that  my BPQ32 system is not seeing
                                your system. He was able to go through the system and get to you through a different route and
                                indicated your system is not seeing mine as well.

                                I have you mapped as:

                                MAP N9PMO-2 N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG <http://N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG>  10093 B

                                I did a restart on the system and checked the AXIP Port Resolver and it shows:

                                N9PMO-2    = N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG <http://N9PMO.NO-IP.ORG>  10093 Error 11011 B

                                In the ROUTES table it shows:

                                N9PMO-2 255 0!

                                ANY IDEAS??

                                73, Doug – N4ATA

                                Message 15 of 17 , Jul 16, 2014
                                  Yes that is correct, I am not too sure we have seen the end of this NO-IP
                                  problems yet, time will tell.

                                  n9pmo.dyndns.biz

                                  Mike N9PMO
                                  BPQ32 Group Moderator
                                  www.n9pmo.com
                                • clive796629
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jul 17, 2014
                                    Hi
                                    Problem has only occurred since Microsoft fiasco.

                                    Logged into my NO-IP account, had wrong IP address under Manage Hosts. Checked my Raspberry Pi using sudo noip2 -S and this gave same IP address as my router/modem. Also used Checked My Port from NO-IP after logging in and this gave same IP address as my router. For some reason IP address is wrong in Manage Hosts, I changed this to my router/modem address and all works fine for a  day or so. My account appears active.

                                    Keeping an eye on this situation, apologies for those with links to me. Will contact NOIP if this persists. Any advice welcome.

                                    Clive
                                    GM4FZH
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jul 17, 2014
                                      Clive

                                      For the free NO-IP service the condition is you visit their web site once a
                                      month, if not
                                      They deactivate your account, you usually receive an e-mail your account has
                                      been deactivated and a URL to go to reactivate it again.

                                      Try logging in to your account via the NO-IP web site with your user and
                                      password, it should show up, and you can reactivate it again.

                                      Mike N9PMO
                                      BPQ32 Group Moderator