Where's my BPQ Nodes File Gone?

  • zl4ax
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2014

       Whenever I used to have to re-boot, I was advised that I should always DELETE my BPQ Nodes file, so that the nodes list would more raplidly re-build itself after the reboot, having made space for the updated information by discarding the old Nodes file.

      For years I've been doing just that - opening BPQ32, selecting the little Nodes file, and deleting it when I re-boot.   Easy.

      But just recently, I've looked for the Nodes file when I've had to re-boot, and IT ISN'T THERE any more!    Where the heck has it gone?  And how do I delete my old Nodes list, when I can't find it ?   (the Nodes are still there, but I can't clear them, cos I don't know where to look).   Other sysops are getting mad at me.....

      Any suggestions please?

      73  Paul ZL4AX New Zealand

    • Dennis Nelson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2014
        Quick question, are you using Windows or Linux version of BPQ32? If using Windows, the location will vary depending on the version of Windows you're using. Linux is a different thing.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2014
          Paul

          There is really no reason to delete the nodes file, if & when node/nodes
          disappear the node Call/Calls will drop out by obsolescent, usually below
          OBSMIN=4

          More important is MAXNODES= in the global setting of bpq32.cfg before the
          ports section, default Is 128, since you are linked with others running
          XRouter like I do along with BPQ32, the nodes broadcast can become quite
          large.

          Once the KNOWN Nodes becomes equal or greater then MAXNODES, users that
          connect to your node may not be able to perform any commands.

          Using BPQ terminal Type S, you will need to scroll up a bit to see these
          values.

          The BPQNODES.dat is located in the BPQ32 Configuration folder now, only
          delete without BPQ programs running, Start, All Programs, BPQ32, View
          Configuration folder.

          I try to keep my nodes broadcast as low as possible so as not to flood other
          BPQ32 Nodes table.

          My MAXNODES is 400 but usually is in the 250 range.

          Let me know if you need more help.

          73

          Mike N9PMO
          BPQ32 Group Moderator
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 5, 2014

            OK, thanks guys.  I'm running a very very old dos-type (in appearance) version of BPQ32.   I'm running XP on the computer.

            I know exactly where to find the Nodes file, no help needed there.   But it has disappeared.  That's why I was asking what might have happened.

            Actually, I only delete it because one particular operator, and an important Node partner of mine, gets really irate with me for not deleting each time I reboot.  When I reboot, all links recover within minutes, except his.   His is always the last come back into the list, long after everything else has stabilised.

            But he insists that this is all my fault, so I want to do the right thing, and always delete my Nodes list whenever I re-boot.  I don't want to antagonise my friend.

            Anyhow, the Nodes file has gone missing.  I'm fully aware of where to look for it, but it's gone.  Clearly it exists somewhere else, because I still have a Node list, so it must be concealed somewhere.

            Thanks for the guidance re the size of the Nodes list and Quality settings Mike.  I have had SO many excellent and knowledgeable explanations of what is a prudent way to set all this.  I must be a total wooden-head, because I cannot understand what I'm being told here.  Eveyone who advises me says the TOTAL opposite to everyone else, leaving me with my head spinning.   So I just leave it like it is.   I have a reasonably good minqual and a max nodes of 256.  That means that I do sometimes get more than required, I know.  But it means that the Nodes that I have, are mostly good quality, and my users can be assured that there's a good chance of acheiving a connection if they choose one from my list.  It seems pointless to have a massive paged of 'dead wood', with 1000+ nodes that nobody can connect-to.

            It's been stable and working well for six years.   I just wish I could understand why this one guy constantly complains about all the problems I'm causing him because of my Node list size, and insists that I have to clear it every time.    I increased my Nodes to over 1000 at his request, but that caused mayhem, so I quickly reverted to better Qual, and smaller numbers.

            Sorry fellas, I know your advice is good, but it can only be understood by a BPQ32 expert, and I sure ain't one of those.  Packet Radio is more my field, and all this sophisticated networking stuff that you brilliant people are so great at, just leaves me floored.  I just wish I could please everyone by doing it right, but if I change my settings for one person, them I seem to make it worse for somebody else.   Eeeek@!

            Thanks again, and my deepest apologies for wasting your time with dumb questions, when I can't even understand the answers I get,  hi hi !

            73

            Paul  ZL4AX

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2014

              Paul,

              You may have turned off the AUTOSAVE parameter in bpq32.cfg. Without it there will be no BPQNODES file unless you manually save the Nodes list.

              But if when you reboot you start with your normal nodes list, the file must be there. Maybe somehow Windows is hiding it.

              I don't know how old your bpq32 is, but if has an option to "Clear Nodes and reconfig" you could turn off the AUTOSAVE in the config and then run the "Clear Nodes" option. Then you will always start with an empty nodes table.

              But generally not using a saved Nodes list will delay your ability to connect to other stations for up to an hour. until you get a NODES broadcast from them. Your problem with the other station not being able to connect is very odd. It could be a bug in the software you are running - it must be very old to have a DOS-like interface. Maybe you could update to the latest code.

              73, John

              OK, thanks guys.  I'm running a very very old dos-type (in appearance) version of BPQ32.   I'm running XP on the computer.

              I know exactly where to find the Nodes file, no help needed there.   But it has disappeared.  That's why I was asking what might have happened.

              Actually, I only delete it because one particular operator, and an important Node partner of mine, gets really irate with me for not deleting each time I reboot.  When I reboot, all links recover within minutes, except his.   His is always the last come back into the list, long after everything else has stabilised.

              But he insists that this is all my fault, so I want to do the right thing, and always delete my Nodes list whenever I re-boot.  I don't want to antagonise my friend.

              Anyhow, the Nodes file has gone missing.  I'm fully aware of where to look for it, but it& #39;s gone.  Clearly it exists somewhere else, because I still have a Node list, so it must be concealed somewhere.

[...]

            • Peter Mallett

[...]

                Hi John, Paul,

                                    John, the version Paul is running is 4.10.15 Build 4.

                The problem is with me in so much that I sometimes drop off Pauls links (as do others at times) and I can not be connected to thru Pauls node. (My ALIAS can be without problem of course)

                Paul has a MAXNODES=256 and when a full count is available, a nodes table of approx 550, this means that new nodes or reappearing nodes such as myself, can not get back in due to no room.

                Unless I am very wrong of course ..................

                The MINQUAL command when set, should overcome some of the problem.

                My apologies if I am wrong.

                Regards ..... Peter  ZL2BAU