Error message when starting bpq on pi

  • n3xpd
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014
      I am working at getting linbpq setup on my raspberry pi and when I start it up with "./linbpq mail chat" it seems to start ok, but it responds with,

      "bind(119) failed Error 13: Permission denied".

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Mike - n3xpd
    • Dennis Nelson
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014
        What port is your comport set for? That error indicates that the hardware port(/dev/tty***) isn't available.

      • Clayton Brantley

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014

              Sorry not correct.

              You can either add

              LINMAIL

              LINCHAT

              to bpq32.cfg, or you can add mail and/or chat to the command line,

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014

                Mike,

                You probably haven't run setcap after downloading linbpq. in Linux you can't open TCP ports below 1000 without root privilege.

                sudo setcap "CAP_NET_ADMIN=ep CAP_NET_RAW=ep CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE=ep" linbpq

                Or you could run as root, but generally that isn't a good idea.

                73, John

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014

                  I have been running BPQ on the raspberry for some time now and I found early on that if I boot it with :-

                  ./linbpq mail

                  It often crashed. Subsequently, I found that two copies of the mail server were running, so I now just do :-

                  ./linbpq

                  and all is fine. Is this not correct ?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014

                    If you have the line

                    LINMAIL

                    in bpq32.cfg, then you can just use ./linbpq. If not, then you need ./linbpq mail. It shouldn't do any harm to do both.

                    73, John

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014
                      John,
                      Thanks and that seems to have fixed it.
                      I had to install setcap and enter the sudo setcap as you specified.
                      Now if only I understood what any of it means, Oh well still learning.

                      Thanks to all who replied.

                      Mike - n3xpd
                    • n3xpd
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 6, 2014
                        Dennis,
                        I don't think that is it.
                        My COMPORT is set to /dev/ttyUSB0
                        This is for connection to a TNC-X in USB mode and that part of the system seems to work ok.

                        Thanks for the reply.

                        Mike - n3xpd